David Gower appreciation thread

Fair enough. All about opinions I guess.
On Sky, I think Hussain, Ponting and Holding offer the best insight.
Gower and Botham are a little tired in their analysis and lack of utilisation of the technology.
I think both would be good on TMS which is definitely a bit of a throw back to a gentler time. Sky is more cutting edge and there is space in the world for both

I think Gower offers the laconic, beautifully timed, descriptive stuff in the box. Terrific anchor too. I hope Isa gets his slot rather than someone like Wardy - he's so chummy, does my head in.

I could lose Botham tbh. I think he's the weakest. Hussain, Atherton, Ponting, Warne and Holding are all excellent. It's a classy package tbh.

As a player, without doubt Gower is the most graceful English batsman that I have ever seen.

As a pundit, he is not my favourite.

That being said, my problem lies with who are they replacing him with.

It's not just about punditry, half of us on here have equal knowledge of cricket and given experience in front of the cameras could give equally expert opinion.

But it is about more than that.

The anecdotes of former times whether it be about how many pies Jack Simmons could eat, or the Tiger Moth incident, or Botham's feud with Ian Chappell are entertaining in a 6 hour commentary spell.
They can talk as much about past events, and tales of former stars as they can about the days play.
It was a few years ago when Adam Lyth was batting for England, Athers asked his fellow commentator to name the 12 batsman who had opened with Cook.
It was cringe worthy, she only got one, despite Athers saying three are playing today.

I don't mind so much if Gower and Botham leave, but I mind tremendously if they are replaced by someone worse, all for the sake of political correctness.

I don’t know what sky are thinking. It’s insanity. They’ve got a superb blend with Gower, Lloyd, Atherton, Hussain and Botham. Some humour, some brilliant analysis, some very good presenting and chemistry that’s been built up over a long period of time. None of them are past it or sound like dinosaurs. Change for change sake

I'll play Devil's Advocate....

If you're managing the SKY budget and have two blokes - plus Holding btw - who don't (or won't) commentate on T20 and presumably the 100 they'll be your first port of call in any cull.

I like them both but the world moves on. Sky's biggest assets remain in the box in my opinion 😎.

I like Butcher, hopefully he gets a promotion to a test spot. Treacothick looks a likely addition to the white ball stuff too.

Last edited:
He's good but as stated elsewhere he and Botham are commentating on a game they've never played before. Test, T20 and ODI are a world away from their era and there is no harm in fresh blood
SKY are banking on Stuart Broad retiring soon

Problem is, Gower and Botham last played international cricket in 1992 - 27 years ago. Before many viewers were born. They (like TMS) have to move with the times.
Kids growing up watching 2005 Ashes want to see the likes of Flintoff, Vaughan and Harmison not Gower, Botham and Lloyd. They don't identify with them

i get the point though, Botham and Gower were my heroes growing up, it's tough to see them go
Heard him on talkshite the other day, God save us if that's what we have to look forward to.

I'll play Devil's Advocate....

If you're managing the SKY budget and have two blokes - plus Holding btw - who don't (or won't) commentate on T20 and presumably the 100 they'll be your first port of call in any cull.

I like them both but the world moves on. Sky's biggest assets remain in the box in my opinion 😎.

I like Butcher, hopefully he gets a promotion to a test spot. Treacothick looks a likely addition to the white ball stuff too.

I like Gower, he was my first cricketing hero. But he's not done, one dayers or 20/20 England games for a while and iirc he hasn't presented a overseas test tour for a few year and I can't remember one single post on this forum saying the coverage has suffered because of it

I don’t mind Gower but he irritated me at times with his repeated interruptions and talking over other guests in the studio. Someone on here said something like Gower’s attitude came across at times that the others should shut up and gorge on his wisdom, which i thought quite accurate. On the other hand his easy demeanour, laconic, tongue-in-cheek humour and at times laissez-faire attitude was a soothing antidote to modern life and modern cricket, particularly when it wasn’t going well. I think he’s been treated shabbily by Sky and it is a big mistake if the plan is to replace him with Guha.

The one I’m going to really miss is Beefy. My first cricket hero, someone who effortlessly commands immense respect. I just love the man and his contributions in and out of the comm box and chemistry with the others, particularly Nasser and Atherton, was a joy and will be sorely missed. Seems like his health has suffered recently and he appeared ready to move on so I hope he is happy and has more time for fishing, and Durham CCC.

Last edited:

Back