Championship relegation watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
glad jones is doing well seems a canny bloke just out of his depth at a bigger team or maybe the job was to early for him

I watched them v Leeds tonight and, despite Leeds missing a couple of great chances (the lights blinded, apparently them and they completely missed their headers) Luton looked really well organised with Jones and Harford constantly giving out instruction.

I watched them v Leeds tonight and, despite Leeds missing a couple of great chances (the lights blinded, apparently them and they completely missed their headers) Luton looked really well organised with Jones and Harford constantly giving out instruction.

That Bamford miss where he just fell out the way of a perfect cross dropping right onto his head had me laughing for a good ten minutes :lol:

It's even worse than that. We still have 5 players out on loan that cost 65M. All on huge contracts for another 2 - 4 years that nobody will buy. One player has a move lined up (Kevin Wimmer) for no loan fee and us paying all the wages.

On top of that we have two players we bought after relegation to the Championship, on top end Championship money, also out on loan that cost nearly 20M.

If Netflix want to better your fantastic series they could have a complete blockbuster on their hands with us.

"How to go from the top 10 of the Premier League to League One in 100M steps"

That sounds as bad as us.

Your owners need to sell up to give you a new start...... I know of some who could give you a new start...are your fans skilled in putting new seats in? ;)

Great point for us tonight , Bowyer made 7 changes saving Matthews and Mcgeady for the big one against Millwall on Friday. The last time we beat them Bowyer scored so that's how long we've waited to beat them
You’d be best served to keep Matthews out for rest of the season, f***ing shite.
I got 16/1 after the Reading game a few weeks ago. Stuck 50 quid on.
You have quality there. They’ll turn it on in time to get you out of trouble. It’s attitude and not ability that’s the problem. Bookies think the same seemingly.

It's even worse than that. We still have 5 players out on loan that cost 65M. All on huge contracts for another 2 - 4 years that nobody will buy. One player has a move lined up (Kevin Wimmer) for no loan fee and us paying all the wages.

On top of that we have two players we bought after relegation to the Championship, on top end Championship money, also out on loan that cost nearly 20M.

If Netflix want to better your fantastic series they could have a complete blockbuster on their hands with us.

"How to go from the top 10 of the Premier League to League One in 100M steps"
Yep we had 50 million out on loan a few years back... It beggars belief and you could end up with us.. I thought your owners were dont spend what you haven't got?.. Pulis had his critics but perhaps...he did well in reality

You’d be best served to keep Matthews out for rest of the season, f***ing shite.

You have quality there. They’ll turn it on in time to get you out of trouble. It’s attitude and not ability that’s the problem. Bookies think the same seemingly.
Matthews has been one of our best players

There's a thread on the Charlton site about Matthews , MOM against QPR. Here's a typical comment -

Fantastic against QPR. Kept the man rated at over £10m very quiet

He is someone that came in with a point to prove to people and, once he got his fitness back has shown he is a classy operator. So assured, surprisingly fast and also a decent delivery on him.

I would like to think he will be offered a decent long contract because he has nailed that slot completely. Very impressive player and a very impressive piece of scouting too

Some managers just fit a club. People forget that Jones inherited a shit-heap at Stoke, the squad was a mish mash of mistakes and Championship panic buys.

Yep O'Neill isnt doing well at Stoke either !.....they ie Stoke seem to be hell bent on c opying us ie appoint a proven manager at international level but to no effect

Yep we had 50 million out on loan a few years back... It beggars belief and you could end up with us.. I thought your owners were dont spend what you haven't got?.. Pulis had his critics but perhaps...he did well in reality

He did but he left at the right time. Media compared it to Charlton and Curbishley but it was far more nuanced than that. His last two seasons were on the downward trend. The issue was not seeing Pulis leave, it was who we replaced him with and how long we kept him.

Investment at the back end of the PL years was chronically bad and that has continued.

Yet PPG would have seen the promoted 3 all down, just sums up how farcical the situation was. The biggest nightmare for us is Huddersfield coming down, they’ll still be relatively prosperous, whereas Stoke, Hull and Boro would hit self destruct mode. The promoted 3 all smallish clubs with small resources but know this league well .....
Since the restart the championship seems to have bunched up at both ends of the table and there’s so much to play for. Your point is bang on the L1 and L2 decision is a farce.

I’d love to see someone from the media really take the football league to task and make them explain how deciding a race result can stand at 3/4 distance is any way fair. It’s looking like the championship is proof of how much things could still change. Just a shame theyre too busy writing about clubs being hard done by cos they can’t be taken over by tv pirates and got knocked out of the fa cup cos they’d have won if their fans were allowed in.

He was truly awful here

I wasnt a fan of Matthews in the Championship but he was good last season. Got nominated for football league player of the month by an independent panel for October. Got the injury before Pompey in December then Ross just went all in with O’Nien at right despite not being as good. Big mistake imo. We’d only lost 1 game all season before that.
He did but he left at the right time. Media compared it to Charlton and Curbishley but it was far more nuanced than that. His last two seasons were on the downward trend. The issue was not seeing Pulis leave, it was who we replaced him with and how long we kept him.

Investment at the back end of the PL years was chronically bad and that has continued.

Looked like it went downhill when Arnautovic left?

Last edited by a moderator:
PPG is a joke , we only went into the bottom 3 for the first time after the last game before lock down. We were due to be relegated if the championship had not restarted , 7 points from 3 games and things are looking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back