Cycling....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing a bike ride next weekend, my first one of any real distance.

Been wondering if I need any thing extra that may not be obvious. Bike and gear are all OK.
I've been told I need a gel to numb the pain of the saddle and also to add some type of nutrients to my water to keep me going. I was also wondering what type of snacks to take as I've been advised by the organiser to take some but I don't want to turn up with a Curly Wurly and a box of Malteasers etc....

Any advice would be appreciated......

Been wondering if I need any thing extra that may not be obvious. Bike and gear are all OK.
I've been told I need a gel to numb the pain of the saddle and also to add some type of nutrients to my water to keep me going. I was also wondering what type of snacks to take as I've been advised by the organiser to take some but I don't want to turn up with a Curly Wurly and a box of Malteasers etc....

How far are you riding? It will make a huge difference to the advice you need!

I wear lycra cycling shorts with orange padding, looks like I've got a baboons arse, if you turned them inside out.

They're crucial, and a full water bottle, and a bell I ring at people as I ride past. A tuna sarnie, of course. Gloves, shades, headphones, a windcheater. A snood if I'm down the coast there.

Good padding, 2 bottles - 1 with electrolytes, flapjack, sorreen and haribo. Depending how far you go, i would consider making sarnies using 'thins' - fits perfect in a cycling jersey pocket

How long?

Puncture repair kit is a given like.

around 200 miles over 3 days, I've got some spare inner tubes so I don't have to fanny around fixing a puncture

I wear lycra cycling shorts with orange padding, looks like I've got a baboons arse, if you turned them inside out.

They're crucial, and a full water bottle, and a bell I ring at people as I ride past. A tuna sarnie, of course. Gloves, shades, headphones, a windcheater. A snood if I'm down the coast there.

Snood, I've got one in my golf bag, I'll dig it out now

How far are you riding? It will make a huge difference to the advice you need!

200 miles over 3 days

How long?

Puncture repair kit is a given like.
Spare inner tube, pump, 5 or 6 energy gels and a couple of packets of jelly sweets. If it is well organised and any distance they will have feed stations to top up your nutrients, and all you really need is a few quick hits of sugar to keep you going and a protein bar to eat at the end to help with your recovery. It would also help to plot a pub near by the finish that you can pop In to eat half a chicken, loads of potatoes or chips and a couple of well earned ales, also to help with your recovery!

Cyclists.

Is 10 mile in 30 minutes considered a decent speed?

I have recently started working out again after over 12 months with no exercise whatsoever (weights) and usually end my session with 30 minutes of cycling at a speed which I feel is quite tough, I usually do 10 mile in 30 minutes, is this good?

Cyclists.

Is 10 mile in 30 minutes considered a decent speed?

I have recently started working out again after over 12 months with no exercise whatsoever (weights) and usually end my session with 30 minutes of cycling at a speed which I feel is quite tough, I usually do 10 mile in 30 minutes, is this good?
In a gym? 20mph is great. Are you sure it's not km?

In a gym? 20mph is great. Are you sure it's not km?

Is was KM but then I calculated it into miles. This has me absolutely dripping with sweat and legs burning intensely mind. I always have considered myself very unfit however I find cycling like this quite good, If you asked me to jog 5 minutes none stop I would probably collapse, sure I have a lung problem.

Is was KM but then I calculated it into miles. This has me absolutely dripping with sweat and legs burning intensely mind. I always have considered myself very unfit however I find cycling like this quite good, If you asked me to jog 5 minutes none stop I would probably collapse, sure I have a lung problem.
I'll be surprised at that mind. But well done.

I’ve been using a watt bike at the gym , to mimic a tempo run , 40-45 mins once a week , boring as hell mind :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back