Dan Neil injured

Thanks for sharing, that's an interesting comparison. I haven't watched Wharton much and those stats suggest they're very different players.

Neil really strong on progressive passing. Wharton on tackles and interceptions. All skewed by the team you happened to be playing for over that time period of course. But you can see how Wharton's profile appealed to Palace, who spend a lot of time trying to get the ball back so they can give it to Eze and Olise.

This data scientist lark is easy isn't it.

The person who makes fewer progressive passes and is less successful at passing is a better passer?
Just watching him . Where he receives it and how quickly he passes it and against who . I’ve watched them both and in my view Wharton is a better passer

While I don’t want to sound like I underrate Neil - he has clear good Premier League player potential imo - those comparing his statistics this year favourably v Wharton do need to remember that Wharton is over two years younger.

That makes a difference at this age. For an age like for like, you’d have to compare v Neil’s League One season.

That, aged 20, Neil was in League One, whereas Wharton has been picked up and doesn’t look out of place in the Premier League, does I’m afraid probably tell its own story.

Just to put a better Sunderland gloss on this…

Jobe Bellingham could play another three seasons of football and still be younger than Neil is now. Chris Rigg - over four!!!

People seem to have very fixed views of player development: anything below 23 is young, anything over = development stopped. But clearly there is a huge difference.

That’s why people need to get a bit of a grip on underestimating Bellingham (not that I disagree with the consensus view he should be rotated more). He is so young.

He is a little inconsistent, but is a top player.

Ironically an injury gives us a better chance of holding on to him this summer.
You say he is a top player, I haven’t checked his stats but i think stats would show he doesn’t score many goals, he doesn’t win many tackles so basically he isn’t a defensive midfielder and he isn’t an attacking one either. Think of how many games we have been on sky the last 3 seasons. How many times has he been awarded sky man of the match?? Is he a good set piece taker? Nope. His strengths are basically if we are comfortable in a game and dominating possession he is capable of picking out a decent pass. If we are struggling in game you’ll not notice him. Feel free to post stats to prove me wrong. He’s not a bad player but certainly nowhere near as good as what some on here like to make out unfortunately. Possibly with the right coaching he might improve.

If some PL team came in with £20m for him I think he’ll go. He’d be set up for life. Having said that, I really think he loves it at Sunderland and feels the warmth.The problem is he’s likely to be one of our top earners and we’ll not attempt to give him nearer what
he wants. Due to our wage structure.
Oh certainly we would take it, but I’m not sure a manager nor chairman would be willing to part with that money on him, would be classic Lewis-Potter vibes IMO

Just read a summary of the press conference on the Echo web site. No mention of Dan Neil.

Is he injured or has this thread been a wind up?

Pointless comparing Prem stats with Championship stats mind.

Feel free to compare another way. Wharton hasn't had a full Champ season has he, although for passing:

88.9 Neil

84.6 Wharton

(Champ season 2023/2024)

The data is based on previous 365 days. Wharton’s only been in the Prem for a fraction of that time. So skewed but not pointless I’d say.
Well, stats are stats. You can spin 'em anyway ya like a lot of the time. The most telling thing is that Wharton is two years younger and is already there, having cost Palace £18m.

Well, stats are stats. You can spin 'em anyway ya like a lot of the time. The most telling thing is that Wharton is two years younger and is already there, having cost Palace £18m.

I’m not at all down on Dan Neil like you, but haway - when Neil was Wharton’s age he was in League One. Wharton is playing first team Premier League football.

I’m not sure a few stats in Neil’s favour are enough to persuade me given that!

Gutted for the lad but at least he can get an early start on getting fully fit for next season.

Had a few weaknesses in his game last season but has worked hard on them and improved massively this season. Can see why prem clubs are taking a look at him.
He seems to work on his weaknesses with a passion. Previous close seasons he has Bulked up , then improved his defensive side of the game. Wonder what his pet project is for this close season?

Back