Class Pre-Season memories

Belgium was class
Week in Belgium watching SAFC in Antwerp, Ghent and St Truiden......Superb week and the crack was tremendous.

Long weekend in Germany when Sunderland played Hoffenheim, and more recently Hanover.

Class trip that remember a lad running on pitch to confront the players and his arse dropped when Quinn squared up to him (Ghent match) think the Belgium beer sent a few nuts

St Johnstone, at mirren, hearts, hibs and Celtic, great days out north of the border. Portugal was lovely but the top one was Amsterdam, never saw a ball kicked. Also special mention to darlo where I had one too many and nearly got sacked from work as a result

Belgium was class

Class trip that remember a lad running on pitch to confront the players and his arse dropped when Quinn squared up to him (Ghent match) think the Belgium beer sent a few nuts
Some lads came in fairly close to kick off (might have been the Shields Branch) and found one of the gates was open at the bottom and they were cutting the netting too....
Crackers that night.
But ALS did a cracking job organising the whole week.

Got loads but just read about our bond with Man City years ago on another thread. Reminded me of Ian Brightwell’s testimonial.

That was a fun afternoon as fans sung about Jamie Pollock.

Who was there?? Remember a canny turnout and a bin used as a drum.

Mags away Aug 75, beat them two nil in AS cup. We were division below them anarl.
I remember we played Newcastle in the 1980s and if I recall we came from a goal down to win 2-1. John Hawley and big Sam the goal scorers.
80+ arrests that day for a friendly attended by under 12000.
Absolute hell on before game and a bit after.
Think Hawley gave us the lead mind.
Can anyone remember a game at Doncaster’s old ground about 15 ish years ago. There was this big noisy World war 2 type plane doing laps above and all our end singing the dambusters tune?…
Did Stephen Elliot debut for Safc that day ? Was on a Sunday ?

Last edited:
Reading the Darlo stadium thread I remembered going to a friendly there when we beat them 4-0 when Bruce took over. I think we took about 4000 of a 5000 crowd. The traffic was horrendous. The parking was none existent. Getting a beer was just about impossible. Got back to the car and some fella pops up saying he owned the gypsie camp I'd accidentally parked near. He said he was going to smash my motor into a million pieces and sell it for spare parts. At which point my mate, only recently out of the army, threatened to smash him into a million pieces and harvest his organs purely for shits and giggles.

My abiding memory was thinking I'm about to be murdered in traffic jam on the A66 by travellers so bad at travelling they'd taken out a long term plot on the outskirts of Darlo.

I'm still trying to work out if that gets filed as one of lifes high or low points.

Mags away Aug 75, beat them two nil in AS cup. We were division below them anarl.

80+ arrests that day for a friendly attended by under 12000.
Absolute hell on before game and a bit after.
Think Hawley gave us the lead mind.

Like I say my memory is sketchy. I just remember Hawley and big Sam scoring though. Diving header one of them I think at the roker end.

Can anyone remember a game at Doncaster’s old ground about 15 ish years ago. There was this big noisy World war 2 type plane doing laps above and all our end singing the dambusters tune?…
Yep me and a load of mates from Billingham went. Got into a pub really early. Bobbies swarmed the place thought we were hooligans lol. It was funny... it was a nice sunny day... The whole end where doing the dam busters... Brilliant. Went to Celtic.. Rangers etc.. Only once abroad that was Ghent... Fantastic couple of days.

Home games v Ajax, Juventus, Sampdoria and the Gary Bennett testimonial v Rangers.

Away games at Hoffenheim, Borussia Monchengladbach, Breda, Vitesse Arnhem, Calais, Rangers, Amsterdam tournament.

Some great games there, the Hong Kong one was a year too early for me though before I went out to Philippines.

He might have done I think it was the summer he signed.
Yep me and a load of mates from Billingham went. Got into a pub really early. Bobbies swarmed the place thought we were hooligans lol. It was funny... it was a nice sunny day... The whole end where doing the dam busters... Brilliant. Went to Celtic.. Rangers etc.. Only once abroad that was Ghent... Fantastic couple of days.
Yeah that sounds right, I remember bumping into an old workmate near the bogs at HT he was red as owt and trying to get some shade under a bush! 😂

Aye I remember that. Thought it was a Lancaster bomber but might be wrong. I was stood in the open end terrace and I recall it being a hot day, which wasn’t ideal for me considering I’d already had bad sun burn from about a week before.

Aye I remember that. Thought it was a Lancaster bomber but might be wrong. I was stood in the open end terrace and I recall it being a hot day, which wasn’t ideal for me considering I’d already had bad sun burn from about a week before.
The Donny bar staff were amazing.

Fond memories of an Irish bar in Breda, swapping Nick Cave bootlegs with some random Dutch bloke (not a euphemism!). Then we got stuffed by NAC. Must have been about 20001? Certainly before digital music was a thing and when it was still socially acceptable to have hard copies of your tunes.

Korea was a bit special anarl. Was kipping at a mate's flat in Seoul, and wasn't popular stumbling in at daft o'clock after getting ratted in Suwon following a miserable 1-0 defeat to some Korean team. She'd booked us onto a trip to the DMZ for the next day, which was fine, but we had to meet the bus at about 7:30 am. It was all run by the US military base, so lots of paperwork and security checks before we set off, with me hiding behind sunglasses, clutching a bottle of water like my life depended on it (possibly because my life actually depended on it) and desperately trying not to throw up on a US army bus.

So yeah, crap football and random memories to treasure. Supporting SAFC in a nutshell.

Remember that one anarl.
200001 !!!

So we shit in the future also !!!!

Back