Choose a school for TT jnr

toxic tracksuit

Central Defender
Next year he moves to big boy comp. Either Southmoor or St Aidan’s is the current shortlist, due to location and they are both ‘Good’ according to Ofsted. Both have advantages and disadvantages. We aren’t catholics btw.
Any advice?

Both kids went to Southmoor and never had a problem once! One done very well in her GCSES other is on course to do even better!

Southmoor.

Improved massively over the past decade or so. Would have preferred my kid went there but as his mates were all going to Venerable Bede we sent him there.

I wouldn't entertain sending my kid to Aidan's, and I say that as someone that went to Aidan's.

Next year he moves to big boy comp. Either Southmoor or St Aidan’s is the current shortlist, due to location and they are both ‘Good’ according to Ofsted. Both have advantages and disadvantages. We aren’t catholics btw.
Any advice?
We are in the same situation for our eldest girl. Live in Fulwell but dont want her going to Monkwearmouth (feeder school) so our shortlist choice is St Anthonys (we arent catholic either) or Whitburn (about zero chance of her getting in).

The schools you mention did presentations at our junior school towards the end of last term and I was impressed with both. What does your son want to do? Have you been to the Open Evenings to have a look around?

We are in the same situation for our eldest girl. Live in Fulwell but dont want her going to Monkwearmouth (feeder school) so our shortlist choice is St Anthonys (we arent catholic either) or Whitburn (about zero chance of her getting in).

The schools you mention did presentations at our junior school towards the end of last term and I was impressed with both. What does your son want to do? Have you been to the Open Evenings to have a look around?
Southmoor open evening last week but it was more like a fete with daft games and gimmicks. Learnt nowt about the school. St Aidan’s tonight which shows they are shit at all planning.

Southmoor open evening last week but it was more like a fete with daft games and gimmicks. Learnt nowt about the school. St Aidan’s tonight which shows they are shit at all planning.
Go with your gut instinct I guess. Hopefully your visit tonight will help make the decision a bit easier.

Even the special measures schools are good schools to go to. There are the schools that are getting monitored closely and the help to improve. Selfish as it sounds choose a school that suits you to. No real point of doing a few mile school run when you could walk to one in 5-10 minutes

Last edited:
Any advice?
Both did a presentation at fulwell a little while ago, southmoor sold there school really well and if it was closer i’d Have looked into it further. St Aidan’s isn’t an option for a girl so I sort of switched off but he basically just wanked on about results.

Both did a presentation at fulwell a little while ago, southmoor sold there school really well and if it was closer i’d Have looked into it further. St Aidan’s isn’t an option for a girl so I sort of switched off but he basically just wanked on about results.
I was at that presentation too so we may well know each other!

Any advice?
What’s the feeder school? Sometimes moving them from mates can prove counter productive even if the other school is ‘better’

Even the special measures schools are good schools to go to. There are the schools that are getting monitored closely and the help to improve. Selfish as it sounds choose a school that suits you to. No real point of doing a few mile school run when you could walk to one in 5-10 minutes

Agreed, a good kid will do well regardless

Southmoor.

Improved massively over the past decade or so. Would have preferred my kid went there but as his mates were all going to Venerable Bede we sent him there.

I wouldn't entertain sending my kid to Aidan's, and I say that as someone that went to Aidan's.

couldn't agree more and I went there too. I was there 1997 to 2003. The facilities were appalling and now I look back the careers advice was terrible too. It was all about getting as many kids into uni whether it was right for them or not, but it looked good for their numbers.

Back