County Championship 2020

"In conjunction with our partners across the network, we are building contingency plans across a number of possible eventualities.
Our main priorities are to ensure we scope out the landscape for financial, logistical and scheduling implications.
It is difficult for us to be sure of what outcomes the game might be expected to deal with. Therefore, we will continue to plan for the expectation that the season proceeds as normal"

So meaningless verbal diarrhoea followed by "it might all just go away". No more than you'd expect.

Last edited:
Early days but I think the Riverside maybe used for something more important than cricket if this crisis continues to head the way it is going.

To be honest I've adopted the mindset that this season is a write off and if we do get to see anything then that will be a bonus but as you say at times like this cricket isnt really that important.

"In conjunction with our partners across the network, we are building contingency plans across a number of possible eventualities.
Our main priorities are to ensure we scope out the landscape for financial, logistical and scheduling implications.
It is difficult for us to be sure of what outcomes the game might be expected to deal with. Therefore, we will continue to plan for the expectation that the season proceeds as normal"

So meaningless verbal diarrhoea followed by "it might all just go away". No more than you'd expect.

What do you expect them to say at this point?

It’s too early to confirm everything’s on obviously, but also way too early to write the lot off til September. I reckon some white ball will get played at least (yes, probably the Hundred).

S
I said on another thread, but I really think sports like, snooker, or darts or bowls, should stage something and get themselves on the BBC, the viewing figures would astronomical

You could do all 3 sports with only 3 people in the room.

Big snooker tournament starting on ITV4 this afternoon.

I would rather the cricket was played behind closed doors rather than not at all.

I don't think that's likely though. Even if that were the case the counties would be well out of pocket on memberships, hospitality, sponsorship etc.

Can domestic cricket survive a complete wipeout? I don't see how it can.

Cricket has such a small window of play each year most other sports can be played year round. If any cricket will be played I can only imagine it will be a 20/20 tournament crammed in at the end of the summer...even that is still a pretty big if

I would rather the cricket was played behind closed doors rather than not at all.

I don't think that's likely though. Even if that were the case the counties would be well out of pocket on memberships, hospitality, sponsorship etc.

Can domestic cricket survive a complete wipeout? I don't see how it can.

As individual entities many probably couldn’t, but I think the ECB will bail them out.

It’s a perfectly reasonable statement given the uncertainty

Blame them for a lot, but don’t make stuff up

Back