Codex Amiatinus at the British Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

Churchlanelad

Central Defender
Went on a jolly to London to see the Anglo Saxon exhibition at the British Library yesterday. It was superb and the star of the show was the Codex, created at Wearmouth Jarrow monastery. It’s the first time it’s been back in England for over 1300 years. Our area at that time was at the centre of a golden age in the Anglo Saxon era. If you get the chance, go and see it, you won’t be disappointed.

Went on a jolly to London to see the Anglo Saxon exhibition at the British Library yesterday. It was superb and the star of the show was the Codex, created at Wearmouth Jarrow monastery. It’s the first time it’s been back in England for over 1300 years. Our area at that time was at the centre of a golden age in the Anglo Saxon era. If you get the chance, go and see it, you won’t be disappointed.
We are booked up for early Feb - really looking forward to it. We have seem a facsimile of it in a monastery on Mount Amiata (hence the name) in Tuscany where it was for 700 years, will be great to see the real thing. I think it goes back to Florence something like 18th Feb.

Thanks for posting. I'd be interested in seeing that.

Love stuff like this :cool:

So why is it in London and not here in the North East? Let me see if I can guess.

Been today and thoroughly enjoyed it. The codex was fantastic and I really liked the science books too. The bairn is happy as she wanted to see the Doomsday book. She's just done Normans in history. Thanks for mentioning it as I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Been today and thoroughly enjoyed it. The codex was fantastic and I really liked the science books too. The bairn is happy as she wanted to see the Doomsday book. She's just done Normans in history. Thanks for mentioning it as I wouldn't have known otherwise.
Glad that you enjoyed it, I just wonder how many Mackems have been to see this jewel of our heritage.

More people have access to it in London. it's not a conspiracy
Twaddle. It is a part of our heritage. Not theirs. They had nothing to do with it, I notice your elitist response.

We must do this thing.

The Vatican presented a facsimile to St Paul’s Jarrow.

Cheeky buggers. Having stolen it they take a "photo" and condescendingly allow us to see a rude facsimile of the documents our ancestors changed European history with.

How very nice of them

Glad that you enjoyed it, I just wonder how many Mackems have been to see this jewel of our heritage.
Well they won't see much from our area. We are not included in it because Durham was a County Palatine ruled by the Prince Bishops of Durham. They owned the land and properties, the people and crops/animals. So look in the Boldon Book for their version of their ownership.

Amazing how few people know simple, fundamental facts about our glorious county.

All of my books are in the British Library now as well as the Scottish, Welsh and Irish ones and Cambridge and Oxford uni. I am tempted to go in and have a JR Hartley moment one day.:lol:
Please do. Whilst there you could ask them why the proud religious and intellectual history of the NE is represented by books and documents reside nowhere near the NE.

Surely not money?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back