Cyclist found jointly liable for hitting pedestrian in road reading mobile

It happens to me on a regular basis where people walk out into the road without looking with or without a phone. A couple of years ago I was indicating right and just about to turn right when a cyclist appeared from behind my car and moving onto the wrong side of the road to overtake me. Had I not taken one last look in the mirror he would have been injured, who would have been to blame? I think that we must all be prepared to stop at any time, many people live in a conscious coma, it’s a fact of life.

You for not checking your mirror. A motorcyclist did the same to me, overtook me as I was turning right. If I hadn’t have caught him in my mirror at the last minute, he would have died.

Idiots.

The 'joint liability' comment in the article and thread title is misleading. It's impossible to be in part liable for injury to yourself.

If they meant to say that there was a reduction for contributory negligence, I hope she appeals and a higher court finds the bicyclist 100% liable. The judge was absolutely right: cyclists must plan for this.

It should be banned in central London

Why? She's clearly contributed to the accident by stepping off the pavement whilst not at a crossing and whilst not paying attention to the road. You couldn't get a more text book example of contributory negligence. The cyclist could have possibly stopped earlier but from the extract it seems they both tried to avoid one another but ended up heading in the same direction resulting in the collision. 50/50 fault seems reasonable.

I just don't trust anyone else on the roads at all. Assume everyone else around you is going to do the most stupid possible thing at any given moment and you can usually keep yourself safe.

Where I live, I encounter very few commuter cyclists. The vast majority are teenage lads and young men. They’re the biggest danger on the roads I’ve ever seen.

The young lads often have their lass or their mate on the bike with them, not on the back though, they sit on the handlebars, so the bike can’t stop and the rider can’t see or steer properly.

Combine that with jumping traffic lights, going from pavement to road, cutting people up at junctions...it’s a nightmare

I think the nuance here is that it seems it was a crossing that had just turned to green when she stepped out. Stupid thing to do but happens regularly, to the extent that we all factor this in when driving - when the lights go green you keep an eye out for the dickhead who still tries to cross.

The judge seems to be suggesting the cyclist didn’t anticipate this and, although the light was now green, there was someone on the road. He reactively tried to stop, but he should really have proactively anticipated the situation and been better prepared to stop.

Just what I’ve inferred like.

That seems a fair assessment. Some cyclist are more aggressive when they are in traffic and could possible be deemed partially at fault if someone recklessly steps out into the road. The swift aggressive cycling by some would be a factor in the collision. The judge seems to be implying that cyclists should moderate their cycling depending on the area they are cycling through and this seems reasonable.

Where I live, I encounter very few commuter cyclists. The vast majority are teenage lads and young men. They’re the biggest danger on the roads I’ve ever seen.

The young lads often have their lass or their mate on the bike with them, not on the back though, they sit on the handlebars, so the bike can’t stop and the rider can’t see or steer properly.

Combine that with jumping traffic lights, going from pavement to road, cutting people up at junctions...it’s a nightmare
Trackie clad delinquents doing wheelies in the middle of the road are the worst. Fair game to be squashed.

Where do you live?:lol::lol::lol:

That seems a fair assessment. Some cyclist are more aggressive when they are in traffic and could possible be deemed partially at fault if someone recklessly steps out into the road. The swift aggressive cycling by some would be a factor in the collision. The judge seems to be implying that cyclists should moderate their cycling depending on the area they are cycling through and this seems reasonable.
In the same way it would be expected of a car driver in the same circumstances. If 15mph is the normal speed in London for cyclin on the road how was he doing that when the light had just changed to green? He failed to anticipate the potential hazard and moderate his riding accordingly. He also had time to shout and sound an air horn. Maybe brake instead and the bike will stop pretty damn quick

Where do you live?:lol::lol::lol:

An unnamed part of South Yorkshire.

They’re worse than the gypsy carts on Bishop bypass. They’re always riding the wrong way down one way streets, riding down pedestrianised streets, jumping traffic lights, going from pavement to road without looking, the morons even cycle in the multi-storey car park. Absolute cretins.

An unnamed part of South Yorkshire.

They’re worse than the gypsy carts on Bishop bypass. They’re always riding the wrong way down one way streets, riding down pedestrianised streets, jumping traffic lights, going from pavement to road without looking, the morons even cycle in the multi-storey car park. Absolute cretins.

I would move if I were you

I think it's an arrogance that many cyclists especially the militant ones and drivers have. That once it's green it's fair game.
I suspect he knew the timings of the lights and approached them at a speed he knew he would be able to get through quickly as soon as it's green - but not factoring in the zombies or those twats who still think they can make it across.
I think both at fault is correct here.

The 'joint liability' comment in the article and thread title is misleading. It's impossible to be in part liable for injury to yourself.

If they meant to say that there was a reduction for contributory negligence, I hope she appeals and a higher court finds the bicyclist 100% liable. The judge was absolutely right: cyclists must plan for this.

What utter nonsense from the board's residents cyclist hater.

If going too fast to brake, the cyclist could surely have steared to avoid her in the time it took to reach his air horn?

Seems to me he was trying to make a point but it's pretty obvious that if you do something to alarm someone the result is going to hard to predict.

The pedestrian was on her mobile not the cyclist.

Sets a dangerous precedent this case.... it’s like phone zombie central in Newcastle on my commute into work.

100% agree

the amount of people who are on their phones and step out in front of, or take no notice of oncoming traffic - esp buses :lol: really boils my piss. then usually look at the driver,like they're the ones,out of order.

not too far from where i live, there's a dual use bridge and the amount of people walking in and using their phones,on the cycle part, is ridiculous. same goes for people crossing the road,not too far from it. again,seemingly oblivious to cars and cyclists,coming around the corner and just head down and on their phone.

i can't get my head around cyclists who are on their phones or have earphones in, either.

100% agree

the amount of people who are on their phones and step out in front of, or take no notice of oncoming traffic - esp buses :lol: really boils my piss. then usually look at the driver,like they're the ones,out of order.

not too far from where i live, there's a dual use bridge and the amount of people walking in and using their phones,on the cycle part, is ridiculous. same goes for people crossing the road,not too far from it. again,seemingly oblivious to cars and cyclists,coming around the corner and just head down and on their phone.

i can't get my head around cyclists who are on their phones or have earphones in, either.

I see loads of cyclists on their phones. I just pip the horn at them.

Back