Coldsores

Get L-Lysine tablets. My son used to get cold sores every other month, these seem to have cleared them up.
How often do you need to take them for it to work?

I’ve always had cold sores, two a year and just used zovirax. Since having the boys I’ve had six cold sores this year alone. Zovirax wouldn’t touch the sides.

Started by ordering aciclovir tablets from superdrug online with a private prescription. They took the average time down from a week to about five days but still don’t do much for them. Had some half decent results with the UV light contraption you can get in Boots.

I now have different much stronger meds from the Doctor after fighting to get them, and it still takes three days to go.

I seem to have super strength coldsores since having kids. You people who can use Zovirax are lucky. Mine laugh in the face of Zovirax.

How often do you need to take them for it to work?

I’ve always had cold sores, two a year and just used zovirax. Since having the boys I’ve had six cold sores this year alone. Zovirax wouldn’t touch the sides.

Started by ordering aciclovir tablets from superdrug online with a private prescription. They took the average time down from a week to about five days but still don’t do much for them. Had some half decent results with the UV light contraption you can get in Boots.

I now have different much stronger meds from the Doctor after fighting to get them, and it still takes three days to go.

I seem to have super strength coldsores since having kids. You people who can use Zovirax are lucky. Mine laugh in the face of Zovirax.
My son used to get coldsores every other month, as soon as one cleared up he'd get another one. He's been taking the tablets every day for about two years now and he doesn't get them anymore. Now, this may be due to him getting older and maybe building his immune system up (he's 18 this weekend), but then again, he was getting them at 15 - 16 so I suppose his immune system should have been fully up to speed then (obviously I'm not a doctor so what do I know?).

We had him to the doctors loads of times and he got prescribed aciclovir tablets, but they never got rid of them permanently, I also got him one of the UV light thing with limited success. The L-Lysine tablets seem to have worked, but as I say, he takes them every day without fail. In fact, it's about the only thing I don't have to get on his back for him to do.

I get them a few times a year, always hammer them with zovirax or cheaper chemist's own brand stuff for the stated 5 days then they just become a small scab.
I've found that stress, tiredness, being run down (generally, not like by a bus) and weather all bring them on
Awful little bastards, and my missus (no) has never had a coldsore in her life- maybe immune from it?

I used to be plagued by them, however for some mental reason since I had my tonsils out about 4 years ago I've never had one.

I dare say they were so f***ing manky I was constantly run down.

I used to be plagued by them, however for some mental reason since I had my tonsils out about 4 years ago I've never had one.

I dare say they were so f***ing manky I was constantly run down.
I would guess if your tonsil problem was making you run down, that's when the coldsores would strike. If you now feel better since having your tonsils out, that's probably why you don't get them anymore.

They're a pain in the arse, I get them every autumn/winter. Off the top of my head I think I got two tubes of own brand cream and a bottle of the liquid protection for around the same price as one Zovirax in Boots last month and it works just as well for me. The trick is to catch it when its that instantly recognisable itch and have some cream on hand 'cos if you have to go out and buy some you're probably gonna be too late to prevent it.

just got my yearly coldsore, there's literally nothing worse is there. A minging herpes spot festers and grows on your f***ing lip for anything up to 2 weeks and then starts bleeding all over and scabbing over taking ages to heal. Will no doubt be bleeding on my Christmas dinner now.

I get them every winter without fail. Zovirax worked a treat for a few years then, assuming the virus became immune, stopped having any effect.
My go to remedy now is Carmex Cold Sore treatment. Working a treat at present.

I get them abount twice a year, usually when run down or stressed. I did find one cream which was a 24 hour treatment, once on holiday in the US. Never been able to find it again though. It did work as well.

just got my yearly coldsore, there's literally nothing worse is there. A minging herpes spot festers and grows on your f***ing lip for anything up to 2 weeks and then starts bleeding all over and scabbing over taking ages to heal. Will no doubt be bleeding on my Christmas dinner now.
Yes mate there is. The same virus inside your eyeball. Nasty:mad:

Use them clear plasters (cannot remember the name sorry) but they work wonders as they dry them out pretty quick. Using Zovirax just keeps them wet and soggy for me like. Bloody awful things.

You have to be infected with the herpes simplex virus for a start. Some people are never infected, whilst those who are infected, often from parents or relatives when they're younger, and get cold-sores. Equally there are people who are infected but are asymptomatic.

Both my parents suffer with them, yet I've never had one.

Literally every single person I know gets them.

I must be immune :-O

I've noticed not washing my lips properly after eating salted nuts or crisps can set mine away too. Also, eating too much chocolate seems to trigger it.

Back