City breaks outside UK

Me and my sister in law fancy Milan next we did Lisbon last October

I thought the best things in Milan was the Monumental Cemetery and the castle. Didn't think there was that much to do/see after you've done the cathedral, shopping arcade and opera house (all near each other). A walk up and down the canal in the evening for food and drink and that was it.

I doubled it up with a day/night in Bergamo and a day/night in nearby Sarnico (really nice place) to see the home bar of the Italian Mackems.

Scandinivia
I thought Stockholm, Oslo and Helsinki a bit, well, dull. Copenhagen is good. Quite fancy Bergen and Trondheim
I'd give Naples a swerve.
I thought Naples was OK, if you enjoy cities like Glasgow (ie a bit rough). Plus it's an easy hop to Capri
Athens is canny. Went last year and loved it
Once you've done the Parthenon is there much else there? (ie enough for a weekend?)

Last edited:
I thought Stockholm, Oslo and Helsinki a bit, well, dull. Copenhagen is good. Quite fancy Bergen and Trondheim

I thought Naples was OK, if you enjoy cities like Glasgow (ie a bit rough). Plus it's an easy hop to Capri

Once you've done the Parthenon is there much else there? (ie enough for a weekend?)
There is loads of sites etc. Mind I was with Greeks and we went to places a bit out of centre. But there are loads of great bars etc. I would go again tomorrow. It’s all about taste. People rave on about Lisbon on here and I thought it was absolutely shite.

Visited Ksamil in September, lovely place. Flew to Corfu though and got the ferry over to Saranda and had a week in Albania. Spent a few days in Saranda and Dhermi then had a day in ksamil.

Plan this year was to fly to Tirana but possibly having to give it a miss now. Looking for somewhere else September/October. Shortlisted a few in this thread
Did the same myself in August ferry from Corfu, tbh was disappointed with Ksamil, felt like a standed resort in Turkey guess I thought it was going to be a bit more special (got tricked by some filtered photos on Google probably) didn't have high expectations for Saranda but it was ok, I really liked Tirana though would go back! Year before we went to Montenegro Kotor/Budva and really enjoyed it, thought it would be more of the same but wasn't as good

Did the same myself in August ferry from Corfu, tbh was disappointed with Ksamil, felt like a standed resort in Turkey guess I thought it was going to be a bit more special (got tricked by some filtered photos on Google probably) didn't have high expectations for Saranda but it was ok, I really liked Tirana though would go back! Year before we went to Montenegro Kotor/Budva and really enjoyed it, thought it would be more of the same but wasn't as good
I was fully expecting to get catfished off ksamil so lowered my expectations, probably helped. Only spent the day there but had a couple of lovely meals and chilled in a couple beach bars so enjoyed it.

Do fancy Tirana though. The plan was to fly to Tirana this year then spend the week in dhermi this time, maybe a day or 2 in Vlore. Montenegro is on my list as well, can get cheap flights to Tivat - assuming you flew to there? Do really fancy Athens and one of the Greek islands in September so think that’ll be what we do

I’ve been looking to book one for April but the selection of flights from Ncl now is shocking. It’s looking like Paris atm as Amsterdam and Rome are a fortune. Any other suggestions?

I was fully expecting to get catfished off ksamil so lowered my expectations, probably helped. Only spent the day there but had a couple of lovely meals and chilled in a couple beach bars so enjoyed it.

Do fancy Tirana though. The plan was to fly to Tirana this year then spend the week in dhermi this time, maybe a day or 2 in Vlore. Montenegro is on my list as well, can get cheap flights to Tivat - assuming you flew to there? Do really fancy Athens and one of the Greek islands in September so think that’ll be what we do
I read some articles calling it the 'Maldives of Europe' before I went and was really excited, ...it's nice, lovely clear turquoise waters in some of the coves etc just the town bit felt overdeveloped for a small place, it's cool to visit mind, just wouldn't go for more than a few days, Tirana is great so much history and some obscure tourist attractions, can explore these underground bunkers and lots of the communist buildings are interesting, Blloku area was really chilled and has a nice buzz for bars and restaurants, food isn't bad either imo, Yes I remember looking into Vlore further north isn't it? - would make a nice trip travelling up towards the Montenegro way actually.

We flew into Podgorica (not much going on) and got a taxi about 45 mins to the coastal resorts but yes Tivet is probably much better to get down that way, Aye Athens is another nice break, obviously the history is fantastic, some real nice neighbourhoods with a proper coffee shop culture that were great to chill out in, our lass is Greek so we visit the mainland every summer, Plan to head up towards North Macedonia and visit lake Ohid? this summer, love Croatia too, that whole part of Europe is worth exploring definitely.

Would the petrol and parking not then just make it just as expensive though? Can’t imagine parking being cheap for four days or so?

Park somewhere near the airport tram line and parking is free (have to pay for the tram though). Petrol about £15 each way max. There's loads more destinations from Manchester too. We've got a daughter lives in Fallowfield so we just park near hers and get on at St Werburghs Road.

Sounds class mate.
I've had Seville, Cordoba, Granada, Malaga planned a couple of times but had to postpone so far.
Done Sevilla a few times, Malaga loads (love the nightlife) but always fancied Granada and Cordoba but never done it, so fancy a day trip to ronda if car hire works out

Park somewhere near the airport tram line and parking is free (have to pay for the tram though). Petrol about £15 each way max. There's loads more destinations from Manchester too. We've got a daughter lives in Fallowfield so we just park near hers and get on at St Werburghs Road.
£15 to Manchester. You get some good miles to the gallon 😃.

Currently in Málaga. Really is the perfect long weekend destination. Cheap flights from regional airports, decent weather all year around, good food and drink and reasonably priced.
It’s a crackin night out , the old town , or is in the summer months anyway , really bustly

Back