Cyclescheme query - what bike to go for

I’ve applied for this through my employer as I can cycle to work with a short journey and I’ve fancied getting into riding for a while now mainly for fitness reasons. They’ve sent me the voucher today so I can take it to a shop/online retailer and order a bike and accessories that I need.

Anyone clued up on bikes know what I should go for/avoid? My budget is around £600 and I’m interested in a hybrid as my commute would be a mix of roads and woodland areas/trails

Marin or Cube are around that budget. Stock seems a bit better now than a month back but still not great.

I spoke with evens a few weeks ago about a specialized sirrus, they had no hybrids in and a Sirrus would be waiting until September at the earliest.

I went in Halfords yesterday cos I needed a new inner tube in a hurry. The amount of stock they had in there I thought they were having a closing down sale. Only inner tubes they had were 20 & 24" presta anarl. Must be kids bike sizes those two. Only bikes they had were electric.

I went in Halfords yesterday cos I needed a new inner tube in a hurry. The amount of stock they had in there I thought they were having a closing down sale. Only inner tubes they had were 20 & 24" presta anarl. Must be kids bike sizes those two. Only bikes they had were electric.

Massive sales and plenty stock over here like but everyfucker cycles everywhere. Was in the bike shop close to mine earlier for a 20" tube for the bairn but they had everything but

Me dads just got a new hybrid Carrera off Halfords for 300 quid ish. Front suspension. Looks decent for the price, and for what he wants it for. Shields Halfords, if that's any help.

I bought an ebike hybrid about April and just sailed past the bastard when we cycled to the pub on sunda like. Smoking a hamlet.

Last edited:
If you are starting out i wouldn’t over think it too much, hybrid or mountain bike, it won’t make a big difference to your enjoyment mate. Assuming you can find one, 600 will get you a very decent starter bike.

If you are starting out i wouldn’t over think it too much, hybrid or mountain bike, it won’t make a big difference to your enjoyment mate. Assuming you can find one, 600 will get you a very decent starter bike.

This basically...easy to overthink it all. Based on what the OP is planning to use it for any of these would be fine.
Budget also will get you a decent first bike, but as mentioned there might be a wait in getting hold of one.

Took me a few hours of raking around last night but managed to find a Focus Crater Lake and some bits to go with it. However in light of the current situation I’m not expecting it by Friday.

few other people at work who fancied them also said the same thing today about stocks. Apparently some aren’t replenishing until the new year

Took me a few hours of raking around last night but managed to find a Focus Crater Lake and some bits to go with it. However in light of the current situation I’m not expecting it by Friday.

few other people at work who fancied them also said the same thing today about stocks. Apparently some aren’t replenishing until the new year
One of the bikes I was looking at last month had a lead time of Feb next year 😂

Wife bought a hybrid and it was equally useless on the road as it was off the road.

Buy a 29'er but watch out for small front cogs which make the slow on the road.

I bought a Trek and it's mint.

Back