Codex Amiatinus at the British Library

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twaddle. It is a part of our heritage. Not theirs. They had nothing to do with it, I notice your elitist response.

Cheeky buggers. Having stolen it they take a "photo" and condescendingly allow us to see a rude facsimile of the documents our ancestors changed European history with.

How very nice of them

Well they won't see much from our area. We are not included in it because Durham was a County Palatine ruled by the Prince Bishops of Durham. They owned the land and properties, the people and crops/animals. So look in the Boldon Book for their version of their ownership.

Amazing how few people know simple, fundamental facts about our glorious county.

Please do. Whilst there you could ask them why the proud religious and intellectual history of the NE is represented by books and documents reside nowhere near the NE.

Surely not money?
It was given to the Vatican by the monks who made it. Nobody stole anything.

The Durham Palatinate postdates the Jarrow Wearmouth monastery by several centuries.

Last edited by a moderator:

It was given to the Vatican by the monks who made it. Nobody stole anything.

The Durham Palatinate postdates the Jarrow Wearmouth monastery by several centuries.

If you explore you may find what I found. The document transfers were an enforced financial transaction. It is a really interesting research. Stay away from Wiki, it is full of romantic bullshit on this topic.

I am well aware that St Peter's at Wearmouth commenced services in 673. The Palatinate was created as a military, religious and political force was created by Guiliaume Le Batarde as a barrier against the "Scots" after 1066. Opinions differ as to the actual year, but nevertheless, what we now know as County Durham is mostly not in the in the Domesday book because Guilaume seconded its ownership to the Prince Bishops of Durham. You might want to take a look in the Boldon Book.

I did think the St Cuthbert's Gospel should go back to stay in Durham permanently. It was written to go in his coffin so it feels right it should stay in Durham Cathedral with him.

If you explore you may find what I found. The document transfers were an enforced financial transaction. It is a really interesting research. Stay away from Wiki, it is full of romantic bullshit on this topic.

I am well aware that St Peter's at Wearmouth commenced services in 673. The Palatinate was created as a military, religious and political force was created by Guiliaume Le Batarde as a barrier against the "Scots" after 1066. Opinions differ as to the actual year, but nevertheless, what we now know as County Durham is mostly not in the in the Domesday book because Guilaume seconded its ownership to the Prince Bishops of Durham. You might want to take a look in the Boldon Book.
Source for the first claim (“enforced financial transaction”) please.

Source for the first claim (“enforced financial transaction”) please.
Forgive me, but you really should look for yourself. It was, as you may know, angry political time in the Roman Churc and I would rather you came back to me with your own contribution. I struggled for a long time.

I made quite believable knock off copies at the time but not the real thing. I was ill in bede at the time.
You must have been bedeviled with illness.

Forgive me, but you really should look for yourself. It was, as you may know, angry political time in the Roman Churc and I would rather you came back to me with your own contribution. I struggled for a long time.

I still am mate. It's a curse.

Edit:
On that note I bet the monks were Ill a lot using what they did for colours.

Last edited:
I still am mate. It's a curse.

Edit:
On that note I bet the monks were Ill a lot using what they did for colours.
Well one set of colours gave us Cappuchino, so all is not lost.

I did think the St Cuthbert's Gospel should go back to stay in Durham permanently. It was written to go in his coffin so it feels right it should stay in Durham Cathedral with him.
Of course it should. It is an inherent part of our heritage. London Library? Disgraceful, but typical.

Fake history. You’re talking rubbish and it’s a shame because people who don’t know about the period may be tempted to believe you.

It will be displayed in both Durham and London.

Fake history. You’re talking rubbish and it’s a shame because people who don’t know about the period may be tempted to believe you.
What are you talking about? I have undertaken consider able research in this area. I suggest you do the same.

What are you talking about? I have undertaken consider able research in this area. I suggest you do the same.
You’re unable to cite a single source. You’re distorting our history and doing it a terrible disservice.

I will return in about a year to pick this up, when I am absolutely certain that all of my references are up to date and I have something solid to present.

That was you in 2016 talking more rubbish about Bede @JohnAin.

You gave it a year. Three years later you still can’t produce references and sources.

You’re unable to cite a single source. You’re distorting our history and doing it a terrible disservice.

That was you in 2016 talking more rubbish about Bede @JohnAin.

You gave it a year. Three years later you still can’t produce references and sources.
A year was, as you point out, hopelessly optimistic. I work on.

I really am not sure why you choose to be so aggressive. However you are. At the moment I am finalising a publication on the Knights Templar in the Perigord. It has taken me roughly eight years to (almost) finalise and has delayed other projects.

Sadly you seem to have a view of your device superiority in a difficult historical area where an understanding of several old languages is obligatory, as is the veracity of scribes and "historians" of those periods, with their historical, religious and political biases. I try to use Latin, but of course that comes with it's own biases.

Anyway, I feel that I have suffered enough abuse from you so I will now put you on ignore. It's a shame but there you have it.

A year was, as you point out, hopelessly optimistic. I work on.

I really am not sure why you choose to be so aggressive. However you are. At the moment I am finalising a publication on the Knights Templar in the Perigord. It has taken me roughly eight years to (almost) finalise and has delayed other projects.

Sadly you seem to have a view of your device superiority in a difficult historical area where an understanding of several old languages is obligatory, as is the veracity of scribes and "historians" of those periods, with their historical, religious and political biases. I try to use Latin, but of course that comes with it's own biases.

Anyway, I feel that I have suffered enough abuse from you so I will now put you on ignore. It's a shame but there you have it.
I get angry because truth is a precious commodity. I won’t put you on ignore, I’ll watch out for you distorting history again and point out when you do do.

I get angry because truth is a precious commodity. I won’t put you on ignore, I’ll watch out for you distorting history again and point out when you do do.
Well you must please yourself. As I am certain you will do.
I simply cannot be doing with people who refuse to research ... as you have. When I was a kid my teacher referred to the period we fight over as the Dark Ages. Lazy historians. Clearly you are one of them.

Well you must please yourself. As I am certain you will do.
I simply cannot be doing with people who refuse to research ... as you have. When I was a kid my teacher referred to the period we fight over as the Dark Ages. Lazy historians. Clearly you are one of them.
If you've done the research and are able to cite sources to back your claims, why wouldn't you? You're posting something completely unsubstantiated and not likely to gain any followers of your claims for that reason.

If it's not documented, it's not done.

Went on a jolly to London to see the Anglo Saxon exhibition at the British Library yesterday. It was superb and the star of the show was the Codex, created at Wearmouth Jarrow monastery. It’s the first time it’s been back in England for over 1300 years. Our area at that time was at the centre of a golden age in the Anglo Saxon era. If you get the chance, go and see it, you won’t be disappointed.
Thanks for the tip, mate; I’m in London on 7th Feb without anything to do for the afternoon so this gives me a plan.

If you've done the research and are able to cite sources to back your claims, why wouldn't you? You're posting something completely unsubstantiated and not likely to gain any followers of your claims for that reason.

If it's not documented, it's not done.
Well first of all I am not looking to gain followers. Secondly if I can be bothered to undertake research then so can others.
I respect what you say, but on a web site where people regard Facebook and Twitter as reliable sources, referencing sources from six months of my research on this and related topics seems a complete waste of time to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back