Coventry fans yesterday

I was certain that this will boil down to the last 10 mins of the last game. And it's starting to prove right.

We're buoyant due to our Semi-final but sensible fans will acknowledge that it'll be a push to get either the Playoffs or past Man Utd. We've got a small squad and the number of games we've had to reschedule will come back and hurt us. Hull on the Wednesday after the Semi and now Ipswich midweek as well. 5 games in the last 2 weeks of the season. The only week from now without a midweek game is the week before the Semi.

We'd need help to get in the Playoffs though one defeat for any of the 4-5 clubs chasing would change things around significantly. And getting past United, that'd need them to underperform badly for us to have a serious shot at the Final. And if that luck drops in our laps then, unless Chelsea can beat Man City, we've no chance of lifting the Cup.

Considering where we started (20th place in September) and where we've got to, this season could be considered a success for us already. It builds a solid base for a real attempt at promotion next season.

Agree with you. It's for WBA to gift away and I can't see them doing that. And 6th spot to Norwich. They've got the form. Hull have the squad but their pattern of recent draws has brought their leap up to a stuttering crawl. Preston are a solid side but I can't see them overtaking Norwich or Hull.

Norwich vs Ipswich in the Playoffs ?
Did you not do the same last year? Shocking start then ended the season as one of the form sides?

Did you not do the same last year? Shocking start then ended the season as one of the form sides?
That's correct. This season we saw as a transition after losing Gus and Vik.
Although Simms and Haji aren't the greatest footballers, they are managing to score goals, quite a few more than this time last season.
If we finish outside the playoffs and lose to Utd, it will still be seen as a successful season and further progress.
Just got my Wembley ticket so looking forward to a good day out. Will be happy to restrict Utd to 3/4 goals! (but, you never know!)

Yes. And I'd be overjoyed to get in the Playoffs again. But the difference between last and this season are that the teams at the top are dramatically improved on those last season (no disrespect meant to any of last seasons teams). The relegated PL sides are a mile away from established Champ sides this season. WBA are a step away from a PL squad, Ipswich have done immense work to be where they are. Which leaves us, Norwich and Hull. And we are the weakest of those three. I don't see Preston getting in although they will get close.
Had they actually tried against Coventry on the last game of the season, they would have gone up imo.

Boro have only beaten us once in their last 8 attempts, a 1-0 home win back in 2022.

But who knows ? Had we had a better start last year or this, we may already be in the Playoffs or an auto spot ;)

Last edited:
I was in an Irish bar in Lisbon last night- a few Coventry fans in watching the Man Utd Chelsea game. One had a Coventry Hawaiin shirt on, if you can imagine that- nearly spewed in my guiness.

Back