Cricket Books

I could have stayed there all day, mainly old ones, Wisdens/biographies/annuals, the best collection I've seen. There are a few newish on the ground floor and all kinds on the second floor. A proper rabbit warren of a shop.

Do need a knew one just finished penguins stopped play

Sad ending like

One of the funniest books I’ve read
Great book. I played for and against some of the teams mentioned in the book and knew the lad Cei. Having moved away from London I lost touch with him. Reading about his death in the book was a really strange experience.

I'm not sure if this is still in print but you'd get a copy on Abe Books or somewhere. If you can get a hold of In Quest of the Ashes, Douglas Jardine's classic account of the "Bodyline" Tour, get it. It's a brilliant read and a real insight into the lengths we or any team had to go to to stop Bradman from running a mock.

I'm not sure if this is still in print but you'd get a copy on Abe Books or somewhere. If you can get a hold of In Quest of the Ashes, Douglas Jardine's classic account of the "Bodyline" Tour, get it. It's a brilliant read and a real insight into the lengths we or any team had to go to to stop Bradman from running a mock.

thanks will look for that

Chris Waters' biography of Fred Trueman is an excellent read and is far better than Fiery Fred's 'As it Was' in which amongst other things we are expected to believe that Fred quoted Euripides when he was sacked from his Sunday Post column.:eek::lol:

Agree about this book.I got it for £1 at the CC Booksale at the Riverside last season.

Last edited:
Chris Waters' biography of Fred Trueman is an excellent read and is far better than Fiery Fred's 'As it Was' in which amongst other things we are expected to believe that Fred quoted Euripides when he was sacked from his Sunday Post column.:eek::lol:

Agree about this book.I got it for £1 at the CC Booksale at the Riverside last season.
Chris Waters’ Trueman biography is magnificent

He's good like. Did a canny Boycott one IIRC

May have been a different thread but I am sure you at some point have given a glowing endorsement of the Boycott biography. Always stuck in my mind so I asked my brother to get me it for Christmas. 6 chapters in and very impressed so far, thanks :)

Mrs TBM got me this for my birthday last year:

Very comprehensive and some fascinating chapters about the origins of test cricket, tours and the class divide between amateurs and gentlemen. as well as the colonial impact.

May have been a different thread but I am sure you at some point have given a glowing endorsement of the Boycott biography. Always stuck in my mind so I asked my brother to get me it for Christmas. 6 chapters in and very impressed so far, thanks :)

Mrs TBM got me this for my birthday last year:

Very comprehensive and some fascinating chapters about the origins of test cricket, tours and the class divide between amateurs and gentlemen. as well as the colonial impact.
I think it was the Leo McKinstry one I read which was great but there has been others I think. I hope ou enjoy it. Someone bought me Tufnell's for Xmas which I can imagine being a bit more of a lighthearted wheeze!

Back