Christmas compendium ... November 22

Too true.
Idols corner and High Street West used to be jumping.
Especially trying to avoid the Dewhirst girls as well!!
Black Eye Friday will never be the same since the demise of the dreaded Yellow Peril.
I just regret that this was before the days of everyone having video cameras on their phones, so when I regale our lass with the myths and legends of the Yellow Peril I have to rely on word of mouth recollections and cant back it up with video evidence!

Black Eye Friday will never be the same since the demise of the dreaded Yellow Peril
I just regret that this was before the days of everyone having video cameras on their phones, so when I regale our lass with the myths and legends of the Yellow Peril I have to rely on word of mouth recollections and cant back it up with video evidence!

The dreaded yellow peril :lol::lol::lol:

Xmas and NYE eve drinking in pubs has died on its arse since the turn of the century. Not helped of course by the fact a lot of youngins nowadays are health conscious fannies.

Not helped of course by the fact a lot of youngins nowadays are health conscious fannies.

<< good point, tinternet and mobile phones ruined everything also as young uns dont need to go out to stay in touch with mates, also the continental pub hours has made it far less busy , older people tend to go out early and younger ones tend to come out when the older ones are goin home

Friend of mine went out to get the turkey one Christmas Eve. He stopped off for a fast pint on the way home. He woke up on the floor in the sitting room the next morning, drool coming out of his mouth onto the floor, turkey next to him thawed out. Can't remember, but I don't think his Mrs was too happy when she rang him that morning to say she was on the way.

It's when you wake up in the middle of the night (circa 3/4am Christmas Day), trousers round your ankles laid on the floor of a wine bar, locked in the club in the pitch black so drunk still you can't find the exit for the toilet cubicle you woke up in you realise maybe you slightly over did it.
Thankfully they had security working who heard my cries for help, if it had alarms put in before rather than after the new year I may have been stuck in there until Boxing Day.
Christmas Day dinner as everyone went into the dining room/kitchen to eat my gran came over to me and started crying in my face telling me I'd ruined Christmas for everyone, especially my mam.
Needless to say I don't drink much on Christmas Eve anymore, limit myself to three or four pints.

Last edited:
Me n the lads used to do a varied pub crawl of local(ish) pubs with a few in we wouldn't normally frequent.

For example, one year we did Hetton to Houghton:

Fox & Hounds (irregular)
New Inn (semi regular)
Colliery Tavern (at that point never in me natch)
Brewers (once or twice)
Shepherds (only on Chrismas Eve)
Three Tuns (former regular)
The Burn (as above)
The Gold/Boar Houghton Central spangled.

Did that or similar a few times. Another year it was Newbottle:

Club
Potters (only time I ever went in I think)
Sun
Mama's for a pizza
Me mate's father's house in Grasswell - couple of whisky chasers - this is where it went pear shaped
Coms
Snooker Club apparently
Gold - or so they say

I missed me Christmas dinner that year. :lol:

The last one we did:
Board Inn (possibly my only ever visit)
Stackyard (1st of few visits)
Stables (as above)
Herra club - bastard was shut
The Philadelphia (one of the lads was driving, which came in handy)
Then back to the Boar I think

Great afternoons. A couple of Godchildren have put paid to it in recent years but might try and revive the old tradition this year.

It hasn’t, it’s just that a lot of your generation have got bairns now.

As I said, that didn't stop our parents (Dads) from going out on the piss.

I asked a taxi driver if he was working it this year. He said probably not as the town is usually dead.

And other posts also confirm its died off massively over the last decade.

was the best day of the year when i was 18-30 , all our lads would turn out and town would be rammed all day and night

It stopped for me when had kids and nearly had an eastenders christmas day ... mine are now both late teens so i can prob get smashed again on a xmas eve :lol:

<< this for definite, was best day of the year, busier than any bank holiday sunday

the closure of dewhirts put a dent in it also :lol:
Every man and his dog used to be out in the afternoon. All the seaburn lot in fancy dress. Hell on some years.. Great times though

we were in the John Duck in Durham 2 years ago and they shut up shop at 8pm, only 3 of us in. went outside, must have been 30 taxis standing idle, it was a ghost town.

It's when you wake up in the middle of the night (circa 3/4am Christmas Day), trousers round your ankles laid on the floor of a wine bar, locked in the club in the pitch black so drunk still you can't find the exit for the toilet cubicle you woke up in you realise maybe you slightly over did it.
Thankfully they had security working who heard my cries for help, if it had alarms put in before rather than after the new year I may have been stuck in there until Boxing Day.
Christmas Day dinner as everyone went into the dining room/kitchen to eat my gran came over to me and started crying in my face telling me I'd ruined Christmas for everyone, especially my mam.
Needless to say I don't drink much on Christmas Eve anymore, limit myself to three or four pints.

Pisshead.

Back