Country with the tastiest food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outside the hotels the food was desperate in China. They'll eat anything. Some of the most gobbing stuff I've ever had, although Japan gets the trophy for the worst thing I've ever had to eat. And no it wasn't in a gay bar.......

India for me - probably the only place I could be a veggie as there vegetarian scran is excellent

Lanzopralol is your friend. Drug of kings.....
Will look into that. Thanks for that, pal!

Worked in Rome for 11 months then Madrid for this last 1 month... Verdict: Spanish food knocks the bollocks off Italian ... all imho of course

The food in Madrid was fantastic. The food in San Sebastián was better than Madrid.

Not sure what the English equivalent would be...Bognor Regis is better than London?

The food in Madrid was fantastic. The food in San Sebastián was better than Madrid.

Not sure what the English equivalent would be...Bognor Regis is better than London?
The Spanish lads were telling me exactly this about food in Northern Spain. They reckon that's where it's best. And the wine too apparently.
Funny... ordinary young-ish lads and they're all proper foodies.
They're attitude to life is spot on too.
I've been about but I reckon Madrid would be the place to live for me ...if I wasn't with a missus, kids and maybe just a little bit younger ;)

What sort of Spanish food you like best?
tbh, I wouldn't say I have a particular favourite, I had all sorts.
Mind, not brave enough to have the giant pig's ear my 13 yr old lad had when he visited ...massive and a little bloody for pork I thought. He didn't seem too keen on the cartilage's texture but acted as though all we was fine :D

Btw... we cook Italian at home all the time.
What I am probably getting at is the standard of restaurant cooking. Italian's do excellent home food. But when I am out, I want something a little bit more (not meaning fancy btw).
Almost every meal I had in Madrid was spot on - taste and presentation. And excellent value for money Italian (well, Rome anyway) restaurant food is a bit more hit n miss and they often don't give a monkey's how it's presented ...not that I really care too much about presentation ...but you get the idea.

Last edited:
The Spanish lads were telling me exactly this about food in Northern Spain. They reckon that's where it's best. And the wine too apparently.
Funny... ordinary young-ish lads and they're all proper foodies.
They're attitude to life is spot on too.
I've been about but I reckon Madrid would be the place to live for me ...if I wasn't with a missus, kids and maybe just a little bit younger ;)

tbh, I wouldn't say I have a particular favourite, I had all sorts.
Mind, not brave enough to have the giant pig's ear my 13 yr old lad had when he visited ...massive and a little bloody for pork I thought. He didn't seem too keen on the cartilage's texture but acted as though all we was fine :D

Btw... we cook Italian at home all the time.
What I am probably getting at is the standard of restaurant cooking. Italian's do excellent home food. But when I am out, I want something a little bit more (not meaning fancy btw).
Almost every meal I had in Madrid was spot on - taste and presentation. And excellent value for money Italian (well, Rome anyway) restaurant food is a bit more hit n miss and they often don't give a monkey's how it's presented ...not that I really care too much about presentation ...but you get the idea.

This was my favourite meal in Madrid:
Álbora, Restaurante Gastronómico Madrid

I agree with you there about Madrid being excellent and San Sebastian being even better. Went a couple of years ago and you would struggle to eat badly. even the cheaper places are generally spot on. Bar Nestor for steak was great.

Did some of the fancier restaurants, including Arzak. Enjoyed the night, but wouldn't chose to go back. Food was good, service spot on, etc.

Still think Bologna and its surrounding area is better again, but that is maybe because I just prefer Italian food.

But would go back to San Sebastian any day of the week.

I agree with you there about Madrid being excellent and San Sebastian being even better. Went a couple of years ago and you would struggle to eat badly. even the cheaper places are generally spot on. Bar Nestor for steak was great.

Did some of the fancier restaurants, including Arzak. Enjoyed the night, but wouldn't chose to go back. Food was good, service spot on, etc.

Still think Bologna and its surrounding area is better again, but that is maybe because I just prefer Italian food.

But would go back to San Sebastian any day of the week.

Yeah we did tasting menu at a Michelin star place in San Sebastián which was great, but we were happy to go for pinxtos for every meal afterwards.

Bologna was absolutely fantastic. Again, went for a posh tasting menu in Modena but enjoyed the more rustic and down to earth places more. The first thing we ate in Bologna was gnocchi with ragu in a wine shop and I nearly fell off my stool it was that good.

Yeah we did tasting menu at a Michelin star place in San Sebastián which was great, but we were happy to go for pinxtos for every meal afterwards.

Bologna was absolutely fantastic. Again, went for a posh tasting menu in Modena but enjoyed the more rustic and down to earth places more. The first thing we ate in Bologna was gnocchi with ragu in a wine shop and I nearly fell off my stool it was that good.

In Bologna at the moment. Any particular restaurant you recommend? Been to a few places already and the food is absolutely superb.

In Bologna at the moment. Any particular restaurant you recommend? Been to a few places already and the food is absolutely superb.

For wine have a look at Enoteca Storica Faccioli - lovely wine bar.

Caminetto D’ora trattoria for food. Great steak.

I’m envious. We have another reservation at the famous restaurant in Modena in August so we will be in Bologna soon enough.

Trattoria Leonida
Ristorante Biagi
Trattoria del Biassanot

For wine have a look at Enoteca Storica Faccioli - lovely wine bar.

Caminetto D’ora trattoria for food. Great steak.

I’m envious. We have another reservation at the famous restaurant in Modena in August so we will be in Bologna soon enough.

Cheers both. In San Marino tonight but back to Bologna tomorrow so will have a look at these

Cheers both. In San Marino tonight but back to Bologna tomorrow so will have a look at these
Not sure if the restaurant will be open but it is lovely. The wine bar will be - highly recommended. It’s just great. I know of a good cheap pizzeria too if you want pizza.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back