Commentators

SuperMarcoRowell

Central Defender
I’m not one who is nostalgic for cricket from a bygone era. These days the standard of test cricket bowling and batting is incredible, and the odi/t20 game is at times jaw dropping. But the commentary is dreadful, I was watching a game the other day that Michael Clarke was commentating on and the lad would just not shut up, droning on and on between deliveries. The others are the same, I rate Nasser and Isa Guha but no one else. I sometimes wonder what Richie Benaud would have advised them..I remember he once said let the pictures do the talking..the current crop or whoever is advising them should heed the words of The Greatest.

That Ramiz whateveryacallhim fella does my box in...pleased he's not a sky commentator on England games..i have to turn the volume down when hes on comms...fucker wont shut up

I’m listening on the radio currently and I was just thinking how good the commentators are actually! The lady (didn’t catch her name) is doing a cracking job imo.

More bad than good these days - Pommie Mbnagwa is the worst commentator in the history of sport and whilst Ian Bishop seems a nice fella, he's also terrible.

Rob Key gets on my tits as well.

Isa Guha is definite eye candy and not too bad, Rainford-Brent is not eye candy but knows her stuff.

I rate Nasser and Isa Guha but no one else. I sometimes wonder what Richie Benaud would have advised them..I remember he once said let the pictures do the talking..the current crop or whoever is advising them should heed the words of The Greatest.

There was a section of play yesterday where the legends of the game Wasim and Waqar were to commentate together, unfortunately they had to shoehorn that prime example of tokenism into the middle of them. So instead of listening to two of the greatest bowlers of my lifetime, arguable the best proponents of reverse swinging Yorkers the world has ever seen - we had to listen to that whiney fucktard coming out with complete bollocks. She offers fuckall in the way of actual insight or of cutting edge punditry regarding technique like Waqar and Wasim (and Sangakkara and Vaughan and Atherton and every other cricketer who played to elite standard). Instead, all we get is statements of complete obviousness and at one point, her completely forgetting which ground or city she was in.

There was a section:lol: of play yesterday where the legends of the game Wasim and Waqar were to commentate together, unfortunately they had to shoehorn that prime example of tokenism into the middle of them. So instead of listening to two of the greatest bowlers of my lifetime, arguable the best proponents of reverse swinging Yorkers the world has ever seen - we had to listen to that whiney fucktard coming out with complete bollocks. She offers fuckall in the way of actual insight or of cutting edge punditry regarding technique like Waqar and Wasim (and Sangakkara and Vaughan and Atherton and every other cricketer who played to elite standard). Instead, all we get is statements of complete obviousness and at one point, her completely forgetting which ground or city she was in.

Not a fan mate :lol:

More bad than good these days - Pommie Mbnagwa is the worst commentator in the history of sport and whilst Ian Bishop seems a nice fella, he's also terrible.

Isa Guha is definite eye candy and not too bad, Rainford-Brent is not eye candy but knows her stuff.

I like Bishop, he's got a tremendously settling voice. Not sure why he seems to be commentating on every match in the world cup though. I didn't watch Saturday's matches but I'm assuming he did both?

If you've heard Pommie Mbangwa you must have heard Danny Morrison. I can only assume you've blocked out the memory so I apologise for bringing it to your attention.

If you've heard Pommie Mbangwa you must have heard Danny Morrison. I can only assume you've blocked out the memory so I apologise for bringing it to your attention.

Good shout, Morrison is dreadful but I still think Mbangwa is worse. Can’t stand Ravi Shastri either the absolute epitome of a biased commentator.

I’ve always quite liked Ramiz Raja though and Ian Smith is good.

Always liked Jeremy Coney, dry and insightful. You can see how he helped to make New Zealand a half-decent outfit in the 1980s.

A very interesting man with a great sense of humour.

I also really like Shaun Pollock but then I’ve always had a thing for redheads

It's a step up from the last ICC event where I'm sure Pietersen was on comms.

Good to hear Ian Smith back on English TV. Niall O'Brien is also decent on the radio alongside Dagnell (who's now a good part of TMS imo).

Something about Dagnall that I just can’t get away with, he’s nowhere near the worst though.

Last edited:

Back