Dartitis... or the yips..

You must be in a pretty high standard of league if 66 (3 darts isn't keeping you in the team), maybe it's a case of going back to the basics and accepting that sometimes you won't keep your place. There's a reason teams have more than 6. Keep at it and try not to let it get to you. If you can go to your local pub and play on a non-darts night, with no pressure, that may help.

No mate , I was the only one of 6 below 22.... mine was 15. It is a decent standard, quite a few county players and some good players that could play to a higher standard. Only way the team is unchanged is when all 6 achieve a 21+ average. Hope that makes sense..

My Dad used to say he had 'dartitis' when I was a kid. Never heard anyone else use the term. His problem was he couldn't let go of the dart. He used to put the board on the middle stair and spend an hour trying to actually chuck the dart. All you ever heard was 'bastard...bastard...' The cat even used to sit in front of the board as it was rare for one to leave his hand. :lol:

Must have been irritating as he had won a few trophies in his time.

Happened to me many years ago. After a few weeks of struggling to let go of the darts, I found a solution. I changed my grip. I used to hold my darts in the same kind of way that Bristow did, then changed to a thumb and two first fingers grip. Worked wonders !

Been trying different grips this morning , holding the dart further back etc .. not found anything comfortable yet.. also been trying to speed up my throw as recommended earlier in the thread.. early days but I'll persevere...

Don't suppose I'll know if anything really works until I'm in a game situation but having a plan b or c can't do any harm...

Cheers for advice so far everyone..

Been trying different grips this morning , holding the dart further back etc .. not found anything comfortable yet.. also been trying to speed up my throw as recommended earlier in the thread.. early days but I'll persevere...

Don't suppose I'll know if anything really works until I'm in a game situation but having a plan b or c can't do any harm...

Cheers for advice so far everyone..
Try the jocky Wilson 10 pints technique.

Played darts for a lot of years now and although not an amazing player ( local leagues wise) I do ok..

Until recently my average could be anywhere between 21-25...sometimes a little less but everyone has those games... sometimes a little more...last few months I've felt nerves kicking in as soon as " game on" is shouted.. I've always shook a little whilst playing but now its uncontrollable, feel like my whole body tightens up and I can't relax.. last game I averaged 15..

Anyone ever had it and does what I've described sound familiar?

Anyone ever had it and got rid of it?

Or has anyone got any tips on how to relax before a game etc..

I know it's not a massively important thing, but I've been playing for years and I enjoy it ( apart from the last few months) so don't want to give up until I've at least tried to rectify it... any help and advice would be appreciated.. as will the piss taking...
Doesn't sound like dartitus or the yips, that's usually do to an inability to let go at all or with massive delay. Yours just sounds like a bit extra tension so you're not flowing.
KSL International Archery
zen archery: Breathing

Was that not what done for Eric Bristow ?

I see there’s a snooker version as well that finished off Steven Hendrys playing career,
I wonder what that’s called ?

Happens to me every week too, oddly it's always after the 8th pint.

Always played better after a few beers but even that's not working now.

Doesn't sound like dartitus or the yips, that's usually do to an inability to let go at all or with massive delay. Yours just sounds like a bit extra tension so you're not flowing.
KSL International Archery
zen archery: Breathing

Aye that's what I thought too mate, just didn't know if this is how it starts... it's weird but sometimes I'm forcing the darts out my hand..

Had it for a good while playing snooker, got to the stage where I could hardly play a shot at all. Was so frustrating knowing you’re good at something but just being unable to do it.

Have mostly got over it but my stroke and potting still isn’t what it was before. My safety tho has gotten better as a result weirdly

Was that not what done for Eric Bristow ?

I see there’s a snooker version as well that finished off Steven Hendrys playing career,
I wonder what that’s called ?
The yips!

Back