Chester-Le-street V virgin media cabinets.

So Virgin can go ahead and do what they want basically.
Bad move by Virgin - Fuck the residents.
The end of common courtesy by the looks of it.
All they had to do was put a flyer through the door of each house on the estate.
Typical of todays Tory Government - fuck everyone else as long as the big fish in the pond get their own way.

If they 'consulted' on every cabinet they put in, it would literally take about 20 years to do one town.

Thank god it's not done as it's a complete waste of time and money. It's literally a cabinet down a side street which impacts absolutely no-one.

NIMBY's at their best with nothing better to do. God help them if they went for the pole approach which they've done in other areas, be pitchforks out and the lot and they can't argue on a 'value' point as Fibre Broadband will increase the value of a house.

If they 'consulted' on every cabinet they put in, it would literally take about 20 years to do one town.

Thank god it's not done as it's a complete waste of time and money. It's literally a cabinet down a side street which impacts absolutely no-one.

NIMBY's at their best with nothing better to do. God help them if they went for the pole approach which they've done in other areas, be pitchforks out and the lot and they can't argue on a 'value' point as Fibre Broadband will increase the value of a house.
Nah.
Common courtesy is the key thing here.
A simple mail drop through residents doors at the planning stage of any such installation is the way to go.
Not just turning up and putting stuff on their local footpaths and then causing hassle within the residential area.
Things like this can be done in a way that has a bit of foresight and decorum.

Nah.
Common courtesy is the key thing here.
A simple mail drop through residents doors at the planning stage of any such installation is the way to go.
Not just turning up and putting stuff on their local footpaths and then causing hassle within the residential area.
Things like this can be done in a way that has a bit of foresight and decorum.

But what happens when you have people moaning?

Ignoring them and doing it anyway is much much worse and if you start listening to people you're going round circles or they'll just pull it altogether and the other 100+ people in the estate lose out.

It's a no win situation imo but get your point.

They're not blocking the footway so there's nothing to complain about really. It's sensibly placed.

They should see whether any local artists would be interested in doing something with it. Nice blank canvas to play with.

But what happens when you have people moaning?

Ignoring them and doing it anyway is much much worse and if you start listening to people you're going round circles or they'll just pull it altogether and the other 100+ people in the estate lose out.

It's a no win situation imo but get your point.
It's then down to compromise surely?
But at least the residents have been consulted.

There’s BT cabinets all over and no bugger complains about them…probably helps that they’re green and not grey so Virgin should probably paint theirs red.
That consultation would cost Virgin millions cos they’d have to do it for every single cabinet and that cost would then be passed on to the customer who would moan about the price of their broadband. Can’t win really.

Don't think they need permission like, isn't it permitted development. What's worse is they can put utilities in the highways over bridges without permission then it costs fortunes for temporary diversions when the bridges need rebuilding, and it's not the utility company cost.

There’s BT cabinets all over and no bugger complains about them…probably helps that they’re green and not grey so Virgin should probably paint theirs red.

Aye definitely, I'm not sure why they've gone for the bright Grey cabinets lately mind, they do stand out massively for little benefit. Costs no doubt.

All costs though, and you'll end up with people moaning about every cabinet give or take, as that's what some people like to do. Be an absolute nightmare and the country would be stuck on ADSL, as FTTC would've been a nightmare for the same problems (very little moaning about that).

I get your point to be fair, but at the end of the day they benefit from it. It's not like it's for a factory or something.

As already mentioned, if they were dark green or similar, they wouldn't stand out as much, that grey is used in my industry for industrial junction boxes, when the paint/coating does start to go, the rust and it stains show up easily, looks shite.

So Virgin can go ahead and do what they want basically.
Bad move by Virgin - Fuck the residents.
The end of common courtesy by the looks of it.
All they had to do was put a flyer through the door of each house on the estate.
Typical of todays Tory Government - fuck everyone else as long as the big fish in the pond get their own way.
Exactly. Although this lot can fuck off as far as i'm conderned , as they are in no way obtrusive, what if they are blocking motorists views.
Our street was missed out on the fibre rollout and were only given the fibre through a durham county initiative, otherwise we wouldn't have got it. I nearly cried with joy the day i seen the cabinet there.

Was working with an installer once and in a new town they tried to start in the poorest areas. People there are grateful and the posh folk then want what the poor people have so don't complain as much when they start

Wouldn't like them near my house. Unless it's an optical illusion the middle one must be 6' tall, however I'm certain I can see one of my old bosses on there so fk them :D
Some canny nice houses in Longdean as well.

The contractors Virgin use are sackless. A few year back they started digging up out street and gardens to install the cables. Only then to nash off after realising they got the wrong street and hadn't notified anyone about what they were doing.

Back