CC : Worcestershire v Durham

Well after today's game we bid farewell to Edgbaston's lifeless wicket and a boundary so short it looked like the spectators were watching from silly point and instead we find ourselves less than 20 miles away at Kidderminster - this is of course due to the extensive flooding at New Road.

We will be playing with the dukes ball after the two rounds with the kookaburra yielded one victory (Essex) in sixteen matches. With Scott Boland likely to be out with injury it looks like it will be between de Leede and Coughlin to take his place and as the latter would have got the nod for the flooded game against Hampshire I expect Coggs will be the replacement. This will mean that we'll have Raine in at nine having just missed out on a century and Pottsy in at ten having scored a total of 193 runs - such is the weird start to the 2024 season and of course none of our pace attack have yet to take a wicket!

Worcs finished Div 2 runners up to last season a long way behind us and when we played them in September in a rain affected match which ended in a draw our skipper scored an unbeaten 134 so let's hope he can repeat that feat. In their unofficial role as a feeder team for Notts they have lost Haynes, Pennington and Tongue to the East Midlands side although they have got Rob Jones from Lancs and none other than West Indian Jason Holder until the middle of May. It'll be interesting to see how Kashif Ali fares against our attack after hitting a century in both innings against Warwicks in their opening match.

Worcs are currently second in the league on 27pts while we are ninth on 19 pts but very early days of course. The weather appears to be OK for the four days if we believe that.

Haway Durham let's get that first victory of thr season !!

Think it’ll be a bloody tough game. Most publications I’ve seen had Worcester to finish bottom but they’ve had the better of both their games this season and only the weather probably prevented them from beating Notts.

I live an hour north of Kidderminster so I’m heading down on Sunday for day 3. Rather pleasingly that looks like the warmest day so looking forward to it.

I think this match will be very different to the game at Edgbaston. Hopefully the county have had their ground staff there preparing the wicket. Going to be interesting to see how an out ground wicket plays in mid April after the winter we have had.

I think this match will be very different to the game at Edgbaston. Hopefully the county have had their ground staff there preparing the wicket. Going to be interesting to see how an out ground wicket plays in mid April after the winter we have had.
Yes,presumably all New Road ground equipment will have been transferred to Kidderminster.Problem will be how much of it remains operable after the flooding.

Yes,presumably all New Road ground equipment will have been transferred to Kidderminster.Problem will be how much of it remains operable after the flooding.
I know the problem they had previously was being able to work on New Road but also prepare Kidderminster for 1st class cricket even before they are scheduled to play club cricket.
Its a pity because its a beautiful ground but probably should have left years ago.

Durham 4/6 to win (draw no bet) i reckon last season they would have been 1/3 in div 2.
Looks appealing to me on a treble over the weekend.

Last edited:
Have Worcestershire brought in any temporary stands/seating? Seen some pictures of the ground and it doesn’t have any permanent seating at all aside from four rows of benches infront of a very narrow pavilion.

Last edited:
I know your no Doctor but could this be his stint done?

If it's anything like what I've had then he's going to struggled. It's an absolute minefield, I've seen reports saying it's "sore heel", "heel pain", "PF", "heel niggle" which I guess is true it can all be described as that but it can be bloody painful as well. As @Twisted has said, it's something you have to manage very carefully. Depending how bad it is, he could get a steroid injection (not pleasant) and it would last about 6 months. It's an absolute minefield to treat, there is no easy fix. Watch this space I guess but I'm not hopeful but obviously hope I am totally wrong and he can shake it off.

If it's anything like what I've had then he's going to struggled. It's an absolute minefield, I've seen reports saying it's "sore heel", "heel pain", "PF", "heel niggle" which I guess is true it can all be described as that but it can be bloody painful as well. As @Twisted has said, it's something you have to manage very carefully. Depending how bad it is, he could get a steroid injection (not pleasant) and it would last about 6 months. It's an absolute minefield to treat, there is no easy fix. Watch this space I guess but I'm not hopeful but obviously hope I am totally wrong and he can shake it off.
had it 2 sumnmers ago, wasnt as such in my heel in but under into the arch of my foot took months to sort and was f***ing agony when it flared up

Yeah, my point was mainly that this would have been known about if it was PF.

Back