Class Pre-Season memories

Got loads but just read about our bond with Man City years ago on another thread. Reminded me of Ian Brightwell’s testimonial.

That was a fun afternoon as fans sung about Jamie Pollock.

Who was there?? Remember a canny turnout and a bin used as a drum.

Pretty sure I was there, we had a goal disallowed and they had a dodgy penalty that was saved i think?

My favourite was the Portugal one, nice holiday.

Random one would have been Plymouth I think, was only a hundred or so of our fans. Think helmer played.

Celtic. 2012. Mate (Celtic season ticket holder) sorted us out with a brilliant corporate do. Won 2-0 and convinced me that we were heading for European domination :lol:

A fantastic day - the match was followed by a Glasgow pub crawl and a curry. All a bit of an upgrade from my previous Scotland pre-season jaunt - ie Falkirk in 1992.

Shelbourne away on a Monday night 2006. Great drink pre match. Didn't see much, all our lot left at half time. They couldn't let the football waste a good night in Dublin. It was.
Remember hearing random "Niall Quinns disco pants" chants around Temple Bar. In the academy there's pennants from hundreds of clubs. I've passed this one from the game loads and brings back good memories.

2009, Peterborough away. Drove up with my best mate who's a Posh fan, met the players after, Lorik Cana was ages talking to an old man and was genuinely interested in what he was saying.

Hong Kong 2013 - one of the best weekends I've had watching the lads.

Pretty sure I was there, we had a goal disallowed and they had a dodgy penalty that was saved i think?

My favourite was the Portugal one, nice holiday.

Random one would have been Plymouth I think, was only a hundred or so of our fans. Think helmer played.

ALS did a pre-season tour. We played Plymouth, Exeter and Torquay. Absolutely CLASS week away. Played West Brom on the way home for good measure too.

Fond memories of an Irish bar in Breda, swapping Nick Cave bootlegs with some random Dutch bloke (not a euphemism!). Then we got stuffed by NAC. Must have been about 20001? Certainly before digital music was a thing and when it was still socially acceptable to have hard copies of your tunes.
I was in Breda (and Arnhem) and we were in some bar, no idea if it was Irish or not, met a few Breda lads in there and they wanted a photo of themselves with my flag. Cracking few days basing ourselves in Amsterdam. Seem to recall about 10,000 Celtic fans there as they were playing Ajax in Champs League qualifier (1 got shot outside of Hooters).

Ayr Utd back in the 70's. Hitch hiked there with a lad called Bob Ethridge, better known as Eccles (@Vauxie will remember him) sadly no longer with us. We had about a tenner between us and that was only because I rifled my mam's phone box and Bob sold his dad's watch :lol:. For reasons unbeknown to me we went via Edinburgh and Glasgow and it took us best part of two days, including a ride on a hay laden tractor. We got there in time though and blagged a lift on the supporters coach coming back. Happy days.

Edit.. August 4th 1971 we drew 1-1 7k attendance.

Last edited:

Back