Credit Card Refunds - Service Not Received

Contacting your credit card company and asking for a chargeback would normally cover it - but that is only valid for 120 days after the transaction.

You should still be able to make a Section 75 claim though (Google it and fire off a claim to your CC company)
In some cases the 120 day timescale starts from when the expected service would have taken place, not the payment for said service.

Definitely worth getting in touch with the bank and raising a claim to see what they say.

Even booked through a third party, if the cc was used they will refund. It’s up to the provider to prove that the goods were given, not the purchaser. We get it a lot at work (hotels)

Just phone the CC company and ask if you can section 75 it. Visa / MasterCard refund he money in the end, not the bank, so the bank should let you know if it falls under section 75.

In some cases the 120 day timescale starts from when the expected service would have taken place, not the payment for said service.

Definitely worth getting in touch with the bank and raising a claim to see what they say.
That's how I understood it
Even booked through a third party, if the cc was used they will refund. It’s up to the provider to prove that the goods were given, not the purchaser. We get it a lot at work (hotels)
I'm trying the CC company in the morning

Last edited:
You will definitely get a refund whichever route it takes. No doubt there will be some form filling etc and a bit of your time, but it will be worth it.
There’s not a lot tbh. They just ask us to prove they were there. Signature is enough. Don’t even request cctv footage.

Technically you are not covered under section 75 since you booked through a 3rd party intermediary (Trivago). The protection technically only covers you when you pay directly to the end merchant i.e. the hotel itself BUT most credit card companies should offer a refund since there is a clear breach of contract here. Have you asked Trivago for a refund first? Might be worth getting something in writing from them first since the credit card company will normally ask if you have attempted recourse directly before they initiate a charge back.
Some good advice here.

Just to update
The travel company are disputing the chargeback so I could still lose the money for a hotel room that doesn’t exist, and hasn’t even been a hotel for the past 6 months
It’s a crazy world at times

Just to update
The travel company are disputing the chargeback so I could still lose the money for a hotel room that doesn’t exist, and hasn’t even been a hotel for the past 6 months
If your story is correct and you haven’t left anything out, the company won’t be able to prove what they’re saying, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Just to be a nebby bastard, why did you book a hotel in Glasgow that far in advance? I'm staying there tomorrow night and haven't yet got round to booking a place to stay. Or train tickets.
It's best to book train tickets well in advance if possible. The price difference can be hundreds of percents.

I travel on mare trains than you and that's rubbish in my experience. Just booked a ticket to Edinburgh tomorrow and it's cost me 8 quid.
I'm going off my experience as well. You can get the odd deal like a daft low price to Edinburgh, but generally what I've said is true.

Just to update

Don't worry mate, that's standard practice for the chancers to try their luck. They won't have a leg to stand on here, how could they. Fear not.

Back