Cole Palmer

It's worth remembering that football is no longer an 11 man game.

Tournaments involve many games in a short period and we will need to preserve / rotate.

I can see Saka , Foden, Kane , Bellingham & Rice all starting - but can also see lots of game time for Palmer, Grealish, Watkins , Rashford and Gordon - the latter lot coming on from the bench .

Tournaments can have twists , turns , injuries, extra time.

Everyone will get their chance to shine if we progress

I don't want to see foden wide. I don't want to see rashford involved at all. But Southy will have other ideas. I think we should go with

Foden, Rice and Bellingham
Saka, kane and Gordon as a front 3
Aye class idea that playing our two most talented footballers out of position to accommodate Rat Boy.

Tournaments involve many games in a short period and we will need to preserve / rotate.

I can see Saka , Foden, Kane , Bellingham & Rice all starting - but can also see lots of game time for Palmer, Grealish, Watkins , Rashford and Gordon - the latter lot coming on from the bench .

Especially with 5 subs available. It’s a game of 1 and a half teams now.

This is a temptation that must be resisted.

It’s incredible to have such depth and should Southgate pick the likes of Rashford ahead of him on the plane, he wants shooting with shit.

But we can’t be crowbarring all our best attacking players onto the pitch.

The front four is: Kane, Saka, Bellingham, Foden.

That is arguably the player of the season for Bayern, Arsenal, Real and City.

Is he better than them? Not for me, for all he is an outstanding talent.

We need two more defensively minded players behind that. Mainoo and Rice, almost certainly.

Leave Rashford at home. We have better nines, better tens and better midfielders plus his attitude has often been questioned. We can do without any disruption.

Kane, Watkins and Toney if we want three out and out strikers.

I don't want to see foden wide. I don't want to see rashford involved at all. But Southy will have other ideas. I think we should go with

Foden, Rice and Bellingham
Saka, kane and Gordon as a front 3
you know Henderson will start the first game.
When we have a choice from Rice, Bellingham, Foden, Saka, Palmer, Grealish...

I would love Mr Henderson to be back at Sunderland, but he shouldn't be anywhere near the Euro's starting line up. I'd still take him for the squad and his experience.

Rice and foden in the middle.
bellingham box to box behind Kane.
Saka and Grealish on the wings (but i think Rashford will get the nod).

Then our bench is very strong.
palmer
Watkins
Toney
Gordon (mag)
Bowen
maddison
Mainoo
Gallagher
Eze
Trent as wing back
Stones can step int DEF MID.

If we are not in the final, he has failed as he normally does.

I would love Mr Henderson to be back at Sunderland, but he shouldn't be anywhere near the Euro's starting line up. I'd still take him for the squad and his experience.

palmer
Watkins
Toney
Gordon (mag)
Bowen
maddison
Mainoo
Gallagher
Eze
Trent as wing back

Henderson shouldnt even be in the squad

palmer
Watkins
Toney
Gordon (mag)
Bowen
maddison
Mainoo
Gallagher
Eze
Trent as wing back

Stones on bench 😳😅

Leave Rashford at home. We have better nines, better tens and better midfielders plus his attitude has often been questioned. We can do without any disruption.

Agree if rashford was at a smaller club doing what he's doing he wouldn't even be making the squads imho. Palmer needs to go he's having a fantastic season in a side that isn't exactly flying.

We need subs though and he's currently the joint top scorer in the PL.

Is Grealish injured like?

Oh aye, he should go. And be an option.

In time, I expect he will replace Kane. He’d be an unorthodox 9, but so is Kane these days, albeit a little more orthodox now at Bayern. Palmer could absolutely do the dropping into the 10 spot, creating, poaching and scoring penalties role though. Just lacks the physicality, but he’s young.

If you’re picking a player each and a back up, for me it’s: Kane (Toney), Saka (Palmer), Bellingham, (Maddison), Foden (Grealish).

You probably have one extra option, because Trippier will be the cover at right back and left back. So it will come down to Rashford or Watkins. I’m afraid, unpopular though it would be, I’d probably lean Rashford. The player in question is more likely to be brought on out wide, but they key quality has to be stretching a defence in behind - that’s what the above six lack. Watkins can do that, but from out wide? He’s had a lot better season than Rashford, but for England Rashford has remained decent and motivated. Whereas Watkins has looked over-awed when he’s played there.

palmer
Watkins
Toney
Gordon (mag)
Bowen
maddison
Mainoo
Gallagher
Eze
Trent as wing back

In reality, Eze, Maddison, Bowen, Watkins, Toney, Gordon, Palmer - won’t be all there.

There are three spots for that lot, four as an absolute maximum.
How much did Mount go for was it more than Palmer or less mate ?

More, but the idea City would have sold Palmer to United is a total non-starter anyway.

Last edited:

Especially with 5 subs available. It’s a game of 1 and a half teams now.

If I recall, we were crying out for a change in the Euro Final against Italy in the 2nd half. Yet Southgate chose not to do owt until after the Italian equaliser. Not the first time nor the last.

Back