CC :: Essex v Durham

Absolutely pathetic from Durham and what is worse....absolutely predictable.
Come on, it's disappointing to lose obviously but we would he hoping to challenge for promotion from league two and we've just given the best side over the last two years a hell of a run for their money. I bet they haven't had many tougher games than that over the last few years. A couple of promising performances to start the season.

I wasn’t, I’ve been busy this morning, but checked the score and remembered how I called it at the time.

Jack Burnham wasn’t the reason we lost this. When you get skittled for 120 you can hardly blame the bloke who top scored......
He started it though. He just needed to keep things steady and then suddenly he wanted to play shots. That was not the position to do that. It was the manner in which he got out and we collapsed soon afterwards

He started it though. He just needed to keep things steady and then suddenly he wanted to play shots. That was not the position to do that. It was the manner in which he got out and we collapsed soon afterwards
He played shots his whole innings, Topley on commentary noted how calculated he was in doing it and how quickly he picked up length and pace. I’m sure there’s nobody as annoyed he got out as him, but we lost 9 other wickets to that one and if only one more player scored 40 odd we’d have won.

Come on, it's disappointing to lose obviously but we would he hoping to challenge for promotion from league two and we've just given the best side over the last two years a hell of a run for their money. I bet they haven't had many tougher games than that over the last few years. A couple of promising performances to start the season.
Fair enough .We'll just have to see how we do against fellow mid table Div 2 side Derbyshire on Thursday.

Burnham. Both the hero and villain of the hour. Only he could manage to achieve that. Got ourselves into winning positions but could not capitalise on them. Couldn’t polish off their tail in the second innings and got off to a disastrous start with the bat in our second innings. Just shows we are still weak in some areas. Could maybe do with a class spinning all rounder. However I am convinced that we have improved on the last couple of seasons but there is still work to do.

This is all down to Harmer. Essex have a pretty ordinary pace attack but a great spinner was enough to defeat Durham who I think had a better batting and bowling divisions - apart from spin. Maybe Durham batsmen aren't as proficient against spin, at least the home grown ones.

Disappointing two games but at least we've been more than competitive in both. A big advance.

Or you could look at Notts,who haven't won a game,batting all the last day for the loss of 5 wkts and Essex tail batting 60 overs. Durham were batting today on a slow,flat track not a bunsen. Promising? Depends on your expectations I suppose.

This is all down to Harmer. Essex have a pretty ordinary pace attack but a great spinner was enough to defeat Durham who I think had a better batting and bowling divisions - apart from spin. Maybe Durham batsmen aren't as proficient against spin, at least the home grown ones.

Disappointing two games but at least we've been more than competitive in both. A big advance.
that'll be the Harmer that our tail batted though a whole session on Friday?

As you're probably aware, I'm an Essex supporter of decades standing, so declined to comment too much, so as not to antagonise anyone.

It was a very Essex performance, knowing how to win a game from a dire position, and executing it superbly. I think some of the criticism of Durham has been a bit harsh, though.

Let's not forget that after 4 overs of the run chase, Durham hadn't scored but already had two batsmen back in the pavilion, after conceding 50+ 8th and 9th wicket partnerships. Holding your nerve applies to every player, not just someone who made 40-odd when chasing a sub-170 target.

It will hold Durham in good stead if they learn not only from their errors, but also what their opponents did well, when next in a match winning position.

Or you could look at Notts,who haven't won a game,batting all the last day for the loss of 5 wkts and Essex tail batting 60 overs. Durham were batting today on a slow,flat track not a bunsen. Promising? Depends on your expectations I suppose.
Did you expect to go to Essex and win?

Pathetic didn't even watch it as it was so predictable after last night.

If we tidied up their tail for 250 in the second innings, like we should have done, we'd have won that match at a canter.

Bowling attack is one dimensional. If the pitch isn't seaming, we are bollocksed. We need greater depth and variety, e.g. a left armer, and an off-spinner. Carse needs to cut out all the buffet balls or be used sparingly. He also needs to learn how to reverse swing the ball as bowling fast alone isn't enough on a flat wicket.

Regarding batting, we need to cut out all that 5/3 shite and depending on the tailenders to rescue the innings. Batsmen need to work on defending in a pressure situation. Alex Lees is a repeat culprit for surrendering his wicket cheaply in those situations.

Cook looks a dangerous bowler, I'd rank him at Rushworth quality.

Not knowing how to play spin is embarrassing though. We need to sort that out as the wickets will play dry this year due to the dry spring. Harmer is going to get a bucket of wickets

Last edited:

Back