Comedian refuses to sign behavioural agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Anti - atheism" is a nonsensical phrase since atheism is not a thing or a stance it is simply the rejection of religious bullshit.
It would be like being " Anti Not Playing Golf".

In the context of it not being allowed in a comedy routine, they mean things like "Did you hear the one about the atheists? Man, they're stupid aren't they? Atheists? ...."

A really clever comedian would use that contract as his/her routine and just take the piss. Betcha Bob Monkhouse could have done it without offending anyone - he would have been cheeky mind, but he was talented enough to have carried that off.

Anything?

Absolutely.

If comedians are going to tell near the knuckle jokes about one topic but criticise another comedian for telling jokes about a different topic, that’s rank hypocrisy.

Something as subjective as comedy relating to something as subjective as offence means the only logical way to go is that everything is fair game.

Absolutely.

If comedians are going to tell near the knuckle jokes about one topic but criticise another comedian for telling jokes about a different topic, that’s rank hypocrisy.

Something as subjective as comedy relating to something as subjective as offence means the only logical way to go is that everything is fair game.

I don't think offence is *quite* as subjective as some people like to make out, but yes it is somewhat subjective.

IMHO what it comes down to is this. If you're going to do any comedy that's near the knuckle you have less margin for error than if you're doing silly surrealism. It's not a case of better or worse, it's just like the difference between walking around in your back garden and walking on a tightrope over Niagara Falls.

So given that if you make certain kinds of jokes about certain types of people, at least in a public show, you'll be scrutinized, the content and intention of the joke will matter.

The reason Bernard Manning jokes are not OK, even though he was a very skilled comedian, is that a lot of it was just digs at certain groups. That was seen as ok because back then racism was seen as ok. But the *jokes* revolve around such and such supposedly being stupid, inferior, smelling bad, criminals, not belonging here. It's exactly the same thing people were saying to those groups out on the street just before refusing to rent a flat to them or beating them up. They weren't on an equal footing, giving as good as they got. There's no keenly observed poking fun at those groups based on knowing them, living with them, where an Asian or black person laughs and says "Yeah that's exactly like my uncle" or whatever. The idea that objecting to that is entirely subjective doesn't stack up.

That’s bollocks Dave mate. So you would not be offended by a joke about anything?

Absolutely.

So any topic even a personal topic?

I don't think offence is *quite* as subjective as some people like to make out, but yes it is somewhat subjective.

IMHO what it comes down to is this. If you're going to do any comedy that's near the knuckle you have less margin for error than if you're doing silly surrealism. It's not a case of better or worse, it's just like the difference between walking around in your back garden and walking on a tightrope over Niagara Falls.

So given that if you make certain kinds of jokes about certain types of people, at least in a public show, you'll be scrutinized, the content and intention of the joke will matter.

The reason Bernard Manning jokes are not OK, even though he was a very skilled comedian, is that a lot of it was just digs at certain groups. That was seen as ok because back then racism was seen as ok. But the *jokes* revolve around such and such supposedly being stupid, inferior, smelling bad, criminals, not belonging here. It's exactly the same thing people were saying to those groups out on the street just before refusing to rent a flat to them or beating them up. They weren't on an equal footing, giving as good as they got. There's no keenly observed poking fun at those groups based on knowing them, living with them, where an Asian or black person laughs and says "Yeah that's exactly like my uncle" or whatever. The idea that objecting to that is entirely subjective doesn't stack up.

They are funny because of his skills. I still laugh at them because I see them in the context of the time.

In fact they are funnier because they aren't allowed to be funny anymore.

Mary Whitehouse won. Just a different type of Mary Whitehouse.

That’s bollocks Dave mate. So you would not be offended by a joke about anything?

If it's funny it's funny. Cannot think of anything that cannot be subject of a joke.

Whether people find it funny is a different matter. If people don't laugh then it's just someone talking.

Last edited:
They are funny because of his skills. I still laugh at them because I see them in the context of the time.

In fact they are funnier because they aren't allowed to be funny anymore.

Mary Whitehouse won. Just a different type of Mary Whitehouse.

I didn't say they weren't funny. While you think they are funnier because they are forbidden, what do you think the reaction is of the targets of his jokes?

I didn't say they weren't funny. While you think they are funnier because they are forbidden, what do you think the reaction is of the targets of his jokes?

I assume quite a few blacks and asians aren't fans of Bernard Manning.

He is probably the only old school comedian who tells overtly racist jokes that I find funny.

He is probably the only old school comedian who tells overtly racist jokes that I find funny.

Would you agree then that whilst Mary Whitehouse was seeking to supress things that she disliked based on a morality that was outdated and irrelevant, the "different kind of Mary Whitehouse" was in fact calling something out that was actually harmful?

In the context of it not being allowed in a comedy routine, they mean things like "Did you hear the one about the atheists? Man, they're stupid aren't they? Atheists? ...."
How is that offence? People must live sheltered lives if they find that offensive.:lol:

I get where your coming from about funny jokes about Asians but he was a rascist person in real life, when I found this out I lost all respect for him. Laughing at his jokes makes him and me feel like im agreeing with him and not laughing at his jokes.

Would you agree then that whilst Mary Whitehouse was seeking to supress things that she disliked based on a morality that was outdated and irrelevant, the "different kind of Mary Whitehouse" was in fact calling something out that was actually harmful?

Just a Mary Whitehouse you agree with, that's all.

My potential offence is no reason for someone else to modify an act intended for a wide audience of people. The larger the audience the more likely something you say will offend someone.

If people don’t like a comedy routine they should either not laugh and keep quiet or leave. Either way, they should not then call for said routine to be banned or expect the comedian to apologise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back