City breaks outside UK

Which is the best/easiest way to get to Leeds/Bradford by public transport from Sunderland ?
Have never considered flying from there as thought it only had a few destinations...
Not fantastic like

Train to york then leeds
Or
Train to newc then leeds

Then bus described above.

Maybe 3-4 hours.
Yes, felt very safe unlike some other cities I could name (here's looking at you Barcelona!). Had a pizza and glass of wine right in the middle of the old town last night and it only came to €12. Wine is just ridiculously cheap (cheaper than beer)
I refuse to believe Barca couldnt clean up its act a bit if the will was there. Massive shame.

Last edited:

Malaga is a 15 minute city with a marina, beach, history, shopping, food and drink all within a short walk plus we were in shorts and t shirts in January!

Plus only €1.50 on the train to/from the airport.

Just got back home. Excellent weekend - Thursday and Friday were around 21c during the day (but a bit windy) with only a jumper needed in the evenings. Saturday was a bit cooler but still fine for eating and drinking outside

I’ve been looking to book one for April but the selection of flights from Ncl now is shocking. It’s looking like Paris atm as Amsterdam and Rome are a fortune. Any other suggestions?
Do not do Paris mate! It is an absolute shit tip! We honeymooned there in 92, it has got worse, go every 2 yrs for rugby, bin it off! As mentioned earlier in thread Brugge or Brussels, u will enjoy it far much more!

Do not do Paris mate! It is an absolute shit tip! We honeymooned there in 92, it has got worse, go every 2 yrs for rugby, bin it off! As mentioned earlier in thread Brugge or Brussels, u will enjoy it far much more!

Paris is probably my least favourite big city in Europe.

Plus it is a building site now as it gets ready for the Olympics and prices over the summer are going to be sky high.

Oooft, too late. Already booked! Any recommendations on things to do and places to visit will be greatly appreciated in that case :lol:

If anyone decides to go to Dresden then they’re only 30 mins or so from Colditz. Which is the greatest tourist site I’ve been to. Fuck the ESB, Statue Of Liberty, Alamo, Hollywood sign, Eiffel Tower, Coliseum, Acropolis/Parthenon, Vatican, Disneyworld, Leaning Tower, Bridge of Sighs, Bridge Of Spies etc etc.
Id watch the tv series and fillum first. Maybe even read the books.

Leipzig’s 30 miles or so away anarl if you fancy taking in a game. Dresden bounce between the top two divisions.

Zagan just over 2 hours away, Terezin just over an hour. Both good WWII places to visit.

Oooft, too late. Already booked! Any recommendations on things to do and places to visit will be greatly appreciated in that case :lol:
A boat trip down the Seine, some good wine and scran available! Melun (sp) was canny! Obvs (Tower, Champs, Louvre for a bit of culture)! Do not venture far off the beaten track, todays Paris, makes Gaza look like Beverley Hills with all respect! Do not wear watches/Jewellery either, just sayin like!

Paris is great. Anything specific areas of interest?
We usually like doing the touristy stuff so will probably do the Eiffel Tower and Notre dam but I also fancy a show as I think she’d like that. May be a daft question, but would they not all be in French?
A boat trip down the Seine, some good wine and scran available! Melun (sp) was canny! Obvs (Tower, Champs, Louvre for a bit of culture)! Do not venture far off the beaten track, today’s Paris, makes Gaza look like Beverley Hills with all respect! Do not wear watches/Jewellery either, just sayin like!
Will defo book the boat trip then!

We usually like doing the touristy stuff so will probably do the Eiffel Tower and Notre dam but I also fancy a show as I think she’d like that. May be a daft question, but would they not all be in French?

Will defo book the boat trip then!
They have subtitles mate.

The only downside is the early morning flight from Ponteland

Malaga? Just do what my lass and I do. Stop overnight at one of the hotels at the airport. Had I not had the Saturday approved as a day off at the start of the week already approved I would have had to finish work at 10 pm and drive straight to the airport from there for the 7 am flight.

Back