Cynthia Erivo comments on Sunderland

Couldn’t give a shiny shite what people like this think.
Sunderland is a deindustrialise town that’s suffered from years of government underinvestment. It’s had to reinvent itself many times over and continues to do so.
The concept of judging a place based on its inventory of cultural attractions is false and can be temporary. Look at the renaissance of Gateshead but that took government investment….like Manchester like Liverpool etc
I suspect these misguided comments are related to the erroneous concept that Sunderland doesn’t have any diversity. Probably a legacy of the Brexit result?

It’s a strange comment that a place is too white. How do you make it less white?

All cities in the U.K. are open for all it’s citizens to live in, no matter the colour of their skin.

What should Sunderland do to be less white? How could it attract more non-white people?

I would suggest it’s likely a lot less ‘white’ than when Erivo would have last visited which is seemingly over a decade ago.

Also seems like a lot of university students are foreign nationals albeit this is obviously a more transient population.

It’s a strange comment that a place is too white. How do you make it less white?

All cities in the U.K. are open for all it’s citizens to live in, no matter the colour of their skin.

What should Sunderland do to be less white? How could it attract more non-white people?

Why does it need to be less white or more white or more non white or less non white ?

It would appear despite people's claim there's millions trying to invade not many of Britain's settlers fancied here . For a City we've been untouched by stuff you get in many cities around the UK

It would appear despite people's claim there's millions trying to invade not many of Britain's settlers fancied here . For a City we've been untouched by stuff you get in many cities around the UK

In the last couple of years I have seen a lot more people of different ethnic origin in and around the City.

We are becoming more diverse as a city and a nation.

Why does it need to be less white or more white or more non white or less non white ?
That’s sort of my point, places evolve. It’s not our fault people decide not too settle here. Maybe the shipbuilders and coal faces were not to their liking?

In the last couple of years I have seen a lot more people of different ethnic origin in and around the City.

We are becoming more diverse as a city and a nation.
Yeah
obvious Jump in black families
All good 👍
That’s sort of my point, places evolve. It’s not our fault people decide not too settle here. Maybe the shipbuilders and coal faces were not to their liking?
I'm no expert but if say 100 settled in Leeds they'll spread the word and more come
It's a natural thing I think

Last edited:
acceptable racism to demand white displacement, standard racism to ask why. until people who suggest places are too white get told to fuck off it just emboldens the narrative that white = bad.

But that's exactly what most people are saying on this thread, telling her to fuck off

It's not acceptable in anyone's eyes to demand displacement of people based on ethnicity or any other factor. I'm not sure where you have seen or heard such demands

You know what? I could very probably say “You go to London and you’re like, ‘Where the fuck am I?’ I don’t know where I am. This is not where I live.”

And I’ll admit to being occasionally irritated at various people on TV and articles - UK based and overseas, especially American, who present or interpret ‘the UK’ as being pretty much ‘London’. The UK is not London. Nor is it Manchester or Liverpool. Only those bits are. There are places that are Falkirk or Warrington or Nuneaton or Kendal or Sunderland. They’re not London.

It’s got fuck all to do with race like.

Back