Climate refugees

Sea levels are rising but so are parts of Britain. After the ice melted at the end of the last ice-age the north of Britain has been rising up by about 1mm a year and the south sinking by about 1mm every 2 years.

:: Areas of falling land and rising sea levels:

Somerset, Cornwall and Devon

Dorset, Hampshire and Sussex

Kent and Essex

Suffolk and Norfolk

The Wash

Humberside and North Lincolnshire

Shetland Islands.

South Wales

Southern Ireland

Western Ireland

:: Areas with little land-level change:

North Yorkshire; Cleveland

Mid Wales

:: Areas of rising land levels include:

Tyne and Wear

Northumberland coast, Berwickshire, East Lothian,

The Firth of Forth and the Moray Forth

Fife, Aberdeenshire, Caithness

Minch and the Western Isles

Argyll, Ayrshire and the Solway Firth

Northern Irish coast

Isle of Man

Cumbria, Lancashire and Merseyside

North Wales

I'm not sure how building a town on a tidal salt marsh was ever considered a good idea.
I think at least some of fairbourne was built in the late 1800s when they probably weren't thinking about the sea rising too much. Its a pretty bad situation for the people who expected to live the rest of their lives there. There is a beautiful stretch of beach by the dunes, so it's easy to see why people would have been seduced into living there more recently. It's not just like one of those idiotic new estates they build on flood plains...

They've built some near me. It was on grassland where a stream starts. In bad weather, all the water runs off the hills from Stanley and pools there. Some bloke from Durham County Council was adamant that it never floods even though several of us who walked there regularly pointed out that it does. Planning permission was granted and now the houses on that side are complaining because their back gardens are flooded when it rains heavy :rolleyes:

Name the councillor, the shitbag was obviously on the take to wave off concerns like that.

Name the councillor, the shitbag was obviously on the take to wave off concerns like that.

It wasn't the councillor. She was on our side and helped with objection letters to planning and came on the site walk when we protested.

It was a bloke in charge of planning. I think he was called Steve or Stuart. He was walking round the site with a collection of dog walkers behind him, saying to the other planning committee members "oh this never floods" as it was a period of warm summer weather so the land was dry. We were all saying come back when it's raining and we're plodging through it in our wellies, but he was adamant the ground never floods like that based on the one visit.

Houses are up now but they haven't done the landscaping. They were supposed to put aesthetic grassy bits in and a kickaround area for the bairns to play out on, but it's all still rough ground that's full of stones and weeds. Persimmon are a proper shan company.

Back