David Wheater

He was a big uncompromising lump years ago, lacks pace but that's not a problem if we're organised, if we have some legs around him and he's dominant, certainly has the experience at this kind of level. Not sure like as I haven't really seen him play for years, but he's the type I'd have expected Loovens to be - come in for a year or two to steady the ship and get us out of the league then move him on.

Cause I dont think he'd an improvement on what we have

Creative midfielders is what we desperately need & maybe another striker

& back up keeper
Of course he'd be an improvement ya git big melt;):lol: It's only cos he played for Boro that you don't want him. If we signed Juninho in his prime from Boro you would have said Gavin MCcann was better!!

Wheater has represented England at under-16, under-17, under-18, under-19 and under-21 levels, but is yet to make his senior debut for his country

I like this bit. Even though he’s already announced his retirement from international football :lol:

That was 17/18 season. Don’t think he played a single game 18/19 season

Seems he played 34 times after a bit Googling - might be ok, depends if he is still up to it.

On one of their forums he came third in a poll for Player of the Season so there’s that. They also heavily back us to win the league.

Last edited:
Seems he played 34 times after a bit Googling - might be ok, depends if he is still up to it.

On one of their forums he came third in a poll for Player of the Season so there’s that. They also heavily back us to win the league.
I just read that.
That being the case he should be a definite signing. It’s not like we’re signing some old fucker who’s just sat on a bench and forgot how to play.
He’s also got experience in this league. So will have a level head (or heads being born in Redcar)

Loovens played 20 the season before we signed him and he was clinically dead last season.
True. Loovens is nearly 36 though, and clearly Sheff Wed got rid at the right time. Wheater is a few years younger, and a bit bigger actually, so hopefully will have more to offer - on a 1 year contract though. Cannot believe we gave a 35 year old Loovens a 2 year deal...

Last edited:

Back