Commentators

I'm just glad Dominic Cork and Graeme Swann are nowhere near it.

Swann is on the radio unfortunately. During the England v Pakistan match he tried to involve the West Indian commentator Fazeer Mohammed into some of his awful banter.

Mohammed was having none of it, and then went on to put him in his place in a row over Mankading. It was beautiful to listen to!

I can’t abide Ian Bishop.

A man picking a single up on the boundary, is not profound.

The shot to get it there wasn’t profound either

The bowlers run up/delivery was not profound.

Everything is not profound, you don’t have to commentate it like it is and if anything profound does happen, the viewer will spot it long before you and your gammy back.

It's a step up from the last ICC event where I'm sure Pietersen was on comms.

Good to hear Ian Smith back on English TV. Niall O'Brien is also decent on the radio alongside Dagnell (who's now a good part of TMS imo).
Smithy is excellent and the Kiwi go to man for all things Sport when commentating. Heads up their All Black love in too.

Last edited:
Michael Clarke was pretty much unlistenable today, with his baggy green tinted glasses on.
He started being a bit arrogant with Ian bishop towards the end and I wished bishop would knock his block off..

Good shout, Morrison is dreadful but I still think Mbangwa is worse. Can’t stand Ravi Shastri either the absolute epitome of a biased commentator.

I’ve always quite liked Ramiz Raja though and Ian Smith is good.

A very interesting man with a great sense of humour.

I also really like Shaun Pollock but then I’ve always had a thing for redheads

Something about Dagnall that I just can’t get away with, he’s nowhere near the worst though.
Sag all always sounds like he’s got summick stuck in his throat like he needs to hockle..

He started being a bit arrogant with Ian bishop towards the end and I wished bishop would knock his block off..

Sag all always sounds like he’s got summick stuck in his throat like he needs to hockle..
Sag? Dagnall!

Last edited:
Dagnall does not have a good voice - very crusty. Hussain is hopeless - talks absolute ****. He described Tahir as a line spinner...what is that in cricketing terms? What he meant was wicket-to-wicket. He uses stupid inane terms like grabbers for catchers and he is disrespectful to other people calling them all by their surname but not Botham I noticed. Sir Ian probably threatened to hit him hopefully.

I can't get away from that review of him on C4 ashes 2005 where someone wrote, 'its as if he's trying to make love to the camera with his eyes'.

Sums him up, and he's a Crim lover.
Ashes 2005 though...if I ever see a better series of matches I will consider myself very lucky. Two teams at their peak, sporting pitches, full stadia, England’s fighting spirit coming through..then -aside from the cricket- on the last day of the series my wife told me she was pregnant with our first child. What a summer!

Dagnall does not have a good voice - very crusty. Hussain is hopeless - talks absolute ****. He described Tahir as a line spinner...what is that in cricketing terms? What he meant was wicket-to-wicket. He uses stupid inane terms like grabbers for catchers and he is disrespectful to other people calling them all by their surname but not Botham I noticed. Sir Ian probably threatened to hit him hopefully.

Bloody hell. I like Hussain. I also think Daggers’ voice is perfect for radio.

Hussain started off great years ago but has declined vastly. I also hate the term grabber and it's as if he's trying to sound modern with terms like this and his all too occasional hyperbole.

Oh for the gentle days of Arlott, Johnson, CMJ, Trueman, Mosey, Bailey, Blowers. Everything about cricket (life?) seemed so relaxed and uncomplicated.

My favourite time for listening to cricket

CMJ utter class

Trueman always mystified never like this in my day

Bailey concise and knowledgeable as was Mosey

Blowers never be another like him “ my dear old thing “

I can’t abide Ian Bishop.

A man picking a single up on the boundary, is not profound.

The shot to get it there wasn’t profound either

The bowlers run up/delivery was not profound.

Everything is not profound, you don’t have to commentate it like it is and if anything profound does happen, the viewer will spot it long before you and your gammy back.

Smithy is excellent and the Kiwi go to man for all things Sport when commentating. Heads up their All Black love in too.
Totally agree about Bishop. Wish he'd just shut up.

Back