COVID-19: Those earning above £19.5k should pay more tax after pandemic to help fix UK finances, says think-tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bit about rich people's spending helping the poor - it's utter bollocks. A higher proportion of tax breaks for rich people get saved; tax breaks for poorer people get spent and so generate far more of a multiplier effect in the economy.

It's definitely not "utter bollocks".

The bit in bold is true like but doesn't doesn't take away from the point that there be a tipping point on income tax increases that discourages spending - imo we need to spend our way out of this.

It's definitely not "utter bollocks".

The bit in bold is true like but doesn't doesn't take away from the point that there be a tipping point on income tax increases that discourages spending - imo we need to spend our way out of this.

If you'd had stated that at the start you could have saved me a lot of time. Of course there's a tipping point but that's not what we were discussing.

The trickle down shite is the standard excuse from the rich to help hang onto their money.

Happy to pay a bit more but I’d want to see a flat % across everyone (which means higher earners pay more). Sunderland is pretty blinkered and seems to assume that people earning more have just fallen into it by accident as opposed to having to make massive personal sacrifices over decades.

how come corporations only pay 19% after all their expenses but the average worker pays about 30% (income tax / NI ) ?

People on higher salaries can afford to pay more, that's why it is set up the way it is. But there must be a tipping point where it is counter productive.

If you'd had stated that at the start you could have saved me a lot of time. Of course there's a tipping point but that's not what we were discussing.

The trickle down shite is the standard excuse from the rich to help hang onto their money.

I said exactly that in the same post you quoted...

50% of full time workers in the NE earn £27k or less. For one of the poorest regions in the country, this forum has a remarkably vocal contingent of higher rate taxpayers upset about being penalised.
I'm 67 and throughout my life , this greedy selfish attitude has always been there , people with high wages begrudge the low paid anything . it used to a southern thing , now its prevalent throughout the NE. Just look at the Tory MP's that got elected.
Happy to pay a bit more but I’d want to see a flat % across everyone (which means higher earners pay more). Sunderland is pretty blinkered and seems to assume that people earning more have just fallen into it by accident as opposed to having to make massive personal sacrifices over decades.
Personal sacrifices ?
This is typical classic Tory greed , a flat rate across the board only benefits the well paid and massively penalises the low paid.

Last edited:
I'm 67 and throughout my life , this greedy selfish attitude has always been there , people with high wages begrudge the low paid anything . it used to a southern thing , now its prevalent throughout the NE. Just look at the Tory MP's that got elected.

Personal sacrifices ?
This is typical classic Tory greed , a flat rate across the board only benefits the well paid and massively penalises the low paid.

yeah....do you think they get to where they are by dicking about through education and then working 37 hours a week in a steady away job?

yeah....do you think they get to where they are by dicking about through education and then working 37 hours a week in a steady away job?
Do you think everybody stuck in a poorly paid 37hr a week mundane job , dicked their education opportunities , or had the same options as others ?

ive already said it mate.
Yes and I am quoting you directly "Sunderland is pretty blinkered and seems to assume that people earning more have just fallen into it by accident as opposed to having to make massive personal sacrifices over decades."
What is this "massive personal sacrifices over decades"
Don't you think that people who work full time yet aren't paid enough to provide their families with a decent standard of living are making "massive personal sacrifices " permanently on a daily basis ?
There's plenty of people in that situation in Sunderland isn't there.

How’s that. Those who’ve have been furloughed have been paid to not work?
And those who go to hospital have had their treatment and care paid for.

It's a safety net that comes from a pot of money we all pay into used by people who need it.

I've got more of an issue with the amount of money syphoned out of that pot by the people with responsibility for it than people who needed it using it.

And those who go to hospital have had their treatment and care paid for.

It's a safety net that comes from a pot of money we all pay into used by people who need it.

I've got more of an issue with the amount of money syphoned out of that pot by the people with responsibility for it than people who needed it using it.
I don’t disagree. And I’m happy to pay my fair share and have been throughout. I just want my share to be fair. I’ve spent a year grafting 10-12 hours a day and when I’ve got out I’ve walked passed people Sunbathing and BBQing like what seems like everyday. I’ll keep paying my way and they can pay back extra for their break.

You’ve made inferences to your salary but as I say, this is the SMB and a lot of posters embellish their lives, homes, jobs, families, salaries etc to try and put others down.

From what I read on here the average gross salary in the NE is a six figure sum and everyone went to a posh private school.

Now either there is a lot of BS posted on here or this place is most unrepresentative of the North East according to all the published socio economic data.

Yes and I am quoting you directly "Sunderland is pretty blinkered and seems to assume that people earning more have just fallen into it by accident as opposed to having to make massive personal sacrifices over decades."
What is this "massive personal sacrifices over decades"
Don't you think that people who work full time yet aren't paid enough to provide their families with a decent standard of living are making "massive personal sacrifices " permanently on a daily basis ?
There's plenty of people in that situation in Sunderland isn't there.

Both can be true. One doesn't negate the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back