COVID-19: Those earning above £19.5k should pay more tax after pandemic to help fix UK finances, says think-tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don’t disagree. And I’m happy to pay my fair share and have been throughout. I just want my share to be fair. I’ve spent a year grafting 10-12 hours a day and when I’ve got out I’ve walked passed people Sunbathing and BBQing like what seems like everyday. I’ll keep paying my way and they can pay back extra for their break.
What would you have expected people to do? Turn down the furlough pay and go without? Have them sacked from their jobs because their employers couldn't afford to pay them?

I worked throughout as well, chucking hours at a company that ended up going under in the hope I'd be paid at the end of the month while I had mates sunbathing and having beers in their garden. But if I was in their shoes I'd have been doing the same because there would have been nothing I could have done about it.
Maybe the people that used the furlough schemes should pay them back.
Maybe only the people who use hospitals should pay for them.

Maybe only victims of crime should pay for the police.

Maybe only only people who's possessions catch fire should pay for the fire brigade.

Maybe only kids should pay for schools.

Maybe only the unemployed should pay for universal credit.

Last edited:
What would you have expected people to do? Turn down the furlough pay and go without? Have them sacked from their jobs because their employers couldn't afford to pay them?

I worked throughout as well, chucking hours at a company that ended up going under in the hope I'd be paid at the end of the month while I had mates sunbathing and having beers in their garden. But if I was in their shoes I'd have been doing the same because there would have been nothing I could have done about it.

Maybe only only people who's possessions catch fire should pay for the fire brigade.

Agreed

I may have done the same if I’d been on furlough but I’d expect to pay it back. And I pay for hospitals and police and fire engines. I will be paying for it whether I like it or not because that’s what I’ve always done and always will. I just feel I’ve done my bit for now.

I was told not to work, but also that I wouldn't be eligible for any financial support, now I'm going to get taxed more going forward :lol:

Getting a right shafting

I don’t disagree. And I’m happy to pay my fair share and have been throughout. I just want my share to be fair. I’ve spent a year grafting 10-12 hours a day and when I’ve got out I’ve walked passed people Sunbathing and BBQing like what seems like everyday. I’ll keep paying my way and they can pay back extra for their break.
Do you not get paid extra for working those extra hours?

Do you not get paid extra for working those extra hours?
Probably not, last job I had that paid overtime was in 1996. Every job since then specifically excluded it in the contract, the expectation (and contract) is you work the additional hours needed to get the job done.

Some employers have been very fair on this some have taken the piss

Probably not, last job I had that paid overtime was in 1996. Every job since then specifically excluded it in the contract, the expectation (and contract) is you work the additional hours needed to get the job done.

Some employers have been very fair on this some have taken the piss
I don't get paid overtime now, used to till my mid 30s. Now I get 13 weeks holiday for working longer hours.
If the poster I responded to has worked 12 hours a day for a year and never received O/T, days in lieu or a significant rise in salary he's not well thought of.

I don't get paid overtime now, used to till my mid 30s. Now I get 13 weeks holiday for working longer hours.
If the poster I responded to has worked 12 hours a day for a year and never received O/T, days in lieu or a significant rise in salary he's not well thought of.
At a certain point on the career ladder that's just how it is.

I do additional hours and get nothing back, but to be fair I don't do anything like the hours my wife does in teaching and her notional 13 weeks holidays don't make up for the hours she puts in

Unpaid hours is pretty common in a lot of industries. 'Contractual hours will flex based on the needs of the business' or such like. Normally with a carrot of a discretionary bonus which may or may not come.

Unpaid hours is pretty common in a lot of industries. 'Contractual hours will flex based on the needs of the business' or such like. Normally with a carrot of a discretionary bonus which may or may not come.
If somebody continually works extra without overtime, flexi, pay rise or promotion then the company is taking the piss out of them.
The poster I first responded to said they have worked 12 hours a day for a year. If they're not getting any of the benefits mentioned above then they're being abused.

If somebody continually works extra without overtime, flexi, pay rise or promotion then the company is taking the piss out of them.
The poster I first responded to said they have worked 12 hours a day for a year. If they're not getting any of the benefits mentioned above then they're being abused.

12 hours days for a year is definitely excessive, and some companies are undoubtedly taking the piss, but at some that’s just the done thing. It's part of the package and one of the reasons they get paid what they do. It's an example of one of the sacrifices one of the other posters mentioned.

You mention promotion, promotion may be the reward but that probably means more responsibility/hours as much as it means more money.

Edit: noticed the post said 10-12 hours rather than 12 hours, but principle is the same

Last edited:
12 hours days for a year is definitely excessive, and some companies are undoubtedly taking the piss, but at some that’s just the done thing. It's part of the package and one of the reasons they get paid what they do. It's an example of one of the sacrifices one of the other posters mentioned.

You mention promotion, promotion may be the reward but that probably means more responsibility/hours as much as it means more money.
If he's working 12 hours a day for a year and promotion means working more hours then they're definitely taking the piss.

Well there we go, work through the pandemic in awful conditions and your prize at the end of it is a freeze on the LTA for the rest of parliament. Thanks Rishi.

Reactions: Gaz
Well there we go, work through the pandemic in awful conditions and your prize at the end of it is a freeze on the LTA for the rest of parliament. Thanks Rishi.

Tbf, it could have been reduced. In addition, the LTA only kicks in at retirement and therefore the people impacted should be fully aware of their position and taking the necessary steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back