Charlton v Doncaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

From what I saw, I'd say they have a few standout players. But tonight was a different kind of game then we'll see at Wembley. For one thing, I can't see us giving Aribo and Taylor so much space.

Disgraceful that those two coppers (accompanied by a Charlton official) marched onto the pitch and told the ref they had to take pens at the Charlton end. The Donny Captain went to spin up for ends and the ref told him the decision and you could clearly see the Donny Captain said "why?" ... I think Donny deserve an explanation... it was advantage Charlton before a penalty was even taken.

BBC live updates reckon Doncaster won 3-4 on pens! :lol:
The BBC are clueless. They had the National League semi-final penalties wrong as well on their website (Salford v Eastleigh).

Last edited:
Disgraceful that those two coppers (accompanied by a Charlton official) marched onto the pitch and told the ref they had to take pens at the Charlton end. The Donny Captain went to spin up for ends and the ref told him the decision and you could clearly see the Donny Captain said "why?" ... I think Donny deserve an explanation... it was advantage Charlton before a penalty was even taken.

The BBC are clueless. They had the National League semi-final penalties wrong as well on their website (Salford v Eastleigh).

If Charlton can not guarantee the safety of fans, players etc... during the normal course of a match, then the game should have been abandoned by the referee and awarded to Doncaster.

The ref is there to apply the laws of the game and follow standard procedures.

Is that what happened? I wouldn't have accepted that if I was Doncaster captain or manager. They should have made more of it.

Is that what happened? I wouldn't have accepted that if I was Doncaster captain or manager. They should have made more of it.
That's exactly what happened ... 100% no ifs or buts.

To make the decision pre-match would have been bad enough (Donny would have had chance to have at least make their formal protest) but to march onto the pitch just prior to the penalties was bang out of order.

All the other penalty shoot-outs in the various play-offs this season from National League and above have all decided the end penalties are to be taken on the toss of a coin (as per the rules).

The police and safety officer will claim the decision was on safety grounds ... which is absolute tosh and everyone knows it.

From what I saw, I'd say they have a few standout players. But tonight was a different kind of game then we'll see at Wembley. For one thing, I can't see us giving Aribo and Taylor so much space.

This

To be fair, I thought both teams played some fast passing football and was thinking about the space we may leave.
However, despite Charlton having h a fairly solid defence of late, they looked shocking at the back
I have said I would like to think that our trip to Wembley a couple of month back would stand out players better in preparation and match day nerves but Charlton have a lot of decent young players and the occasion may spur them on.
Can see both teams scoring and a red card

That's shocking that like

Reactions: Boo
Hard to know what to make of it, Charlton and Doncaster was entertaining end to end stuff with fast attacking football that was good to watch. Compare that to the anti football from both teams in 2 legs of the Pompey tie and it's like watching a different sport, they are obviously a far superior footballing team but they should be easier to beat than Pompey were.

Reactions: Boo
I thought Doncaster played the better football, and would have caused us problems in the final
Charlton looked fairly average, however..... aribo and Taylor are going to cause us major problems, they are very good players at this level, we are going to have to be bang on to keep them quiet

I thought Charlton looked very nervous all game. And those nerves are only going to get worse at Wembley. This is one of the major positives I can see. Some of their lads were visibly shitting themselves. Whereas we have quite a few players who aren’t anywhere near the biggest game of their career. Catts, Grant, McGeady to name a few will definitely not be phased by Wembley, and we have been there before this season already. I think that this may be a large deciding factor, particularly if we can keep the game tight for longer and give them no release of a goal.

Before the game I definitely wanted Donny to win, but after that 90 I’d rather play Charlton. I think Doncaster’s style of movement and crossing would cause us more problems given what we’ve struggled against all season. Charlton also looked out on their feet by the end which is only a positive thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back