Credit Card Refunds - Service Not Received

EcosseMackem

Striker
I booked a hotel in Glasgow via Trivago last May for a trip last week
I got to the "hotel" to find that it (and I swear this could only happen to me) had closed down a few months ago and is now a refugee holding centre.
I've contacted the booking agent (SuperTravel) but I suspect I'm not going to have any luck getting my cash back.
Can I claim it back via the credit card I used to pay for it
Anyone know the rules, timescales etc
Thanks in advance

I booked a hotel in Glasgow via Trivago last May for a trip last week
I got to the "hotel" to find that it (and I swear this could only happen to me) had closed down a few months ago and is now a refugee holding centre.
I've contacted the booking agent (SuperTravel) but I suspect I'm not going to have any luck getting my cash back.
Can I claim it back via the credit card I used to pay for it
Anyone know the rules, timescales etc
Thanks in advance
I had almost the same thing happen a few years ago, my bank refunded me within 48 hours

Contacting your credit card company and asking for a chargeback would normally cover it - but that is only valid for 120 days after the transaction.

You should still be able to make a Section 75 claim though (Google it and fire off a claim to your CC company)

They should refund it while they investigate at least
Aye this.....

I was in Dusseldorf the other week and used a cash machine to withdraw €50 which didn't come out, wasn't sure if the machine would recognise the fact and cancel the transaction, but a couple of days later it appeared as a transaction.

Disputed it and Citibank put a temporary credit into the account while they investigate.

Technically you are not covered under section 75 since you booked through a 3rd party intermediary (Trivago). The protection technically only covers you when you pay directly to the end merchant i.e. the hotel itself BUT most credit card companies should offer a refund since there is a clear breach of contract here. Have you asked Trivago for a refund first? Might be worth getting something in writing from them first since the credit card company will normally ask if you have attempted recourse directly before they initiate a charge back.

Technically you are not covered under section 75 since you booked through a 3rd party intermediary (Trivago). The protection technically only covers you when you pay directly to the end merchant i.e. the hotel itself BUT most credit card companies should offer a refund since there is a clear breach of contract here. Have you asked Trivago for a refund first? Might be worth getting something in writing from them first since the credit card company will normally ask if you have attempted recourse directly before they initiate a charge back.
It’s probably 4th party to be honest as the booking was with Supertravel through Trivago - they were still sending me reminders up until the day before about a booking that couldn’t possibly happen
It’s more the principle than the money and the sheer inconvenience of having to find alternative accommodation at the very last minute - ie when I had arrived in Glasgow

As per above. Need to request refund from trivago. If they don't comply then do a S75. Similar happened to my parents, had an issue with holiday & travel agent tried to pass the buck. Then went on for nearly a year, so ended up making a S75 claim & got money back.

Just to be a nebby bastard, why did you book a hotel in Glasgow that far in advance? I'm staying there tomorrow night and haven't yet got round to booking a place to stay. Or train tickets.

It’s probably 4th party to be honest as the booking was with Supertravel through Trivago - they were still sending me reminders up until the day before about a booking that couldn’t possibly happen
It’s more the principle than the money and the sheer inconvenience of having to find alternative accommodation at the very last minute - ie when I had arrived in Glasgow
I bet you were sick and tired of everything....?

Just to be a nebby bastard, why did you book a hotel in Glasgow that far in advance? I'm staying there tomorrow night and haven't yet got round to booking a place to stay. Or train tickets.
I always do
I looked at the availability at the time and because the C2C was on at the same time there wasn’t a lot available so I booked it
Given the fact that I managed to book a better hotel 2 minutes away from the venue 3 hours before the gig would suggest I’m better to leave it to the last minute
Lesson learned in more ways than one

Which hotel was it? I live in Glasgow and might be able to tell you when it changed to an asylum seekers hotel.

I was asked to contact the company first by my credit card provider. I explained, I could not speak to a human and was being sent round in circles. They still insisted I speak to the company first.

Premier Inn near George Square is spot on - few minutes walk from Queen Street station - stayed there for a couple of nights late December for Winter Fest thing

Back