CC : Worcestershire v Durham

Absolutely. If players aren't producing the goods, then out you go. Same in football, if a striker isn't scoring goals then get him dropped.

Plenty waiting for a chance. McKinney, Jones, De Leede, Coughlin, Bushnell just to name a few.
I get your point of course he needs scores but you shouldn't be changing every 4 innings I reckon.

His average last season was heavily inflated by not outs he’s not the same player first spell he was more upright and played better through the offside.

Now he’s much more crabby and jabs and the ball nowhere near as fluent a batsman

His average last season was heavily inflated by not outs he’s not the same player first spell he was more upright and played better through the offside.

Now he’s much more crabby and jabs and the ball nowhere near as fluent a batsman
Jones had 2 not outs and Borthwick 4.

If you go runs per innings rather than average. Was 30 for Jones and 35 for Borthwick.

Reality is we likely need a better opener and then someone else(Lees) as captain.
Call it a generational thing. People who criticise are called haters hater (even defined that way now)

I'll stick the word criticism in instead for you ;)

Last edited:
I don’t think anybody hates Borthwick and that is a silly word to use.
It’s fair to say that everyone wants the best for all of Durham’s players but that does not exonerate anyone from criticism and it is true that Borthwick s
batting has been poor and a pale shadow of his best

Absolutely. If players aren't producing the goods, then out you go. Same in football, if a striker isn't scoring goals then get him dropped.

Plenty waiting for a chance. McKinney, Jones, De Leede, Coughlin, Bushnell just to name a few.
Its not the same as football in cricket the skipoer always geta an extendef run. Hr will get the first block of championship matches.

Borthwick is a home grown lad with 11k first class runs and 220 odd wickets. He took the captaincy over and lead us to div 1, has developed a good bond amongst the wider team, has slotted into different batting spots to accommodate others and generally gives the impression he is proud as punch to be Durham captain.

I am happy to cut him some slack if his form has dropped a little

RIP mate. Can't criticise the prodigal son.

TBF Jones was crap last season and we don't have any other openers banging down the door for selection.

I agree about "banging down the door" but ultimately my view is that sport is performance based, not sentiment based. Borthwick is a good lad, did amazingly well last year as captain but ultimately his job is to score runs as an opener, if he doesn't do that then I don't think it's wrong/unreasonable to expect a change, captain or not. You can't carry players in division one, you can get away with it in division two due to no relegation.

I think 4 failures is a fair enough compromise in division one when we have others available.

People using the word "hate" on here though :lol: :lol: :oops:

Its not hate its just he doesn't look the batsmen he once was since he returned to the club.
44 average last year is hardly poor
I agree about "banging down the door" but ultimately my view is that sport is performance based, not sentiment based. Borthwick is a good lad, did amazingly well last year as captain but ultimately his job is to score runs as an opener, if he doesn't do that then I don't think it's wrong/unreasonable to expect a change, captain or not. You can't carry players in division one, you can get away with it in division two due to no relegation.

I think 4 failures is a fair enough compromise in division one when we have others available.

People using the word "hate" on here though :lol: :lol: :oops:
Clarke used to be really poor bet you didn't want him dropped so fast

Clarke used to be really poor bet you didn't want him dropped so fast
Erm.....He was never selected much to be dropped but he was rightfully dropped (as I used to tell him) when he wasn't performing. He's his own main critic even defended the umpire for his LBW decision last week which he was kicking himself with. So in summary if Clark does poor I'll tend to tell him, likewise if he does well it's only fair to praise. He's a good honest lad.

Last edited:
Yes. It isn't just a few dodgy knocks this season.

He gets squared up a lot, seemed to be again today although the Duke is moving a lot.
You don't really criticise others much its bizarre
Erm.....He was never selected much to be dropped but he was rightfully dropped (as I used to tell him) when he wasn't performing. He's his own main critic even defended the umpire for his LBW decision last week which he was kicking himself with.
I do get what you're saying about Scott but using examples of people to come in who were worse than him eg Jones or people who aren't openers or who haven't looked up to it in limited opportunities or who aren't great full stop coughlin isn't the answer

Last edited:

Back