Death of the dvd

Netflix is shite for films though, Sky is miles better. I still like DVDs too got a canny collection of horror/scifi.
Agreed, Netflix is not the place for films - for me. I enjoy a lot of b&w films and recently caught Night of the Demon (1957) on the Talking Pictures Channel. Great cinematography.

Just Google whatever film you're after and download it gratis.
The older b&w films, mostly film noir, which I like, aren't necessarily available.

Last edited:
Got a box set from cex today £3
Idiot abroad 3 series
My son's into it and Sky want to sell it to you
Got a nice Sony blu ray set up ,not used a lot but it's just the job
OP could buy a couple from argos for the future

It might just be me, but as I have a large telly, I don't want to watch something on a laptop.

What I need is a channel just for me - with all of my particular films and dramas that I want to rewatch. :lol:

I know it's not nice to ask a lady her age but you must be pushing 80 some of the stuff you watch, was shite me ganny would watch back in the day :lol:

Obviously I can play them on a blu-ray player, but this has started me thinking about ripping them all to an external hard-drive. Has anyone here done this with any success?

John Lewis is killing off the DVD player – and it's Netflix's fault
John Lewis has become the first major retailer in the UK to stop selling DVD players in its stores, following a 40% drop in sales for 2018.

I use Netflix but there are times I want to watch something produced before 1990 - such as the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice from the 80s - way before Colin Firth got his shirt wet. I have many old films and tv dramas which would never see the light of day on any streaming site. I appreciate I'm in the minority here.

Alarm clocks may also be on their way out, I admit I use the phone for the alarm...with a clock backup.

Not all bad news - the retailer said the "biggest surprise" was the resurgence of thongs and suspenders, which saw sales increase by 72 per cent and 132 per cent respectively.:rolleyes::lol:
Not these, I hope:

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Not all bad news - the retailer said the "biggest surprise" was the resurgence of thongs and suspenders, which saw sales increase by 72 per cent and 132 per cent respectively.:rolleyes::lol:

This is a surprise to me. I’ve noticed big knickers being pushed on the population left right and centre. Even bikinis at the beach are coming with belly warmer bottoms.

I’m not having it me. It’s in our prenup that big knickers will signify the beginning of the end. I was in the mall the other day with the missus (PM me!) and she asked in Victoria’s Secret (which IMO has been leaning further and further towards grandma-chic recently) and they don’t even stock thongs any more. And all the Fredericks of Hollywood shops have disappeared now too.

It’s an outrage. An OUTRAGE I tell ya!

Did you also read fairy tales marra...seems about as realistic in the here and now

Why ? You can write a film or a huge number of films onto an SD Card and insert it into a phone or laptop and it has no moving parts hence nothing to break and no power cost plus it is tiny so it is easy to carry about. It's like the equivalent of a DVD to a VHS tape or a CD to a cassette.

I don't have Netflix or Amazon and I've never streamed or downloaded anything. I wouldn't know where to start. I hope my DVD player doesn't conk out, although I seldom have time to watch any kind of TV. The kids have got some sort of games console which I'm guessing woukd play DVDs but they'd have to show me how to use the fecking thing. At least if publishers one day stop printing books I have more than enough to last me. At my current rate, assuming I live to 80 as an example, I don't have enough time to read them all.

I know it's not nice to ask a lady her age but you must be pushing 80 some of the stuff you watch, was shite me ganny would watch back in the day :lol:
Contrary to popular opinion I'm not - repeat not the oldest person on here. What's wrong with wanting to watch classic films? I watched old films with my Mam as a kid - and I still do. I don't watch soaps or any reality shite, yet I'm the one with questionable taste apparently? :rolleyes::)

Why ? You can write a film or a huge number of films onto an SD Card and insert it into a phone or laptop and it has no moving parts hence nothing to break and no power cost plus it is tiny so it is easy to carry about. It's like the equivalent of a DVD to a VHS tape or a CD to a cassette.
Why. Because it’s 2018 and the participation of sd cards has roughly dropped around 90% I would say.

But tbf slightly and I mean a tad more futureproof than a dvd .

But in terms of your post...zero chance!!!

I don't have Netflix or Amazon and I've never streamed or downloaded anything. I wouldn't know where to start. I hope my DVD player doesn't conk out, although I seldom have time to watch any kind of TV. The kids have got some sort of games console which I'm guessing woukd play DVDs but they'd have to show me how to use the fecking thing. At least if publishers one day stop printing books I have more than enough to last me. At my current rate, assuming I live to 80 as an example, I don't have enough time to read them all.
You got sky mate?

Back