Cyclescheme query - what bike to go for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cycle scheme isnt what it's cracked upto be mind. You don't own the bike and have to pay a lump to keep it after year which wipes out the savings or you pay a little bit and rent it again for another 1 or 2 and then it's yours. I got the cycle to work for the bairns bike, a voucher for £450 and after the year they wanted £80 for me to own it or £15 to hire it again and then It would be mine. If I knew this I would of just got the cash together and pay, places will give you 10% for paying cash anyway. Our lasses work done a scheme called cycle solutions, that was even worse, you are limited to the own site for bikes and not much choice.

It is a good way of paying I suppose as it comes out of you wages.

Personally I'd get a mountain bike as you can always put hybris tyres on it if you want. You usually can put mtb on a hybrid as the forks are narrower

Cycle scheme isnt what it's cracked upto be mind. You don't own the bike and have to pay a lump to keep it after year which wipes out the savings or you pay a little bit and rent it again for another 1 or 2 and then it's yours. I got the cycle to work for the bairns bike, a voucher for £450 and after the year they wanted £80 for me to own it or £15 to hire it again and then It would be mine. If I knew this I would of just got the cash together and pay, places will give you 10% for paying cash anyway. Our lasses work done a scheme called cycle solutions, that was even worse, you are limited to the own site for bikes and not much choice.

It is a good way of paying I suppose as it comes out of you wages.

Personally I'd get a mountain bike as you can always put hybris tyres on it if you want. You usually can put mtb on a hybrid as the forks are narrower

Theres a number of schemes.

I’m lucky to have a good one. Own it after a year, 55% of value paid.

I bought a hybrid thin tyre Specialized when I started cycling to work .
It was a great bike even survived when I got knocked over outside nissan.
So when I got back on the bike 18 month later other than a bent brake lever it was as good as new .
Highly recommend this make.

Me dads just got a new hybrid Carrera off Halfords for 300 quid ish. Front suspension. Looks decent for the price, and for what he wants it for. Shields Halfords, if that's any help.

I bought an ebike hybrid about April and just sailed past the bastard when we cycled to the pub on sunda like. Smoking a hamlet.
You realise front suspension on a 300 bike is a waste of time?

Unless it is an air fork there is no point in a suspension fork. The standard coil fork was heavy and shit, just replaced the fork on a carerra hard tail for a rigid fork and either use semi slick tyres or xc tyres as my everyday bike. I also have a full suspension bossnut with air suspension and feels so much better than cheap coil suspension.

Unless it is an air fork there is no point in a suspension fork. The standard coil fork was heavy and shit, just replaced the fork on a carerra hard tail for a rigid fork and either use semi slick tyres or xc tyres as my everyday bike. I also have a full suspension bossnut with air suspension and feels so much better than cheap coil suspension.
Coils are fine if they are decent. I had a RockShox Judy for years and it worked flawlessly. Back then your bottom end was elastomer forks that didn’t work in the winter, and I think the only air fork around was a mega pricey RockShox SID. The problem you have now is that everyone expects to see front sus, so they knock out any old shit to hit the price point. I bought the bairn a £500 bike last year, expecting half decent kit, but the Suntour Coil forks are an abomination.
However, air forks can also be flawed due to their increasing spring rate as compression increases. Coil forks at least have a linear rate through their whole travel.

Last edited:
So I plumped for a Focus Crater Lake 3.7 and it arrived yesterday from Rutland Cycles. Only thing I could find online.

Took it for a spin and it’s like a bloody rocket. Also went for a large frame as I’m 5’11 but it feels enormous even with the seat down. I’d genuinely be terrified of riding it in the rain come to think of it.
Coils are fine if they are decent. I had a RockShox Judy for years and it worked flawlessly. Back then your bottom end was elastomer forks that didn’t work in the winter, and I think the only air fork around was a mega pricey RockShox SID. The problem you have now is that everyone expects to see front sus, so they knock out any old shit to hit the price point. I bought the bairn a £500 bike last year, expecting half decent kit, but the Suntour Coil forks are an abomination.
However, air forks can also be flawed due to their increasing spring rate as compression increases. Coil forks at least have a linear rate through their whole travel.

pretty sure mine has a suntour coil fork like :p

I was warned against getting air forks at this price range but last time I owned a suspension bike was an Argos special Mountain bike that I used to ride all over on my paper rounds and that had springs all over the shop. I suppose I’d have to try one to make a judgement

Last edited:
So I plumped for a Focus Crater Lake 3.7 and it arrived yesterday from Rutland Cycles. Only thing I could find online.

Took it for a spin and it’s like a bloody rocket. Also went for a large frame as I’m 5’11 but it feels enormous even with the seat down. I’d genuinely be terrified of riding it in the rain come to think of it.

I was warned against getting air forks at this price range but last time I owned a suspension bike was an Argos special Mountain bike that I used to ride all over on my paper rounds and that had springs all over the shop. I suppose I’d have to try one to make a judgement
Put the seat back up

Who advised you that? The one you’ve got has a massive 63mm of travel, so that should help when cycling over any errant pieces of paper.

That is a comfortable bike - should be great for what you need and more.

Make sure your seat isn't too low - otherwise your wasting energy/efficiency in the hamstrings. Also make sure your tyres are blown up fully - maybe 60-70 psi looking at those. And get out there and ride the bloody thing!!! :cool:

That is a comfortable bike - should be great for what you need and more.

Make sure your seat isn't too low - otherwise your wasting energy/efficiency in the hamstrings. Also make sure your tyres are blown up fully - maybe 60-70 psi looking at those. And get out there and ride the bloody thing!!! :cool:
Not today though because it’s raining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back