Dartitis... or the yips..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played darts for a lot of years now and although not an amazing player ( local leagues wise) I do ok..

Until recently my average could be anywhere between 21-25...sometimes a little less but everyone has those games... sometimes a little more...last few months I've felt nerves kicking in as soon as " game on" is shouted.. I've always shook a little whilst playing but now its uncontrollable, feel like my whole body tightens up and I can't relax.. last game I averaged 15..

Anyone ever had it and does what I've described sound familiar?

Anyone ever had it and got rid of it?

Or has anyone got any tips on how to relax before a game etc..

I know it's not a massively important thing, but I've been playing for years and I enjoy it ( apart from the last few months) so don't want to give up until I've at least tried to rectify it... any help and advice would be appreciated.. as will the piss taking...

Played darts for a lot of years now and although not an amazing player ( local leagues wise) I do ok..

Until recently my average could be anywhere between 21-25...sometimes a little less but everyone has those games... sometimes a little more...last few months I've felt nerves kicking in as soon as " game on" is shouted.. I've always shook a little whilst playing but now its uncontrollable, feel like my whole body tightens up and I can't relax.. last game I averaged 15..

Anyone ever had it and does what I've described sound familiar?

Anyone ever had it and got rid of it?

Or has anyone got any tips on how to relax before a game etc..

I know it's not a massively important thing, but I've been playing for years and I enjoy it ( apart from the last few months) so don't want to give up until I've at least tried to rectify it... any help and advice would be appreciated.. as will the piss taking...

Has something changed? New team? New league? Changed your darts?

Has something changed? New team? New league? Changed your darts?

Changed darts just a few weeks ago cos I lost mine but this has been happening for months mate. And the set I got are as close to my old set as I could find.

Mate if you're playing in local pub leagues and are averaging 45 (15 per dart) then there's nothing to worry about. @karlm14 you agree?

To be honest mate it's a decent league, and I play for a decent team I'm afraid 15 isn't good enough to keep my place.. team is picked on averages . Out of 6 that played Monday mine was the only average under 22.. I play a singles league on a Tuesday as well and that's not went well either :oops:

Wanking into a pop sock could relieve your tension.

Or it could be Dart AIDS

If only I had the key for next door. :lol:

Last edited:
Changed darts just a few weeks ago cos I lost mine but this has been happening for months mate. And the set I got are as close to my old set as I could find.

To be honest mate it's a decent league, and I play for a decent team I'm afraid 15 isn't good enough to keep my place.. team is picked on averages . Out of 6 that played Monday mine was the only average under 22.. I play a singles league on a Tuesday as well and that's not went well either :oops:

Is that per dart or 3?

Mate if you're playing in local pub leagues and are averaging 45 (15 per dart) then there's nothing to worry about. @karlm14 you agree?

Absolutely nothing to worry about; most pub leagues you’ll win 50% of games with an average like that, HOWEVER the op states he had a 60+ 3 dart average not long ago and that’s his concern. Everyone’s game peaks and troughs. Op’s in a trough, ability doesn’t leave you overnight.

It’s funny you’ve tagged me in this because I think I seriously suffer from dartitis during a game, nearly put one in the markers foot the other week because I couldn’t release the dart.

OP - I find speeding myself up during throws and focusing purely on the basics (stance, grip, pullback, release) very quickly helps me. Although I understand everyone is different. Feels a bit stupid me trying to give advice when I’m in the same situation.

Interested in this thread.

Per dart mate

You must be in a pretty high standard of league if 66 (3 darts isn't keeping you in the team), maybe it's a case of going back to the basics and accepting that sometimes you won't keep your place. There's a reason teams have more than 6. Keep at it and try not to let it get to you. If you can go to your local pub and play on a non-darts night, with no pressure, that may help.

No good if you’re in a league but I’ve found taking a break completely for a few weeks helps if I’ve lost confidence in my throw. A few pints helps too.

Absolutely nothing to worry about; most pub leagues you’ll win 50% of games with an average like that, HOWEVER the op states he had a 60+ 3 dart average not long ago and that’s his concern. Everyone’s game peaks and troughs. Op’s in a trough, ability doesn’t leave you overnight.

It’s funny you’ve tagged me in this because I think I seriously suffer from dartitis during a game, nearly put one in the markers foot the other week because I couldn’t release the dart.

OP - I find speeding myself up during throws and focusing purely on the basics (stance, grip, pullback, release) very quickly helps me. Although I understand everyone is different. Feels a bit stupid me trying to give advice when I’m in the same situation.

That's why I tagged you in it, hope you don't mind.

Cheers for the advice mate, just recently put a board up at home again so I will try that... cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back