Coldsores

Was this on the cornea or in the vitreous?
Cornea.
Increased vasculatrity and scarring mean my cornea is now like frosted glass. Condition of the eye such that it is too high risk to go for cornea transplant. Just had to learn to be monocular. Screwed my golf for a while but now returned to my previous crap standard.

Have regular checks at Manchester eye hospital but these always seem to coincide with new student intake. Cue the "This is a really rare condition, can we just show some students?"

Sounds nasty. I once assisted in a procedure where a lady had the virus inside her eyeball. The surgeon inserted two tubes into the eye and sucked the vitreous humour out through one tube while refilling it with saline water through the other. One of the strangest things I've seen watching the eye collapse then regain it's shape.

Nastiest bit I've had was when they tried cauterising the blood vessels going into the cornea.
Fully conscious, Look up a bit, needle in, zap. Lok left needle in, zap. Repeat lots of times.

It's all about reading the signs. There have been a couple of times in the last year where I've just wanted to rub the skin around my mouth as it felt itchy. Instead, I lathered it in Zovirax and nothing materialised.
Exactly.

If you've had cold sores in the past, then as soon as you feel an itch on your lip slap some Zovirax on it.

I haven't had a cold sore - or such an itch - for 20 years now.

Never had them until 2009 then would get one every 18 months or so, horrific things. Got some L-Lysine lip balm and never had one since.

A handy if slightly gross tip is if you get the tingle with no meds to hand, rub a little ear wax on it. Works a treat.

I think I've been born with the virus as I've gotten them as long as I can remember. But I think certain things make the sores appear such as contact with unclean cups, kissing dirty people, and stress. I don't really kiss dirty people anymore and im always stressed so must have been that cup of tea I had at work yesterday.
You moved away from Peterlee?

Wad. Scabby lip or not.
Really good looking her like.

My son used to get coldsores every other month, as soon as one cleared up he'd get another one. He's been taking the tablets every day for about two years now and he doesn't get them anymore. Now, this may be due to him getting older and maybe building his immune system up (he's 18 this weekend), but then again, he was getting them at 15 - 16 so I suppose his immune system should have been fully up to speed then (obviously I'm not a doctor so what do I know?).

We had him to the doctors loads of times and he got prescribed aciclovir tablets, but they never got rid of them permanently, I also got him one of the UV light thing with limited success. The L-Lysine tablets seem to have worked, but as I say, he takes them every day without fail. In fact, it's about the only thing I don't have to get on his back for him to do.
I already take Daily meds so that won’t bother me. I’ll pick up some, ta.

I used to get 3-4 per year and they lasted a good 2 weeks. A mate told me to take Berocca daily as that worked for him, so I did and I haven’t had one since. That was about a year ago.

I already take Daily meds so that won’t bother me. I’ll pick up some, ta.
I spoke too soon. I got in last night to find my son has a coldsore perfectly timed for his 18th at the weekend :evil:

I would still recommend L-Lysine though, because as I said, he used to get one after another.

Get one of these devices https://www.amazon.co.uk/Virulite-Invisible-treatment-Coldsores-Simplex/dp/B003YFV1D8

Used to suffer a lot from them, creams and stuff never worked or just seemed to burn the skin off around them. Got one of these devices about 10 years ago and using it they got less and less and now never get them at all now. If I ever get the tingling sign which shows one is coming through using this device stops any breakout. Cant recommend it enough, even though it is expensive.

Exactly.

If you've had cold sores in the past, then as soon as you feel an itch on your lip slap some Zovirax on it.

I haven't had a cold sore - or such an itch - for 20 years now.

I rarely get an itch or a tingle like, usually just wake up on a morning and there's a coldsore there.

I also read recently that the virus isn't as bad as you get older and people generally get less coldsores as they age. I probably used to get 2-3 a year when I was younger and now I get maybe 1 a year, so I believe it.

just got my yearly coldsore, there's literally nothing worse is there. A minging herpes spot festers and grows on your f***ing lip for anything up to 2 weeks and then starts bleeding all over and scabbing over taking ages to heal. Will no doubt be bleeding on my Christmas dinner now.
Ah I see your old lady's given you a fat lip again for speaking out of turn during the Xmas shopping. I must say that I always used to claim that I got my seasonal black eye while getting the xmas tree out of the loft.

They're a pain in the arse, I get them every autumn/winter. Off the top of my head I think I got two tubes of own brand cream and a bottle of the liquid protection for around the same price as one Zovirax in Boots last month and it works just as well for me. The trick is to catch it when its that instantly recognisable itch and have some cream on hand 'cos if you have to go out and buy some you're probably gonna be too late to prevent it.
If they are a "pain in the arse" they are certainly not cold sores old boy.

Last edited:
Ah I see your old lady's given you a fat lip again for speaking out of turn during the Xmas shopping. I must say that I always used to claim that I got my seasonal black eye while getting the xmas tree out of the loft.

If they are a "pain in the arse" they are certainly not cold sores old boy.
You don't know where the dirty wenches were kissing me mate

Get one of these devices https://www.amazon.co.uk/Virulite-Invisible-treatment-Coldsores-Simplex/dp/B003YFV1D8

Used to suffer a lot from them, creams and stuff never worked or just seemed to burn the skin off around them. Got one of these devices about 10 years ago and using it they got less and less and now never get them at all now. If I ever get the tingling sign which shows one is coming through using this device stops any breakout. Cant recommend it enough, even though it is expensive.
Got one.

Used to work.

Doesn’t work now I have super powered coldsores since having kids. Helps a little bit but not completely. I still have a coldsore for a week.

Back