Cruises.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just done the Norwegian fjords 7 days, our first cruise the Balmoral Fred Olson about 1300 passengers, amazing scenery, booked a year before as wanted balcony room, I know look at me, had an amazing trip Norway very expensive though, went to Bergen, Flåm, Olden & Hellesylt, would recommend, we chose to go beginning of May to get the best of the waterfalls as the snow is still melting but temperatures were lovely down in the fjords, lots of evening scenic cruising with Fred Olson which some of the bigger ships don’t do apparently, people on the ship told us been with P&O same cruise but no evening scenic cruising,

Right, nivver been on a cruise in my life before but....

I've decided to hang up the old work boots and retire towards the end of August and fancy a bit of a chill out with the missus and considering a small cruise.

Nowt too lengthy for my first one in case we hate it, mebbes around 10 days and nothing long haul, possibly just a European jaunt to dip a toe in the water.

Have I left it too late for say early September and will I struggle to get anything decent?

Any recommendations or advice on companies, ships, itineraries etc.

Ta
You will get something but probably won't get your cabin choice. I like a balcony cabin. Nice when you are waiting for the missus taking an age to get f***ing ready - sitting there having a nice beer

I'm going on a 10 day jaunt with P@O round southern Spain, Portuugal and Gib early October for my honeymoon. Leaving from Southampton.

Went on 7 day one last year round the western med leaving from Rome with Royal Caribbean. Had couple of days in Rome beforehand. Was a cracking holiday
Going from Southampton is a big bonus. Easy as fuck.

You will get something but probably won't get your cabin choice. I like a balcony cabin. Nice when you are waiting for the missus taking an age to get f***ing ready - sitting there having a nice beer

Going from Southampton is a big bonus. Easy as fuck.

We lost our luggage last time when we got to Rome airport so taking no chances this time :lol:

You will get something but probably won't get your cabin choice. I like a balcony cabin. Nice when you are waiting for the missus taking an age to get f***ing ready - sitting there having a nice beer.
Aye, that was what was going through my mind. If I can get something so late it will probably be shite that experienced cruisers avoid :lol:

I've decided to hang up the old work boots and retire towards the end of August and fancy a bit of a chill out with the missus and considering a small cruise.

Nowt too lengthy for my first one in case we hate it, mebbes around 10 days and nothing long haul, possibly just a European jaunt to dip a toe in the water.

Have I left it too late for say early September and will I struggle to get anything decent?

Ta
Have a look at Iglu cruises. We've just booked a weeks Thomson med cruise for July through them. AI drinks package £199 per head per week, they claim drinks prices similar to uk pubs so around 4 quid a pint

Last edited by a moderator:
The american companies charge silly money for drink. £7 for a pint iirc or more.

The british cruise companies are more reasonable. Peroni on P&O £4.35 a pint or sommet, Stella £4, large glass of wine £6 so its decent value.

We lost our luggage last time when we got to Rome airport so taking no chances this time :lol:
We nearly did a fly cruise from Malta this year but just couldn't get our heads round how we would take all of our clobber. We took 6 cases/bags on our last one. Our lass had a case full of shoes. I wouldn't mind but they don't even get used off the friggin ship

Ta
Try North Shields to Amsterdam first , just to get used to sea sickness !

I don’t know where you live but I’m assuming you are North East/Northern based so you can avoid flying or travelling to Southampton by sailing from Port of Tyne (North Shields). There’s still quite a bit to choose from and the following link will allow you to click through to the relevant booking page for the cruise line. You have a choice of three cruise lines; Fred. Olsen, Cruise & Maritime Voyages (CMV) and Marella (used to be Thomson) - they have the Discovery sailing out of the Tyne this year, which seems a really nice ship. As another poster has already said Fred’s Balmoral is a smaller ship but still really smart, their service and staff are second to none. CMV are a fast growing British owned company and are acquiring and refitting ships at an impressive rate, Magellan is a larger ship, they often do BOGOF offers.

The following schedule shows both transit and turnaround calls. Transits are visiting ships that you cannot usually join at Tyne. Turnarounds are those starting/ ending a cruise at Tyne. You can filter the list f on the drop down at the top of the page. None of this should be confused with the DFDS ferry by the way!!

Cruise Schedule | Port of Tyne

PM me if you want to any more...

Last edited:
the downside of sailing from southampton is you spend 2 days out 'at sea' and the same on the return. so a 10 day cruise will only give you about 5-6 days of mediterranean port visits. plus you have to cross the bay of biscay.

actually there's loads of stuff to consider, pm me if you like.

Our cruise flies out to Malaga to join the ship and flies back from there so the whole cruise is in the warm weather zone :cool:

Ta
I've been on Thomson/Marella cruises. Nearly all ships are all inclusive so you pay what you pay and nowt else. They are not the biggest or best ships but the staff are great and you don't get many cruise snobs.

I get 10% discount from a few of the cruise companies, give me a shout if you know who you want to go with to see if I’ve got a code for them.
Ooh which ones ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gets good from 2:20:cool:
The clip t 3:30, the full erosion is on YouTube. The fat lad in the striped top goes left and right on the floor with all the furniture about 4 times. And just think, when that lass who hit the pillar recovers from her broken nose and concussion she can look forward to the evening's entertainment- some shit ex-working men's club singer singing "Love is in the Air".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back