CRC / colonoscopy advice

It's the volume of liquid with the moviprep that I can't do. The second last time I had one, I vomited the last glass back up as I'd had enough ☺️

I got picolax last time which was much better, so I'm going to ask for that next time.
I agree, this is the worst part of it trying to get all that liquid down. Strange, if it was pints of beer I'd have nee bother and a lot more enjoyment.!

I would go for picolax instead of the moviprep just for the shear volume like you say. Moviprep is like drinking litres of a cross between saline fluid and sea water.
Picolax is pretty violent like but tastes not too bad. It makes cold water warm in the glass that's how strong it is. When it starts working it certainly clears you out.
Yeah I flat out refuse Moviprep, I cant drink the stuff without gagging / retching / feeling utterly shit - they send me Picolax or Citrafleet normally, I told them I would rather not have a colonoscopy rather than try to drink Moviprep again.

I would go for picolax instead of the moviprep just for the shear volume like you say. Moviprep is like drinking litres of a cross between saline fluid and sea water.
Picolax is pretty violent like but tastes not too bad. It makes cold water warm in the glass that's how strong it is. When it starts working it certainly clears you out.

Same deal today as every other time with Moviprep - first litre at 5pm absolutely flies down like Fanta Limon. 2nd litre takes me about two hours to get through in short gulps and tastes of pure arse sweat. Grim.
I’ve got one of these ‘camera up the hoop’ procedures coming in the next few weeks
Not sure if I feel better or worse after reading this thread
Yes I do, a lot worse
They have pretty much said they aren’t suspecting anything nasty but can’t totally rule it out without the camera
Got private health care through work so wondering whether to go via Nuffield to do it

It’s essential like if you’ve been referred, better safe than sorry. As everyone else says, the prep is arguably the worst bit. I’ve had to get a swab and self isolate again due to covid which only heightens the anxiety and lengthens the process. Hopefully they haven’t fucked up my sample this time!

Top tip I learned from here - hot bovril / marmite is a godsend while you do your prep and fasting period the night before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picolax is what I had, scary stuff when it heats up in the glass, instructions said stay close to the toilet and it should work in about an hour, I waited and waited 2 hours and nothing, I was just starting to think it must have been a faulty dose
THEN RUN................ ARGGG a flock of starlings.
I didn't have any sedation and watched the whole thing on a screen, it felt like I had a snake inside me, the worst part was having to wait in a cubicle next to the nurse station to pass wind, I lied and went off home, I had 1 fart that lasted 2 miles as I drove home.

Picolax is what I had, scary stuff when it heats up in the glass, instructions said stay close to the toilet and it should work in about an hour, I waited and waited 2 hours and nothing, I was just starting to think it must have been a faulty dose
THEN RUN................ ARGGG a flock of starlings.
I didn't have any sedation and watched the whole thing on a screen, it felt like I had a snake inside me, the worst part was having to wait in a cubicle next to the nurse station to pass wind, I lied and went off home, I had 1 fart that lasted 2 miles as I drove home.
Same...Picolax or should that be Vesuvius.

No sedation for me either. Not too bad.
Being told to lie in a cubicle and pass wind till I felt better was odd. Some belting sounds from other cubicles mind ;)

Couple months back I had something which was a contender for worse than the camera down the throat.
Angiogram where they put a wire in your wrist and feed it up into your heart. So far so good, had that done a couple of times and it's a piece of piss.
Then they gradually increase the pressure in your artery to induce angina. It feels like you are having a heart attack and you can't breath.:eek: (Even worse with a mask on.)
They had to do it twice on different arteries but luckily cut the second one short as it reached the threshold where they had to take action which was the point of the test.
I thought I would be fine with angina for a minute. I was wrong.:lol:

All done. That was the breeziest one yet, doctor was fantastic and nicely chatty - took my mind right off the camera work!

Pleased it went ok 👍

Enjoy the farting 😁
Couple months back I had something which was a contender for worse than the camera down the throat.
Angiogram where they put a wire in your wrist and feed it up into your heart. So far so good, had that done a couple of times and it's a piece of piss.
Then they gradually increase the pressure in your artery to induce angina. It feels like you are having a heart attack and you can't breath.:eek: (Even worse with a mask on.)
They had to do it twice on different arteries but luckily cut the second one short as it reached the threshold where they had to take action which was the point of the test.
I thought I would be fine with angina for a minute. I was wrong.:lol:

My Dad had that done when he was in India, but they went in through his groin. When they finished, they gave him what felt like a small heavy bag of sand and told him to press it hard on the cut. He asked what would happen if he didn't, and the man cheerily said "oh you'll bleed to death, so I'd keep it on if I was you" 😳😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Got one this Friday . Picked up the Moviprep yesterday and start it at 19.00 tomorrow . Having a black coffee now . Joys of turning 60 and popping up on their radar I suppose
Nearly finished the first ltr of Moviprep . I put concentrate orange squash in it and drank 500 ml of water during the hour or so I took to get rid of the aftertaste which was bad but not as bad as I was expecting . Might not be around in an hour or so :) . Got to start the next ltr at 6.00 am tomorrow
Nearly finished the first ltr of Moviprep . I put concentrate orange squash in it and drank 500 ml of water during the hour or so I took to get rid of the aftertaste which was bad but not as bad as I was expecting . Might not be around in an hour or so :) . Got to start the next ltr at 6.00 am tomorrow

Bloody hell that kicked in fast . Just spent the last 20 jet washing the pot such was the ferocity !!

Last edited:

Bloody hell that kicked in fast . Just spent the last 20 jet washing the pot such was the ferocity !!
Enjoy the temporary weight loss too.

I had one in November - I took the moviprep and didn't bother with any anaesthetic.

I think I've got quite a 'relaxed' arsehole though........... but that may have been one of the nurses commenting.🙃

Back