Collapse of the Pyramid System

Status
Not open for further replies.

In theory if a second division of the premier league starts who do people think will join up??.Potentially all four leagues DSL,DCCL,DCL,NTSL. could all be hit and if so what will happen to the clubs who are left?? will everyone remain in there league and play each other maybe three times or will the county ask for a restructuring of north east cricket
My understanding is that out of the DSL the only teams that the Premier League would entertain are Whitburn and Boldon, who were the only two teams in the DSL to vote NOT to break the pyramid system.

As has been correctly mentioned earlier in this thread, the driver behind this whole fiasco was Durham City's unhappiness with the prospect of their wholly deserved relegation to the DCL. The system was broken to keep them in the DSL and now the shit's hitting the fan.

The same consideration was not extended to founder DSL members Seaham Harbour a couple of years back when they sent a round-robin letter to all member clubs of the DSL effectively begging for their DSL survival. One rule for one, another rule for another.

My understanding is that out of the DSL the only teams that the Premier League would entertain are Whitburn and Boldon, who were the only two teams in the DSL to vote NOT to break the pyramid system.

If they are starting a Second Division they will be looking for as many clubs as they can and this is the problem all leagues could face,it could be a route back in for Norton and i wouldnt rule out the likes of Burnmoor either.Not sure where the likes of Willington,Brandon,and Washington would stand whether they would see it as a move forward for there clubs at this moment and im pretty sure some clubs will sit on the fence and see how it goes,whichever route the leagues go down on Monday night i can see there being comings and goings over the next couple of years

If they are starting a Second Division they will be looking for as many clubs as they can and this is the problem all leagues could face,it could be a route back in for Norton and i wouldnt rule out the likes of Burnmoor either.Not sure where the likes of Willington,Brandon,and Washington would stand whether they would see it as a move forward for there clubs at this moment and im pretty sure some clubs will sit on the fence and see how it goes,whichever route the leagues go down on Monday night i can see there being comings and goings over the next couple of years

Coast League held our AGM last night and Boldon and Seaham Harbour were both re-elected to the League.

New rules:

Non-fulfilment of any fixture to be a £100 fine, which doubles if not paid within a month.

All clubs to have working hot showers by 2012 season
All clubs to have sightscreens by 2013 season
All clubs to have covers by 2014 season

Many clubs already have the above but the clubs have agreed amongst themselves to work towards all clubs having these facilities within that timeframe.

If Boldon and the Harbour were to fail to fulfil their Coast League fixtures it would cost them each around £15k in fines for the season.

Coast League held our AGM last night and Boldon and Seaham Harbour were both re-elected to the League.

New rules:

Non-fulfilment of any fixture to be a £100 fine, which doubles if not paid within a month.

Many clubs already have the above but the clubs have agreed amongst themselves to work towards all clubs having these facilities within that timeframe.

If Boldon and the Harbour were to fail to fulfil their Coast League fixtures it would cost them each around £15k in fines for the season.

And if they tell the league to stick their fines, who's going to enforce them? They'll likely be in a seperate league next year. (DSL)

I'm not siding, btw. And where did you get £15,000 from?

Last edited:

The Durham Cricket Board or ECB could enforce fines couldn't they?

Sadly if all this goes ahead the 3rd teams Sunday league could suffer as all the DSL teams would have to pull out of it.

And if they tell the league to stick their fines, who's going to enforce them? They'll likely be in a seperate league next year. (DSL)

I'm not siding, btw. And where did you get £15,000 from?

22 1st XI games at £200 per game = £4400
22 2nd XI games at £200 per game = £4400
11 3rd XI games at £200 per game = £2200
Plus fines for non fulfillment of junior fixtures.

Hahaha! As you know Sweeper, there's a few clubs in the League, who would rather shell out 'paying' wages to overpaid and mediocre players than sort out basic facilities, and as your own Chairman has pointed out on the BQ forum, those clubs 'continually hide behind the excuse of the ground not being owned by the Club'.

The same has been true of the same teams for a number of years. Perhaps this latest 'episode' might bring about some changes (but I doubt it).

Hahaha! As you know Sweeper, there's a few clubs in the League, who would rather shell out 'paying' wages to overpaid and mediocre players than sort out basic facilities, and as your own Chairman has pointed out on the BQ forum, those clubs 'continually hide behind the excuse of the ground not being owned by the Club'.

The same has been true of the same teams for a number of years. Perhaps this latest 'episode' might bring about some changes (but I doubt it).

Agreed, and the frustrating thing is that in many cases the clubs shelling out money on average players are the same ones who refuse to invest in improving their facilities.

Sweeper said:
Agreed, and the frustrating thing is that in many cases the clubs shelling out money on average players are the same ones who refuse to invest in improving their facilities.

Aye but there's a balance. Eg one of the leagues (may be the Prem) is insisting that all clubs have electronic scoreboards by 2013. Really, why the fuss over that though?

Isn't this exactly whats wrong with the leagues and what the ECB and the NEPL attempting to change?

Take Brandon as an example. If I'm correct didn't Brandon stop paying players and ended up struggling in the league, but invested in facilities instead.

Now they have a fantastic ground, excellent club house, youth structure and can now start to pay players like Turner to move them to the next level.

Surely they are an example to all clubs on how to bring success to a small village cricket team.

As I've mentioned before, Brandon would not be out of place with regards club structure in the NEPL. Where will all the good young players from the Durham area play if they manage to achieve NEPL, either 1st or 2nd Division status?

mickonline said:
Isn't this exactly whats wrong with the leagues and what the ECB and the NEPL attempting to change?

Take Brandon as an example. If I'm correct didn't Brandon stop paying players and ended up struggling in the league, but invested in facilities instead.

Now they have a fantastic ground, excellent club house, youth structure and can now start to pay players like Turner to move them to the next level.

Surely they are an example to all clubs on how to bring success to a small village cricket team.

As I've mentioned before, Brandon would not be out of place with regards club structure in the NEPL. Where will all the good young players from the Durham area play if they manage to achieve NEPL, either 1st or 2nd Division status?

Some good points and thanks for your kind words mate.

We did indeed restructure a few years ago and thanks to a lot of good work both on and off the field we have managed to turn the situation around.

As a club we have developed our youth set up and improved our playing facility's together. We are ambitious and want to progress but it will be done in conjunction with our financial position

Some good points and thanks for your kind words mate.

We did indeed restructure a few years ago and thanks to a lot of good work both on and off the field we have managed to turn the situation around.

As a club we have developed our youth set up and improved our playing facility's together. We are ambitious and want to progress but it will be done in conjunction with our financial position

How bad was it for yous and what prompted the change??

SAFC2403 said:
How bad was it for yous and what prompted the change??

We lost about 9 players at the end of one season couldn't attract decent quality had no money as the bar was doing poor. We always had strong juniors so few of the 18s had to step up, think we won one game in two year ! Few of us got together and put a plan together that literally ran month to month trying to run events eventually thing gradually improved we never lost sight of ground improvement and have never spent what we can't afford

We have lads that go the extra mile and they have worked unselfishly. A few willing to pull their sleeves up and get stuck in can make all the difference. Few of the Houghton lads are doing some good work over there.

This is what I heard if any of this is wrong then I appologise.

Pyramid system is no longer in place as of right now, promotion and relegation between the leagues has been stopped for two years. DSL and the PL can continue to advertise for teams to join their leagues although they need to tell everyone by Feb how many teams will be joing them for the 2013 season so plans can go in place.

No sanctions will be made agianst the DSL or any teams joining them only that if they opt back they will have to start at the bottom.

Leagues could be evened out however due to the Pyramid stopping it is likely leagues will advertise for new teams to join their respective leagues. IMO its looks like by the start of next year it will be a free for all as to which league you would like to be in.

If the PL do get a div 2 promotion and relegation will be stopped for 2 years in that league.

as I say though no teams can change leagues till 2013

eddyfinn said:
This is what I heard if any of this is wrong then I appologise.

Pyramid system is no longer in place as of right now, promotion and relegation between the leagues has been stopped for two years. DSL and the PL can continue to advertise for teams to join their leagues although they need to tell everyone by Feb how many teams will be joing them for the 2013 season so plans can go in place.

No sanctions will be made agianst the DSL or any teams joining them only that if they opt back they will have to start at the bottom.

Leagues could be evened out however due to the Pyramid stopping it is likely leagues will advertise for new teams to join their respective leagues. IMO its looks like by the start of next year it will be a free for all as to which league you would like to be in.

If the PL do get a div 2 promotion and relegation will be stopped for 2 years in that league.

as I say though no teams can change leagues till 2013

This is the situation as I understand it

We lost about 9 players at the end of one season couldn't attract decent quality had no money as the bar was doing poor. We always had strong juniors so few of the 18s had to step up, think we won one game in two year ! Few of us got together and put a plan together that literally ran month to month trying to run events eventually thing gradually improved we never lost sight of ground improvement and have never spent what we can't afford

We have lads that go the extra mile and they have worked unselfishly. A few willing to pull their sleeves up and get stuck in can make all the difference. Few of the Houghton lads are doing some good work over there.

You's should be proud of yourselves having read that. It's difficult these days to get kids into playing cricket. Eddy and a few others have done a cracking job at houghton as by their own admission they were struggling before hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back