Dan Neil injured

Do you reckon he'd get into any premier league midfield? Comparisons made with Wharton obviously and I genuinely don't think there's a great deal of difference in them.

Obviously whoever said he'd get in Liverpool's is mental..but I think he'd suit a good few premier league teams.
all depends what role he was being asked to play like.

If he was in a midfield three with a defensive midfielder possibly

If he was being asked to play the role he is for us not a chance. He’d get overwhelmed every week

all depends what role he was being asked to play like.

If he was in a midfield three with a defensive midfielder possibly

If he was being asked to play the role he is for us not a chance. He’d get overwhelmed every week

I don't even think he should be playing the role he is for us. I've said it previously that playing with Ekwah in a 2 has held him back massively this season.

We're average but the likes of Neil, Clarke,Ballard and Hume are very much above average. By quite a distance too.

I'm not even sure if Clarke leaves this summer mesel..I'm probably daft for thinking it but I just have a gut feeling he stays. But while we've had an average season, we're a few good signings away from being a team in the top 6.

Sigh players like Styles and Hjelde again though, and it's going to be another average season.

Think Rigg and Ekwah together is a disaster waiting to happen. Keep Rigg where he is for the rest of the season or as a 10 and bring Styles into midfield.
Maybe play Evans with Ekwah, we've only got 3 games left, and he's probably away in the summer. One last dance maybe, we'll, 3 last dances 🕺

Maybe play Evans with Ekwah, we've only got 3 games left, and he's probably away in the summer. One last dance maybe, we'll, 3 last dances 🕺

Depends where Evans is after another setback. He didn't play for the U21s the other night so can only assume that is because of the Neil news ? Has Evans been training ?

Wouldnt get anywhere near villas team if they get into the champions league.

Liverpool, he wouldnt play.

West Ham would be a good move for him, but would he get infront of Alvarez and JWP? Not sure.

Wolves would depend on Gomes leaving.

The transfer merry-go round in the summer incoming.
Despite him being “one of our own” he won’t get anywhere near a start in the Prem. In general our centre midfield has been weak as piss against loads of Championship teams which he has been part of

Aye I agree. He quite clearly is the better passer.
I'm not a fan of stats tbh. "A better passer" could mean a players stats are through the roof from playing it safe all game and playing 5-10 yard passes sideways and backwards all game...compared to a more risky player who tries to make things happen.

I'm not a fan of stats tbh. "A better passer" could mean a players stats are through the roof from playing it safe all game and playing 5-10 yard passes sideways and backwards all game...compared to a more risky player who tries to make things happen.

No I know what you're saying. But some of the passes from Neil have been canny delightful this season like. Put Neil further up the pitch and we'll benefit from it. He's playing deep purely because Ekwah can't be trusted to

He’s a decent midfielder, he’d probably fit reasonably well into a lower prem league team and flourish, bearing in mind some of the crap performances he’s had along side him this season. Same with Ballard, stick him in a decent defence with a senior centre half and again he’d come on in leaps and bounds.

May well change next season if we get a good dcm to play in midfield with him as that takes a load of pressure off his shoulders and he should flourish more

As for the injury just stick him with the rest. Seasons done now so makes little difference about rushing back, just get him right for next season

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, that's an interesting comparison. I haven't watched Wharton much and those stats suggest they're very different players.

Neil really strong on progressive passing. Wharton on tackles and interceptions. All skewed by the team you happened to be playing for over that time period of course. But you can see how Wharton's profile appealed to Palace, who spend a lot of time trying to get the ball back so they can give it to Eze and Olise.

This data scientist lark is easy isn't it.
Wharton is more mobile and I think he’s a better passer
The person who makes fewer progressive passes and is less successful at passing is a better passer?

Last edited:

Back