Construction site folk, is this normal behaviour?

David M

Striker
About 2 weeks ago, a bloke called at my mother's house and explained they were working at a house 2 doors down, albeit on a different estate, building a conservatory (I think) so had no access to the property and could she make them all a cup of tea. Now, tea and biscuits for people working at your property I understand but I thought this was a bit cheeky. She said they weren't local (Merseyside-ish accent she reckons) so maybe more accustomed to that area?

About 2 weeks ago, a bloke called at my mother's house and explained they were working at a house 2 doors down, albeit on a different estate, building a conservatory (I think) so had no access to the property and could she make them all a cup of tea. Now, tea and biscuits for people working at your property I understand but I thought this was a bit cheeky. She said they weren't local (Merseyside-ish accent she reckons) so maybe more accustomed to that area?

Not a chance in hell. I'd tell them to complain to whoever they're doing the work for.

Check their vans if they only have mobile contact numbers and they all have towbars then there's a good chance they're travellers
Towbars. :lol:
Walking into Wickes at Pennywell a while back a Scouser tried to sell me a TV he had in the back of his van. He was a bit put out when I said I didn't watch TV and had no use for one. "It's a bargain mate". Ah well that changes everything.

Anything missing ?

That’s not normal at all round here (Merseyside). Never had it happen to me, never heard of it happening.

Very suspect.

Pikey's, real building workers wouldn't have the cheek to ask someone to make them tea, even If they were working in their house, never mind a neighbour.

Yeah, surely if there’s no facilities to make one or the owners are out / pig ignorant and haven’t offered one you’d nip to a cafe or something. Or the time tested method of taking a flask to work. Not go door to door round the neighbours.

It’s not even a believable reason.

Last edited:
Yeah, surely if there’s no facilities to make one or the owners are out / pig ignorant and haven’t offered one you’d nip to a cafe or something. Not go door to door round the neighbours.

It’s not even a believable reason.
Most lads carry a flask, just in case there's no chance of making one, or the clients don't offer you a cup, I'd never dream of asking for a cuppa, f***ing cheeky.

Back