Colemans, still the best fish and chips?

Bells in Durham take some beating but had a lovely meal in Coleman’s
Wetherby Whaler and Murgayroyds by Leeds/Bradford airport are also excellent.
As a curve ball, Parkgate Chippy on the Wirral is great as is the one in Rhos on Sea in North Wales
Bells has gone right downhill, the last few I've had from there have been average at best.

Always enjoyed Colmans, tried Longsands a few months back, that was really good.
Always wondered how so many chippies make shit fish and chips. How hard is it to get right?
the East coat
Bells has gone right downhill, the last few I've had from there have been average at best.
funny you should say that- Tom Field from Esh Winning supplied Bells their fish since they started.
Unfortunately, Tom died a few months ago and they are now buying the fish elsewhere. it may have something to do with it.
i guarantee it will only be a blip though. they do a great job normally.
I tried Fram 3 months ago and it was poor, fish was dry. Tried Gilesgate maybe 2 months ago, fish was nice and fresh. Tried Gilesgate 2 weeks ago and the fish was dry. Won't be back in a hurry at those prices.
For the north east, they know what to charge.

i would guess that both in farringdon dont use dripping nowadays
I lived down Reading in the eighties and the fish and chips were nothing like up here. They were different but not different in a negative way, just different.
The reason was because the chip shops there were mostly owned by Chinese people who fried in oil. Compared to dripping or lard up here.
What I'm talking about today is a lack of taste and what taste there is isn't pleasant. Now I haven't tried every shop in the NE but what I have tried I didn't find very good. Just varying degrees of not very nice.

I lived down Reading in the eighties and the fish and chips were nothing like up here. They were different but not different in a negative way, just different.
The reason was because the chip shops there were mostly owned by Chinese people who fried in oil. Compared to dripping or lard up here.
What I'm talking about today is a lack of taste and what taste there is isn't pleasant. Now I haven't tried every shop in the NE but what I have tried I didn't find very good. Just varying degrees of not very nice.
When we lived in London lot of chip shops were run by Greeks

Back