Cost to lower a drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan Gunn

Midfield
Me and my partner are in the process of buying our first house after renting for 5 years.

The first thing we will need to do in this house is lower the drive to allow us park the car there. Strangely the drive is about a foot above the ground level and a lot steeper than a standard kerb. We would be unable to add a ramp as this would go into the road too much so i'm thinking we'd need to cut it right back so the ramp is within our area.

Everywhere i'm looking for quotes is about dropping the kerb, which isn't quite what we need. Does anybody have contacts who could do this for us or have an idea of how much this will cost?

Thanks in advance

Me and my partner are in the process of buying our first house after renting for 5 years.

The first thing we will need to do in this house is lower the drive to allow us park the car there. Strangely the drive is about a foot above the ground level and a lot steeper than a standard kerb. We would be unable to add a ramp as this would go into the road too much so i'm thinking we'd need to cut it right back so the ramp is within our area.

Everywhere i'm looking for quotes is about dropping the kerb, which isn't quite what we need. Does anybody have contacts who could do this for us or have an idea of how much this will cost?

Thanks in advance
Best put up a picture.

It sounds as though you want the drive lifted, Earth removed and then a new drive laid. Is that right?

Last edited:

Thanks in advance
any drains or owt under?

Thanks in advance

38,457 including segregation

Do you need Council permission to drop a kerb? Only asking coz I've been watching a few Homes Under the Hammers during lockdown.

You’d still be dropping the kerb at the same time though. It’ll be £2k for the kerb and then god knows to level it enough to get the pitch right and then paving or whatever you get done. All needs to be done properly to satisfy the council.

Do you need Council permission to drop a kerb? Only asking coz I've been watching a few Homes Under the Hammers during lockdown.
Yes, you need to pay for a license AND the work has to be done by a certified contractor - the council will supply the list of people who are authorised.

At least, that's how its done in County Durham. Cost me about £1500 all in iirc, to turn my single drive to a double.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back