Club Shop and Merchandising.

1. Get out of any exclusivity deals which prevent merchandise sales by third parties (meaning the multiples and local independents)
2.Appoint a retail professional who understands merchandising, display and control of buying (mainly orders and delivery schedules)
3. Appoint someone reporting to 2 who understands e-commerce
4. Get clauses in supplier contracts penalising short/late deliveries
5. Relocate the shop to BCH and merge with the ticket office. It would be hard to find a worse location than the current one (although BCH is barely better)
6. Consider a city centre location (which would almost certainly have to be in the Bridges), subject to full forecasting models showing a clear cost-benefit.

i wouldn't consider multiple shops; our support is too dispersed for any location to carry sufficient weight of custom to make it worthwhile. Too many branches in too small an area results in suboptimal sales in all, effectively adding more cost than sales, and greatly increasing stockholdong costs. What many people don't realise is that overordering is a massive cost (hence getting the balance right); anything you can't sell basically has to be scrapped even though it's been paid for, Ideally, right now, we should have no stock pf 22/23 merchandise at all.
Did you just say sack Davison?

1. Get out of any exclusivity deals which prevent merchandise sales by third parties (meaning the multiples and local independents)
2.Appoint a retail professional who understands merchandising, display and control of buying (mainly orders and delivery schedules)
3. Appoint someone reporting to 2 who understands e-commerce
4. Get clauses in supplier contracts penalising short/late deliveries
5. Relocate the shop to BCH and merge with the ticket office. It would be hard to find a worse location than the current one (although BCH is barely better)
6. Consider a city centre location (which would almost certainly have to be in the Bridges), subject to full forecasting models showing a clear cost-benefit.

i wouldn't consider multiple shops; our support is too dispersed for any location to carry sufficient weight of custom to make it worthwhile. Too many branches in too small an area results in suboptimal sales in all, effectively adding more cost than sales, and greatly increasing stockholdong costs. What many people don't realise is that overordering is a massive cost (hence getting the balance right); anything you can't sell basically has to be scrapped even though it's been paid for, Ideally, right now, we should have no stock pf 22/23 merchandise at all.
Doesn't have to be the bridges , have it on high street west with is going to be revamped and will have footfall through the week and would be cheaper rent

Agree with the rest

We certainly shouldn't be thinking small. Not if what we're being told about our owners is true. Our support base is there. Team did OK last year, if stock was there and available we'd have sold it. We missed out on the pitch last year but if was no where near what we lost out on off the pitch. The argument about where we are is redundant, they've owned club for nearly 3 years. More than enough time for even small modest improvement. We've seen regression if anything.
Very good points

Doesn't have to be the bridges , have it on high street west with is going to be revamped and will have footfall through the week and would be cheaper rent

Agree with the rest

It doesn't even need to a be a massive shop. Everyone knows what the shirt, training gear etc., looks like. You don't need rails to browse through. They could do it Argos style with a sample shirt displayed on the shop floor and all the stock piled out the back.

Could also be a click and collect hub for online orders. I used to order stuff into the Galleries store and pick it up to save postage.

Given the club’s thinking on moving to electronic payment, tickets on phones etc I’d say there is little to no chance of them considering opening physical retail outlets in areas of retail decline.
The days of us chucking money away are hopefully over.

Not merchandising but a team from my work set off on a 200 cycle ride from Leeds to the SOL to raise funds in aid of a colleague who died from Prostrate Cancer a few years ago (huge SAFC fan).

Mission accomplished and arrived at the SOL. When they asked if they could possibly have photo opportunity inside the stadium they were told no.

The exposure the club would have got (from the company) would have been massive. All kitted out in Prostrate Cancer gear too.

Yes they should have rung ahead (actually no point..phones don't get answered).

It's the little things that make a difference.

Not merchandising but a team from my work set off on a 200 cycle ride from Leeds to the SOL to raise funds in aid of a colleague who died from Prostrate Cancer a few years ago (huge SAFC fan).

Mission accomplished and arrived at the SOL. When they asked if they could possibly have photo opportunity inside the stadium they were told no.

The exposure the club would have got (from the company) would have been massive. All kitted out in Prostrate Cancer gear too.

Yes they should have rung ahead (actually no point..phones don't get answered).

It's the little things that make a difference.
The PR would of been good also.

Good post.
In my previous local pub in London one of the regulars used to work for Lacoste. He’d regularly be choking on his beer at the club shop polo shirt tat worn by WHU, Arsenal,Spurs, Utd, Liverpool, Celtic and Rangers lads who drank in there. One look at the current SAFC shop shows why: eight polo shirts iirc and not one monobloc colour one. They’ve all got squares, stripes,hoops, different coloured arms and collars etc.
Hed explain that Lacoste have four monobloc colours that always sell at full price and are never on sale. Red, White, Black and that nice blue they do. The rest always end up on sale alongside the shitty ones that are their equivalent of the safc rubbish. That’s what safc should be concentrating on. Red, White, Black, Blue single coloured polos with nowt added apart from the current badge then the ship badge then the black cat from the stAdium walls then the 73 badge then the 60s badge.

I don’t believe anyone has bought one of the current club shop polos for themselves with their own money. They’re presents that the receiver has wished they’d never received. God help the eyes of their friends and families if they ever wear that shite.

“Poor”? It’s not even that good marra.
Has the Echo CRIME photographer got a job doing the photos of the gear? I thought it was just the Obika t-shirt below (tap image and the 2 finger zoom in to see the detail on the badge) but look at these man! 🤣

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

Back