Death of the dvd

Son of Stan

Striker
John Lewis is killing off the DVD player – and it's Netflix's fault
John Lewis has become the first major retailer in the UK to stop selling DVD players in its stores, following a 40% drop in sales for 2018.

I use Netflix but there are times I want to watch something produced before 1990 - such as the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice from the 80s - way before Colin Firth got his shirt wet. I have many old films and tv dramas which would never see the light of day on any streaming site. I appreciate I'm in the minority here.

Alarm clocks may also be on their way out, I admit I use the phone for the alarm...with a clock backup.

Not all bad news - the retailer said the "biggest surprise" was the resurgence of thongs and suspenders, which saw sales increase by 72 per cent and 132 per cent respectively.:rolleyes::lol:

John Lewis has become the first major retailer in the UK to stop selling DVD players in its stores, following a 40% drop in sales for 2018.

I use Netflix but there are times I want to watch something produced before 1990 - such as the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice from the 80s - way before Colin Firth got his shirt wet. I have many old films and tv dramas which would never see the light of day on any streaming site. I appreciate I'm in the minority here.

Alarm clocks may also be on their way out, I admit I use the phone for the alarm...with a clock backup.

Not all bad news - the retailer said the "biggest surprise" was the resurgence of thongs and suspenders, which saw sales increase by 72 per cent and 132 per cent respectively.:rolleyes::lol:

Ah, but the pity is while suspenders and thongs may only get better, not much use to you, to play your DVD's.....Excuse the bad pun :rolleyes::lol:

I never knew one existed. Love Pride and Prejudice

Or maybe its just a decline of standalone players since most TVs have them built in now anyway. Or you could watch them on a comp/laptop.

I never knew one existed. Love Pride and Prejudice
It's my favourite version...BBC stopped making it available after the success of the later one. So I have it from BBC Netherlands, fortunately with the English option. And - it was adapted by a woman - Fay Weldon, so more from Lizzie's perspective. It was originally one of those Sunday afternoon productions BBC used to do.

I got rid of my dvd player some years back when I was making the change to a minimalist lifestyle. You can play them on just about anything - game consoles, computers, laptops, etc, so there's really no point in having one anymore.

Or maybe its just a decline of standalone players since most TVs have them built in now anyway. Or you could watch them on a comp/laptop.
It might just be me, but as I have a large telly, I don't want to watch something on a laptop.

What I need is a channel just for me - with all of my particular films and dramas that I want to rewatch. :lol:

I did read a couple of years ago that laptop manufacturers were going to move to SD Card readers and that we would eventually buy films on SD Cards once they could manufacture the cards cheaply.

Isn't most of the older stuff on Youtube ? Would be surprised if it isn't.

It might just be me, but as I have a large telly, I don't want to watch something on a laptop.

What I need is a channel just for me - with all of my particular films and dramas that I want to rewatch. :lol:

If you get a TV Tuner card and install it in your desktop PC you can get rid of your TV and have a git big fuckoff monitor instead.

Back