Coventry agree 11m deal for Haji Wright

Not sure why so many clubs immediately blow all the dough they get invoiced so quickly. If Gyrokeres was never on the books, they would not have 20 mil to basically waste. Surely it’s better to just keep the majority of cash for a longer time span, and perhaps use the interest earned to offer slightly better wages to players they want to keep at some point down the line.
Sitting on the money and earing a bit interest wouldn't solve the problem of having no main striker at the start of the season.

Thanks for your input, however misguided nonsense it is. We’re walking the league, Champions with games to spare.

LOL, misguided maybe. Nonsense... no. If you do win the league or even finish in the top 2 or win Wembley, then congratulations to you all and I hope you enjoy the brighter side of things. One thing our clubs have in common is too long in the darker depths of the league.

And coming here for the last 3 years as a lurker has hardened me to your spells of incredible positivity and single-mindedness. However, even wearing sky blue tinted glasses, I'm still a realist. And I know even the best can and do fail. We've proven that many times 🤪

Sitting on the money and earing a bit interest wouldn't solve the problem of having no main striker at the start of the season.

Agreed. When Stewart was injured and your board knew he would be out for a while, did they "splash the cash" or hide the wallet ? And how well did that work out for you ? Sometimes its a risk that has to be taken to ensure your club not only survives but can push on regardless, to chase the dream of promotion.

LOL, misguided maybe. Nonsense... no. If you do win the league or even finish in the top 2 or win Wembley, then congratulations to you all and I hope you enjoy the brighter side of things. One thing our clubs have in common is too long in the darker depths of the league.

And coming here for the last 3 years as a lurker has hardened me to your spells of incredible positivity and single-mindedness. However, even wearing sky blue tinted glasses, I'm still a realist. And I know even the best can and do fail. We've proven that many times 🤪

Agreed. When Stewart was injured and your board knew he would be out for a while, did they "splash the cash" or hide the wallet ? And how well did that work out for you ? Sometimes its a risk that has to be taken to ensure your club not only survives but can push on regardless, to chase the dream of promotion.
He got injured during the season and came back during the season. We also had Simms for half and Gelhardt for have a season.

It doesn’t all have to be spent. We swapped Defoe for Altidore. Phillips cost buttons. Many of the bigger money signings, from Flo to Rodwell have been shambolic. Sometimes it’s worth a punt on a player but outside of the big six clubs (who seem to able to afford to waste tens or hundreds of millions) splashing the cash doesn’t seem to work that well.

It doesn’t all have to be spent. We swapped Defoe for Altidore. Phillips cost buttons. Many of the bigger money signings, from Flo to Rodwell have been shambolic. Sometimes it’s worth a punt on a player but outside of the big six clubs (who seem to able to afford to waste tens or hundreds of millions) splashing the cash doesn’t seem to work that well.
I'm not saying it does. They have made the decision to get in two players to replace a major part of their team for last season and have had to pay the price for it. Maybe they don't have a scouting system to find the cheap gems that we have done over the last year.

Spent next to nothing over the last 3 years and developed two players who cost a million into 15-20m players whilst reaching the play off final with quite a few players who came up from league 1 and 2.
Reinvest it in two relatively young strikers and several other players who will improve the team significantly and importantly have a decent sell on value.

Not quite sure what the criticism is - Sounds like a sensible business model to me and a team that’s gone from being a bottom 6 championship club financially / quality wise to a team who could potentially get in the play offs for a second season running without spending outside their means.

Spent next to nothing over the last 3 years and developed two players who cost a million into 15-20m players whilst reaching the play off final with quite a few players who came up from league 1 and 2.
Reinvest it in two relatively young strikers and several other players who will improve the team significantly and importantly have a decent sell on value.

Not quite sure what the criticism is - Sounds like a sensible business model to me and a team that’s gone from being a bottom 6 championship club financially / quality wise to a team who could potentially get in the play offs for a second season running without spending outside their means.
It's a big fee for this league but don't think many will criticise, good show of ambition and exciting to have 2 new first team strikers

Really can't see this as a fee. Coventry paid a big up front fee for Simms (£3 million), I think the rest of the money will go to keeping Coventry afloat. Think if the good midfield bloke goes (Hamer ?), then they might splash a bit more cash.

Hamer supposedly off to Leeds. Thought he may have got a PL move.

Have heard Leeds, Leicester, Villa, Burnley. Even Luton have enquired. Lots of talk, Robins has said in the media that he's had his head turned. The problem is the offers aren't coming in for his quality. Last season, it seemed like a lot of Prem teams were interested. Now he's looking to move on, they've all evaporated.

The situation is bonkers (that's the actual situation, not your poster TheSituation... though he may be too, you'll have to inform me :p ;) ). One week to go to the first game and we still have no idea what the guy is intending to do. Can see Robins losing his marbles, turning around and telling him he has to stay to the end of his contract and releasing him on a free at the end of the season. Only bonus to that is that we'd get a year to find a quality replacement. And if we did get promoted, it may tempt Hamer to stop a bit longer.

Have heard Leeds, Leicester, Villa, Burnley. Even Luton have enquired. Lots of talk, Robins has said in the media that he's had his head turned. The problem is the offers aren't coming in for his quality. Last season, it seemed like a lot of Prem teams were interested. Now he's looking to move on, they've all evaporated.

The situation is bonkers (that's the actual situation, not your poster TheSituation... though he may be too, you'll have to inform me :p ;) ). One week to go to the first game and we still have no idea what the guy is intending to do. Can see Robins losing his marbles, turning around and telling him he has to stay to the end of his contract and releasing him on a free at the end of the season. Only bonus to that is that we'd get a year to find a quality replacement. And if we did get promoted, it may tempt Hamer to stop a bit longer.
Absolutely mental you mind, like a Coventry shields black cat the way you post :lol: wonder how much you'll get for him though, quality player

I know, the model and that, but would love to see Sunderland in for players like him even just one or two per season.

I know, the model and that, but would love to see Sunderland in for players like him even just one or two per season.

It's more than possible. As his song goes "He only cost a million". He showed signs of his quality when he arrived but he has only really bloomed in the last 12 months. There are plenty of good players out there, you only have to look. We've been so used to buying from the bargain bin for the last 20-odd years that this off-season is a shock to us. Head over to the Sky Blues Talk forum and fans are arguing among themselves (and at times, worse than here), we literally don't know how to handle this :) That's saying that they can work together as a team. This side is untested and Wright isn't confirmed yet (should be today or tomorrow). We may be a custard pie away from being the joke of the league. Or a bottle of Champers away from being Champions 🤪 :lol:

But one of the things you lot have said regularly over the last season is your quality in youth. Clarke is a cracking player, his only real flaw is his inexperience. Keep him for a few more seasons and I'm sure he too will prove to be a worthy investment. Cirkin is another who could progress well, and still only 21.

Absolutely mental you mind, like a Coventry shields black cat the way you post :lol: wonder how much you'll get for him though, quality player

If the bids are anything to go by, we'd be lucky to get £5m. Think I've heard £8m but that's still nowhere near our valuation. And our good news is that our new owner, Doug King, has shown he's prepared to play hardball with players, agents and clubs to get the best deal for Coventry. There is no way we'd have got £20m+addons for Gyokeres under our previous ownership.

And thanks for calling me mental. Just a minor step down from my usual position on the Cov forum as an utter dingbat 🤪 But still happy to chat football with likeminded folks.

Back